• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

"The WACA groundsman was subsequently dismissed..."

shashy

School Boy/Girl Captain
18 years ago today Curtly Ambrose bowled that 7 for 1 spell, and having read Cricinfo's 'down the years' piece on it, it reminded me that the WACA groundsman got sacked afterwards.
I've often thought that this was unbelievably harsh on the groundsman. I mean, what was he meant to do, prepare a dustbowl? It's the WACA ffs!

Anyways, I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on this, as it's something that's always somewhat irked me...

Last edited:

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Didn't one of the West Indian tailenders get run out because his bat got stuck in a crack? When that's happening, something's gone wrong.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
There was a 1cm wide crack staring at the batsman on a good length just out side off. Ambrose kept hitting it and no one could survive that, even Bradman, when Ambrose was in that mood. When the surface resembles a lunar landscape, they there is something wrong.

0RI0N

State 12th Man
Was there a more feared fast bowler in the last 20years than CEL Ambrose?

a) Yes
b) N0
c) NZ = Australia lite

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
You guys are confusing the 1993 test with the 1997 one. In 1997 it had all the crazy cracks, and Ambrose got his bat stuck in the crack and got run out.

robelinda

Oh, and the groundsman was fired after the 1997 test, not the 1993 one. Well actually, I know he got fired after the 1997 test, but I thought he got a massive reprimand after 1993, but cant quite remember him being fired.

Last edited:

shashy

School Boy/Girl Captain
Curtly's seventh heaven | Cricinfo Magazine | ESPN Cricinfo

'The WACA groundsman was subsequently dismissed for preparing such a home away from home for Ambrose and friends.'

This is what I meant. If he was sacked, it has to be one of the most outrageous dismissals I've ever heard of. I'm trying to figure out exactly what kind of pitch he was meant to have prepared in order to give the advantage to Australia.

robelinda

They got it wrong. That pitch wasnt that bad in 93, nor was it great, but it was horrible in 97, worst pitch seen in Australia in decades, and he was fired definitely in 97. Not the the first or last time Cricinfo gets facts wrong.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
WACA was horrible in the match against SL in 95/95 tour too. Although batsmen scored runs on it, it just disintegrated and opened up on 5th day. Once again there was a bleedingly obvious crack on outside off stump on a medium pacers length. McG and co trying to hit that were taken to the cleaners by Jayasuriya, but once Jaya got out, Steve Waugh was kept hitting it and got four wickets. Kaluwitharana and Aravinda got out to some oddly behaving balls IIRC.

robelinda

WACA was horrible in the match against SL in 95/95 tour too. Although batsmen scored runs on it, it just disintegrated and opened up on 5th day. Once again there was a bleedingly obvious crack on outside off stump on a medium pacers length. McG and co trying to hit that were taken to the cleaners by Jayasuriya, but once Jaya got out, Steve Waugh was kept hitting it and got four wickets. Kaluwitharana and Aravinda got out to some oddly behaving balls IIRC.
Jayasuriya didnt play in that test, neither did Steve Waugh. Thinking of the Adelaide test I think there mate, 3rd test in the series. WACA pitch in that series was FLAT FLAT FLAT.

robelinda

Been doing some thinking about that 1993 test, Scott Hamilton was the curator back then yeah? Or was in Ken Johnston? I think Ken was around since the 80's, I can kind of remember a bit of press about Scott being the new guy and all the WACA hype fast pitch stuff, I also remember David Crane being head curator around 1995 or so, I wonder if anyone has any more info? I'm starting to think maybe I was wrong and Scott was dismissed after 1993.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Am very sure that someone got the sack after the 1997 fiasco. Think Les Burdett might've even been used as a "consultant" afterwards.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Jayasuriya didnt play in that test, neither did Steve Waugh. Thinking of the Adelaide test I think there mate, 3rd test in the series. WACA pitch in that series was FLAT FLAT FLAT.
Ya, my bad, that was Adelaide. WACA was a run orgy in that season.

Debris

International 12th Man
That groundsman was sacked for destroying one of the great pitches of world cricket. The WACA was known around the world as the fastest and bounciest pitch in the world until that guy massacred it. He took one of the great pitches of world cricket and destroyed it. It has taken 10 years to recover and only now is it starting to get back to what is was.

Sacking was too good for him. :@