• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Greatest Cricketer Ever

Spark

Global Moderator
I thought he said he'd average around 70...

Yep, 70. And yes, it was Tendulkar.

Finally, to lighten his Bradman-esque aura, Tendulkar tells a lovely story about him and Warne visiting the old master. He neglects to mention he was the only modern player Bradman included in his best-ever XI and chooses, instead, to highlight the warmth of their meeting. "We went to see him on his 90th birthday. It was very special. We were talking about averages and I said, 'Sir Don, if you were playing today, what would you have averaged?' And he said, '70 – probably.' I asked, 'Why 70 and not your actual average of 99?' Bradman said, 'Come on, an average of 70 is not bad for a 90-year-old man.'"
Tendulkar rocks back in his chair and laughs. In this humorous moment, as one cricketing giant thinks of another, it's easy to admire the same qualities in Tendulkar. "This is what I tell my son. Whether you're an 11-year-old boy or Don Bradman we should never forget it's just a game we can all enjoy."

Last edited:

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I have heard the above anecdote about 2232451 different times. It was 70 instead of 50 FTR.

EDIT : Beaten to it by Spark.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, I was hearing that story years before anyone had heard of Tendulkar, so either Bradman told that story a hell of a lot, or that Bradman-Tendulkar exchange was - ahem - contrived or embellished a little.

Teja.

Global Moderator
Yeah, I was hearing that story years before anyone had heard of Tendulkar, so either Bradman told that story a hell of a lot, or that Bradman-Tendulkar exchange was - ahem - contrived or embellished a little.
I think the former was the case as Warne talks of the same incident and mentions that it happened when Sachin and he went to see Bradman. So it is either that Bradman just told the story a lot or that Sachin and Warne secretly met and planned to create the event so as to have something humorous to say in gatherings and interviews.(:ph34r:)

Occam's razor, I guess.

smash84

The Tiger King
Maybe Bradman got asked the question a lot and adjusted his answer according to age
I think Bradman, despite his impressive array of shots, was short on having good jokes in his repertoire. Maybe that is why he always fit this joke on every occasion.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
The thing about Indian media and Sachin is that you can't lose (and you always gain, sometimes a LOT) by praising him and getting people to come up with good stuff about him.. And they try to outdo each other.. He is very much the Rajinikanth of cricket but Rajini only does a movie every 3rd year and Sachin plays almost every month... And he is FAR more famous.. So even a guy who has played very little cricket gets interviewed coz he "may" juz find a new way to praise Sachin. And if you are an excricketer or juz a cricketer trying to make a name for yourself in the media as an analyst of the game or whatever, the easiest way to hit the headlines is to say something good (and somewhat original and different to the usual)..

But Gavaskar definitely thinks the WORLD of Sachin.. He has real affection for the man.. Rohan Gavaskar once said he suspects Sunny loves Sachin more than his own son.. :laugh:

Teja.

Global Moderator
Meh, It's one thing to call someone calling Sachin the best ludicrous and completely another to say they had ulterior motives for doing so. If Kane Williamson, Nasser Hussian, Graham Onions and Phil Hughes think Sachin is the greatest batsman of all-time, it might be regarded as a fail opinion considering Bradman is a lot better than him but it's lolworthy and insulting to say they're doing it for media attention or headlines and don't genuinely believe in their opinion.

Last edited:

Maximus0723

State Regular
Both are Marathi. Both are from Mumbai. Gavaskar is very patriotic.

Cricinfo is taking big advantage of Tendulkar popularity. I mean when he does something semi-special there is such a big thing and when it's someone else, meh. It has become so obvious now. It's hard to blame them though. Large part of their audience are Indian fans. Indians love when something about them is praised. So it has become a perfect way to attract more viewers and eventually make tons of money.

Notice how Ponting is portrayed as well. Everyone knows that large part of Indian fans don't like Ponting b/c one he is on par with Tendulkar and two he is an Australian. Every time Tendulkar succeeds and every time Ponting fails, there is some sort of comparison going on trying to make Tendulkar look better. Indian fans bite that, hence more money for Cricinfo.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Both are Marathi. Both are from Mumbai. Gavaskar is very patriotic.

Cricinfo is taking big advantage of Tendulkar popularity. I mean when he does something semi-special there is such a big thing and when it's someone else, meh. It has become so obvious now. It's hard to blame them though. Large part of their audience are Indian fans. Indians love when something about them is praised. So it has become a perfect way to attract more viewers and eventually make tons of money.

Notice how Ponting is portrayed as well. Everyone knows that large part of Indian fans don't like Ponting b/c one he is on par with Tendulkar and two he is an Australian. Every time Tendulkar succeeds and every time Ponting fails, there is some sort of comparison going on trying to make Tendulkar look better. Indian fans bite that, hence more money for Cricinfo.
Christ, you've been reading my mind. Well, bloody, said.

Howe_zat

Audio File
While i accept that Cricinfo and their ilk will try and appeal to their audience (what media outlet doesn't?) you have to admit that in their recent Ponting-Tendulkar comparison piece, they had plenty of evidence to work with.

I can't remember that specifically being done on Cricinfo repeatedly either, though I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Interesting that Indian fans had no problem with Steve Waugh when he was Sachin's greatest rival.