• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best All-Rounder ever

cricket100%

Cricket Spectator
Who is the best all-rounder ever?:huh:

Is it Shaun Pollock, Ian Botham, Kapil Dev, Jacques Kallis, or someone else. Well it is for you to decide. Please post if there is someone that I missed and you consider him good enough to be there.

Thanks

smash84

The Tiger King

Is it Shaun Pollock, Ian Botham, Kapil Dev, Jacques Kallis, or someone else. Well it is for you to decide. Please post if there is someone that I missed and you consider him good enough to be there.

Thanks
You missed some of the best actually. Keith Miller, Imran Khan, and Gary Sobers.

kingkallis

International Coach
There are some great all-rounders but my Top 10 would be :

Garfield Sobers
Jacques Kallis
Imran Khan
Keith Miller
Richard Hadlee
Ian Botham
Andrew Flintoff
Kapil Dev
Shaun Pollock
Daniel Vettori / Heath Streak / Shakib Al Hasan

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!

Thanks
If you're talking Test cricket (which is generally taken as a given on this forum unless stated otherwise) then you really need to look at batting & bowling all-rounders separately based on the fact there's yet to be a test allrounder who's world-class with both bat & ball throughout their entire test careers i.e >40 batting average & <25 bowling average.

For me, there's only four in the debate; the top 2 batting allrounders; Sobers & Kallis & the 2 best bowling allrounders; Miller & Imran

If you are looking at the shorter term however, Botham was genuinely world-class with both bat & ball early in his career. After his first 25 tests was averaging 40.48 & 18.52 respectively

Last edited:

Dissector

International Debutant
IMO Sobers was the best batting all-rounder and Imran the best bowling all-rounder. Hard to separate the two. Imran was a great captain but Sobers was a superlative fielder and a versatile bowler.

A name that deserves to be thrown in the mix: Aubrey Faulkner from South Africa who averaged 41 with the bat and 27 with the ball. His performance in the series against England in 1909-10 was arguably the greatest ever in the history of cricket.

Last edited:

Howe_zat

Audio File
I think the top names are usually accepted to be:

Gary Sobers
Imran Khan
Keith Miller
Ian Botham
Kapil Dev
Aubrey Faulkner
Jacques Kallis
Richard Hadlee
Mike Proctor
Shaun Pollock

And past that you just have to go with personal preference. Imran Khan is probably my favourite ever cricketer.

Four South Africans in the top 10...

Himannv

International Coach
Faulkner, Rhodes and Woolley should be right up there. J.R Reid is quite underrated as well IMO.

As someone else said, Sobers was the best batting all-rounder and Imran the best bowling all-rounder.

smash84

The Tiger King
Faulkner, Rhodes and Woolley should be right up there. J.R Reid is quite underrated as well IMO.

As someone else said, Sobers was the best batting all-rounder and Imran the best bowling all-rounder.
That Faulkner guy was quite outstanding. Seems to be quite under-rated.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
There are many and if you are genuinely interested, take a search for Sobers/Kallis.. There was a thread specific to it. And if you want, we can continue discussion there.

Dissector

International Debutant
Four South Africans in the top 10...
Trevor Goddard also deserves mention as another South African is who is at least close to the top 10.

Vinoo Mankad too, who is the first great cricketer produced by India. I think his record, particularly in bowling,doesn't do full justice to him. He was handicapped by playing for a weak team with a very weak fielding unit and also missed some of his best years because of WW2.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Trevor Goddard also deserves mention as another South African is who is at least close to the top 10.

Vinoo Mankad too, who is the first great cricketer produced by India. I think his record, particularly in bowling,doesn't do full justice to him. He was handicapped by playing for a weak team with a very weak fielding unit and also missed some of his best years because of WW2.
Thank you for those 2 names. Certainly very under-rated.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
My top 10 cricketers who were all-rounders are:

Sobers
Imran
Hadlee
Miller
Botham
Kapil
Kallis
Pollock
Faulkner