• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Amongst current batsmen from the sub-continent,who is the best player of pace?

Best player of pace from Sc amongst current players is...

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
And watch out for Mathews. He's also a sublime player of pace. You don't get players who cut, pull and hook Jhonson with disdian and then driving him on the up for sixes that often. But he has a huge hole in his tehnique against spin. But with other SL bastmen's ability against spin he'll be protected a lot from being cornered and attacked by spin.

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
And watch out for Mathews. He's also a sublime player of pace. You don't get players who cut, pull and hook Jhonson with disdian and then driving him on the up for sixes that often. But he has a huge hole in his tehnique against spin. But with other SL bastmen's ability against spin he'll be protected a lot from being cornered and attacked by spin.
Yeah but we are talking Australia here ....what about some real quality pace attacks i.e. SAFFERS or England? :ph34r:

smash84

The Tiger King
Yes. Sanga scored 287, 14 and 39 when that happened.

And BTW, in 90s SC player that handled Imran, Wasim and Waqar best was de Silva. He was a bit above Tendulkar in that aspect, because he just destroyed them when on song.

Sanga might have some way to go, and that's the reason I said he should get his Average in SAF and ENG over 50. If that happens you can't simply dismiss on weight of runs.
I was thinking the same thing when I was writing about Sachin. De Silva was an absolute master when facing those 3. He had faced all 3 of them during their good years and had played very well.

smash84

The Tiger King
DeSilva>>>>all from 90s
Sanga>>>>>all from 00

Mathews> all except sanga

mirite?
That might be stretching it IMO. Ranatunga himself wasn't such a bad batsman. And then there were others like Atapattu, Gurusinghe etc. These guys were not bad batsmen. De Silva was better than them but not that >>>>>>>> compared to them

And Sanga is not >>>>>>> than Jayawardena.......

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Sanga is the best plyer in the world IMO

Superb in defence and great attacking ability

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Sangakkara has a weakness against the swinging ball for him to be the best.

And that is why Zaheer and even Pathan have troubled him in India. And that is why also he has relatively struggled in England.

He is a great at facing bounce and pace and even uneven bounce ,though.

Teja.

Global Moderator
Dravid being technically brilliant is a bit overstated, IMHO. He has this annoying habit of playing every ball regardless of how far it is from the off stump and his offensive technique isn't as good as say, Sanga. I'd have no problem placing Sanga above him in the AT stakes if Sanga goes on like this for 2 more years. Sanga is an incredible bat.

Cricket_God

U19 Cricketer
Dravid being technically brilliant is a bit overstated, IMHO. He has this annoying habit of playing every ball regardless of how far it is from the off stump and his offensive technique isn't as good as say, Sanga. I'd have no problem placing Sanga above him in the AT stakes if Sanga goes on like this for 2 more years. Sanga is an incredible bat.
Sangakara sits on the backfoot mosttimes thats why he is great against bouncing ball,but that habbitb has lead to front foot not getting far ahead ,where as dravid at his peak had great backfoot and front foot play not to mention he did face better attacks.dravid is better than sanga till now.

Xuhaib

International Coach
all great batsman will have some chinks otherwise they will never get out, Dravid on a seaming tracks is one of the best things I have seen in cricket since 2000.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
I also agree that Sanga has to put some more runs on the board to match Dravid. But if he can get 10k - 12k runs averaging 50 in Aus, SAF and ENG, and overall 55+, well then would have done enough to be equal with (or go pass) Dravid and SRT. I ma sure that he'll do it, but not sure whether he'll achieve a average of 50 in India BTW.

But to do that the frikkin' overseas matches are needed!

Spark

Global Moderator
Think it's rank that, IIRC, Jayawardene/Sanga could end their careers having never played a Boxing Day test.

Teja.

Global Moderator
I also agree that Sanga has to put some more runs on the board to match Dravid. But if he can get 10k - 12k runs averaging 50 in Aus, SAF and ENG, and overall 55+, well then would have done enough to be equal with (or go pass) Dravid and SRT. I ma sure that he'll do it, but not sure whether he'll achieve a average of 50 in India BTW.

But to do that the frikkin' overseas matches are needed!
Sachin a bit too far, IMO. Pretty much equals in class, though. He'll go past Dravid pretty easily, for mine.