• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

"No i will not have any trouble facing Marshall."

shivfan

Banned
He might have taught him to bowl reverse swing but having seen a bit of Marshall towards the end of his career I don't recall any reverse swing from him
Well, I saw a bit of him in his later career, and I do recall some reverse swing from him....

And so does Holding:

"He was an excellent cricketer. He would swing it in both directions and he had a smart cricket brain." Michael Holding, 'No Holding Back', p73.

Sure, he probably didn't swing it as often as Wasim and Waqar. But that's maybe because he didn't need to, and only did it occasionally. After all, he was getting wickets pretty regularly, even in his post-30 years.

smash84

The Tiger King
Well, I saw a bit of him in his later career, and I do recall some reverse swing from him....

And so does Holding:

"He was an excellent cricketer. He would swing it in both directions and he had a smart cricket brain." Michael Holding, 'No Holding Back', p73.

Sure, he probably didn't swing it as often as Wasim and Waqar. But that's maybe because he didn't need to, and only did it occasionally. After all, he was getting wickets pretty regularly, even in his post-30 years.
Swinging it both ways doesn't necessarily mean reverse swing. You can swing it conventionally with the new ball as well. I think Holding means swinging with the new ball here.

It might be that he was able to reverse swing the ball but i don't recall it and have not read much about him reverse swinging the ball. Either way he is arguable the finest fast bowler ever to play the game.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don't think Marshall could swing the old ball. Marshall was probably a better bowling machine than Wasim but I would have to say that Wasim could probably do more with the ball. He could make the old ball swing both ways in the air and off the pitch. Something Marshall was not so good at because he wasn't really known for reverse swing.
Bottletop.jpeg

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
You really dug up a thread that hadn't been posted in for ten months for that?

Thanks bro.
I hadnt been on the forum for almost a year so was going through some of the older threads randomly and found that piece of gold...too good to resist..had to bring it back :p

Outswinger@Pace

International 12th Man
"No, I will not have any trouble facing Marshall" - No humbleness.

"Yes, I will have trouble facing Marshall. Everyone does" - No confidence.

Can't win, really. :)

"Can't say for sure. Marshall's a great bowler but as with any bowler, I'd try to play every ball on its merit and see how it goes." - Tactfulness!

But the lad was 15 and not training to be an political diplomat, so I'd cut him some slack.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Bradman would have never said that obv. In fact he would have stopped him in his run up and given him a blow job. Thats how good he was in humbleness compared to Tendulkar. So to conclude, Bradman>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Tendulkar.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Someone finds fault with what the 15 year old rather innocently says. Guess we've seen it all here.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
"Can't say for sure. Marshall's a great bowler but as with any bowler, I'd try to play every ball on its merit and see how it goes." - Tactfulness!

But the lad was 15 and not training to be an political diplomat, so I'd cut him some slack.
Haha, no way. That's how he's been trying to handle every B&W question since , and he's constantly accused of not speaking his mind.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member

Haha, no way. That's how he's been trying to handle every B&W question since , and he's constantly accused of not speaking his mind.
Hoe wins this thread, clearly.