• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CW Ranks Top 25 Batsmen of All Time (Version 2010)

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I'm devastated for Tendulkar that Richards got voted ahead of him. I just wonder what exactly Sachin has to do to be ranked ahead of him. Perhaps some of the voters are waiting for him to retire..

3 SACHIN TENDULKAR
2 Graeme Pollock
1 Sunil Gavaskar

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
I'll be devastated that Chappell (G) won't get in but Sachin will; but it'll probably happen.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
I'm devastated for Tendulkar that Richards got voted ahead of him. I just wonder what exactly Sachin has to do to be ranked ahead of him. Perhaps some of the voters are waiting for him to retire..
Probably win the 2011 World Cup, continue the current form in tests for another 2 years or so, and then retire. I shall be happy to rank him at no. 2 after that, forget Richards.

By the way, last time CW ranked Sachin ahead of Viv, and this time also it was looking such from the voting patterns for rank 1, 2 and 3. That's the reason I became overconfident about him and showed honestly to place Hammond and Hutton above him in my voting. And, he lost by 1 vote. I take the blame from other Sachin fans :(

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I really hate tactical voting in this; it just removes the point. Especially when it's really obvious and the 2 and 1 options are genuine prank-cricketers who obviously won't topple the 3 vote. If I was running it I'd actually disqualify all votes I didn't think were a "serious and honest attempt." Just me though.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
If I was running it I'd actually disqualify all votes I didn't think were a "serious and honest attempt."
That wouldn't change the result in any way. Agarkar isn't gonna come in top 25, don't worry. And what if people start putting Dravid or Martin Crowe in place of the usual Agarkars and all? How would you decide whether those are 'serious and honest', or not? I could easily vote like this now for rank 5 - Tendulkar (3), Crowe (2) and Dravid (1). It won't be honest from my side. I might be doing this because I am sure the last two has virtually no chance of coming as rank 5 (according to the voting pattern till now). But how can you come to the conclusion about my honesty and seriousness from that voting (especially given that Crowe and Dravid were actually very good batsmen)?

I believe the current system is the best. And indulge in tactical voting if you wish to :p . Different voters are voting with different purpose, that's what makes it fair.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
That wouldn't change the result in any way. Agarkar isn't gonna come in top 25, don't worry. And what if people start putting Dravid or Martin Crowe in place of the usual Agarkars and all? How would you decide whether those are 'serious and honest', or not?
Yeah, but I disqualify the 3-vote as well. If someone went, for example,

3 - Hammond
2 - Agarkar
1 - Pujara

I'd just render the whole thing invalid. It's quite clearly a tactical vote to get one player in at the expense of the spirit of the voting process. Players shouldn't suffer merely because their fans aren't cheap ****s.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, but I disqualify the 3-vote as well. If someone went, for example,

3 - Hammond
2 - Agarkar
1 - Pujara

I'd just render the whole thing invalid. It's quite clearly a tactical vote to get one player in at the expense of the spirit of the voting process. Players shouldn't suffer merely because their fans aren't cheap ****s.
That's not the point. The point is you won't disqualify a vote like Hammond (3), Dravid (2) and Crowe (1) even though it can be dishonest as well, in some cases (but you can't be sure). In that way, your process will be much more unfair than mine.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
That's not the point. The point is you won't disqualify a vote like Hammond (3), Dravid (2) and Crowe (1) even though it can be dishonest as well, in some cases (but you can't be sure). In that way, your process will be much more unfair than mine.
Yeah, people should at least put some effort into masking their cheating though. :p
Really I just think it's a dog act regardless tbh.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
I really hate tactical voting in this; it just removes the point. Especially when it's really obvious and the 2 and 1 options are genuine prank-cricketers who obviously won't topple the 3 vote. If I was running it I'd actually disqualify all votes I didn't think were a "serious and honest attempt." Just me though.
To be honest with my votes therefore, I have drawn my own list of 25 batsmen/bowlers from which I keep striking off those who are already ranked, and keep posting the top-3 from remaining. :cool:

Last edited:

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, people should at least put some effort into masking their cheating though. :p
Really I just think it's a dog act regardless tbh.
No, I guess it's a perfectly OK technique to 'pass' some of your votes like Hurricane does, sometimes. Because you can vote for 3, doesn't necessarily require you to vote for 3. That's the rule here. Some (like Hurricane) sometimes vote for one (3 points), and pass the other two votes (2 points and 1 point). And some name Agarkar and Chris Martin. Both have necessarily the same objective in mind. And, maybe they're not being dishonest. They might have a point, actually. For example, if you are voting for rank 1 batsman you might go like Bradman, pass, pass (or Bradman, Agarkar, Martin). Which doesn't mean that you're a Bradman fanboy, and doing a dog act; but means that you don't think anyone other than Bradman should even be in contension for being the rank 1 batsman. That's just one example.

And, I think that's just perfectly OK, and in line with the concept of the thread. The bottomline is, because you can vote for 3, you are not 'forced' to vote for 3.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
No one seems to care about WSC, it seems.
I do, and people should...They should care about FC cricket, and ODI cricket too in some cases...

If they do, only then people like WG Grace, Harold Larwood, Vivian Richards, Dennis Lillee, Barry Richards, Mike Procter, Greg Chappell, Wasim Akram etc. will be ranked where they should be.