Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Jayasuriya v Ponting in odi as cricketers

State 12th Man
    sanath, but not by a large margin by any means

he took 300+ wickets , only 10 others have done that, just saying
    Last edited by abmk; 07-02-2011 at 02:34 AM.

Jayasuriya's bowling was fantastic so that probably swings it his way.
    "I will go down as Darren Sammy, the one who always smiles" - Darren Sammy

Hall of Fame Member honestbharani's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikki View Post
    Sanath was a fantastic player...but: top 5 batsman of all-time, arguably the greatest ODI captain of all time and in the top handful of fielders of all-time. Jayasuriya's bowling just doesn't make enough ground for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Debris View Post
    Jayasuriya was a good fieldsman but Ponting was a great fieldsman. He would have to be in contention for the best fieldsman of the modern era, certainly in the top 5. In no way was their fielding equal.

I really wonder how much emphasis you guys place on a strong arm.. I would think, Aussies, of all people would appreciate the value of rocket throws being just as important as the ability to anticipate and dive around.. And as catchers, I don't really see any reason why Ponting should be considered better than Jayasuriya...
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.

Check out this awesome e-fed:

PWE Efed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 8ankitj View Post
    It's also interesting to note how huge a step was Jayasuriya's aggressive batting in 96 WC for SL cricket. They became a world beater from a minnow overnight! I remember how I though of SL before and after the 96 world cup was poles apart. I know there were others who deserve credit for that transformation. Arguably, De Silva's contribution was even bigger in SL's WC campaign. But it was Jayasuriya's destructive batting that left an enduring image in everyone's mind.
    Ditto

Quote Originally Posted by honestbharani View Post
    And as catchers, I don't really see any reason why Ponting should be considered better than Jayasuriya...
    I am thinking along the same lines.
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

State 12th Man
    I really wonder how much emphasis you guys place on a strong arm.. I would think, Aussies, of all people would appreciate the value of rocket throws being just as important as the ability to anticipate and dive around.. And as catchers, I don't really see any reason why Ponting should be considered better than Jayasuriya...
    ponting is/was CLEARLY the better catcher.

As far as inflicting run-outs is concerned, IMO ponting had/has no superior .

vcs
    Quote Originally Posted by 8ankitj View Post
    It's also interesting to note how huge a step was Jayasuriya's aggressive batting in 96 WC for SL cricket. They became a world beater from a minnow overnight! I remember how I though of SL before and after the 96 world cup was poles apart. I know there were others who deserve credit for that transformation. Arguably, De Silva's contribution was even bigger in SL's WC campaign. But it was Jayasuriya's destructive batting that left an enduring image in everyone's mind.
    Hmm.. I think they definitely were the in-form ODI side heading into the tournament (it was pretty open with no clear pre-tournament favourites, somewhat like this year). Not minnows at all for mine in '96.

Catching there isn't that much difference - although Ponting was probably just that bit more naturally gifted.

Run-outs though, yeah. I don't think I've seen anyone hit the stumps on demand more than he has, ever.
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

get ready for a broken ****in' arm

Ponting, WAG.
    Isnít it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too? Ė Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    The reason people don't cheer for India is nothing to do with them being number one

It's because Teja is a ****, FTR

Difficult decision is difficult.
    Both boss batsmen no doubt.
    Sanath's savage batting and canny clever spinners, 8 4fers and 4 5fers.
    Ponting's skippership and great ODI leadership esp. WC's (dealwithithaters.pdf) and consistent attacking batting and amazing fielding.
    Ind vs PAK Semi Final: PAK WINS

Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    So many memes in one post.
    Parmi | #1 draft pick | Jake King is **** | Big Bash League tipping champion of the universe
    Come and Paint Turtle
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Kohli. Do something in test cricket for once please.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Julian87 View Post
    Ponting comfortably when you consider the fielding and captaincy. The batting is a no contest.

Yeah Jaya took a lot of wickets but I don't think his bowling was strong enough to tip the scale.
    Jayasuriya is a very successful ODI captain too. Ponting is nowhere "comfortably" better than Jaya in the field, and Jaya was one of the best fielders in the world in early to late 90s. Ponting's captaining is not a strong contention because even Boycs' grandma would have captained that Aussie team in to wins.

As a batsman, Ponting. As a player Jayasuriya.
    Member of the Sanga fan club. (Ugh! it took me so long to become a real fan of his)

Quote Originally Posted by robelinda View Post
    Always thought it was Kalu who was the one who started it, in 1995. Jayasuriya took a backseat for while until he finally cut loose in that WC. Kalu was brilliant in 1995/96 in Australia, left Sanath in the dust.
    Nah, Jaya was used in this mode in as early as 1993. I can remember in 1994 he was used at #3 to counter Wasim and Abdul Qadir (who was making a return IIRC). He smashed all of them to all the corners. Kalu was promoted there because he was a very good player of short bowling, where Mahanama was found wanting against.

International Debutant
    Quote Originally Posted by Migara View Post
    Jayasuriya is a very successful ODI captain too. Ponting is nowhere "comfortably" better than Jaya in the field, and Jaya was one of the best fielders in the world in early to late 90s. Ponting's captaining is not a strong contention because even Boycs' grandma would have captained that Aussie team in to wins.

As a batsman, Ponting. As a player Jayasuriya.
    Yes Ponting is comfortably better in the feild.

International Debutant
    Are you trying to suggest Jayasuriya had a better arm than Ponting?

Pontings arm is dynomite

There was a period in 09 recently where Ponting was running out a batsman with direct hits almost every other match. It was insane.

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread Information