Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Flintoff to Announce Retirement

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    Pretty sure I called this a few months back.

Sad times though, was always hopeful of a one day renaissance, but if his body's done then it's done.

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    It's good we live in the television age where future generations will be able to see for themselves what a player he could be rather than just relying on the naked stats, which don't tell the full story of Fred.

Touched greatness but not for long enough to quite make it into the pantheon. I dare say it'll be some time before we produce another player who could genuinely make the test side based on either discipline tho.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"as much a news event as an actual footballer, a worthy stop-start centre forward, but an all-time hyper-galactico when it comes to doing funny things with cars and hats, a player whose signing proves once again that the Premier League is still undoubtedly the best in the world when it comes to doing things with cars and hats."
    - Barney Ronay on Mario Balotelli

Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    I dare say it'll be some time before we produce another player who could genuinely make the test side based on either discipline tho.
    Been quite a while as well
    Last edited by pasag; 16-09-2010 at 01:47 PM.
    Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Shane Watson fan^

U19 12th Man
    been coming a long time this. loved freddy. no allrounders in county cricket any where near his standard.

Quote Originally Posted by marc71178 View Post
    Flintoff had a spell when he could've been picked based on his batting. .
    That says a lot about England's batting than Flintoff's batting talent.

As many have said, not a surprise, but a shame.

There are some weird bits in Cricinfo's My favourite Flintoff moment - particularly this one from Dale Steyn.

Dale Steyn - South Africa fast bowler

I never really played much against him, so I really can't speak much about his skills. But I do remember he was quite a crowd-pleaser. I didn't play the Test match at Edgbaston in 2008, as I had a broken hand, but the distinct memory was that each time he turned to bowl the crowd lit up.
    That's hardly unique insight from a fellow player, is it? I think we all had a fair idea Flintoff was a reasonably popular bloke. Why did they ask him?
    Last edited by _Ed_; 16-09-2010 at 05:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    Shane Watson fan^
    Haha awesome
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Interesting article:

Andrew Flintoff's retirement: Another final farewell to a fine self-promoter | Cricket Features | Global | Cricinfo.com

Yes, there's a sadness that comes with the passing of a career that, in its pomp, embodied everything that is wonderful about sport at the highest level: the guts, the athleticism, the outrageous skill - particularly when cranking up the pace in the 2005 Ashes with a hint of reverse-swing to complement his bruising line of attack. But above all in Flintoff's case it was his down-to-earth qualities that endeared him to the nation. He became the people's champion precisely because every man in the country saw shades of themselves in his journey from the pub to the pedestal (and ultimately to the pedalo).

But equally, there's only so much applause that can be milked for any one performance, and right now, five years on from his defining hour, Flintoff is milking it ... bad. If he does go on to do the pantomime season - and Ladbrokes are already offering odds of 2-1 that he does - it can only be hoped there's a bloke waiting in the wings with a shepherd's crook to hoick him offstage at the curtain-call. Great performance and all that, Fred, but our hands are sore from clapping. Could you, please, just go now? (The answer to that, incidentally, is no ... despite the finality of today's announcement.)

But why then does his retirement leave so many so cold? Perhaps it's not true for the wider sporting public who still revere him, but those who've watched him at close quarters for the majority of his career baulk at the man he's become in recent years. Like cricket's version of David Beckham, Flintoff's undoubted gift for his chosen sport has been superseded by a penchant for self-promotion - to such an extent that the myth is now of greater significance than the fact, or indeed the stats.

Too many of Flintoff's final moments have been of this look-at-me variety, whereas the Fred of old cared more about how his efforts impacted on the wider team performance. When he announced his retirement on the eve of the Lord's Test last summer, for instance, eyebrows were raised about his thunder-sealing timing. And similar criticisms were voiced at The Oval today, even as a tumultuous climax to the County Championship was being contested at Flintoff's alma mater, Old Trafford. It may well be the case that he got the bad news from his doctor a day earlier, and wanted to vent it at the first opportunity, but it's hard to believe it was a coincidence.
    Last edited by Jono; 16-09-2010 at 09:02 PM.

Well, well done Flintoff for a great career. Beat us twice, which is no mean feat. Retirement was kinda expected, but meh.
    5-0

RIP Craig Walsh (Craig) 1985-2012

Proudly supporting the #2 cricketer of all time.

Dale Steyn’s Cricinfo tribute is utterly bizarre. Best from Mike Selvey…

"My favourite was him catching Steve Harmison¹s first ball of the 2006-07 Ashes, that infamous wide in Brisbane that went straight to second slip. He caught it so nonchalantly, it was almost as if he knew it was coming. Had he been somebody who watched the edge of the bat and not the ball it might have kneecapped him, or hit him straight in the bollocks, which would have been even funnier."
    Last edited by TT Boy; 16-09-2010 at 11:32 PM.

Hall of Fame Member honestbharani's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Interesting article:

Andrew Flintoff's retirement: Another final farewell to a fine self-promoter | Cricket Features | Global | Cricinfo.com

Yes, there's a sadness that comes with the passing of a career that, in its pomp, embodied everything that is wonderful about sport at the highest level: the guts, the athleticism, the outrageous skill - particularly when cranking up the pace in the 2005 Ashes with a hint of reverse-swing to complement his bruising line of attack. But above all in Flintoff's case it was his down-to-earth qualities that endeared him to the nation. He became the people's champion precisely because every man in the country saw shades of themselves in his journey from the pub to the pedestal (and ultimately to the pedalo).

But equally, there's only so much applause that can be milked for any one performance, and right now, five years on from his defining hour, Flintoff is milking it ... bad. If he does go on to do the pantomime season - and Ladbrokes are already offering odds of 2-1 that he does - it can only be hoped there's a bloke waiting in the wings with a shepherd's crook to hoick him offstage at the curtain-call. Great performance and all that, Fred, but our hands are sore from clapping. Could you, please, just go now? (The answer to that, incidentally, is no ... despite the finality of today's announcement.)

But why then does his retirement leave so many so cold? Perhaps it's not true for the wider sporting public who still revere him, but those who've watched him at close quarters for the majority of his career baulk at the man he's become in recent years. Like cricket's version of David Beckham, Flintoff's undoubted gift for his chosen sport has been superseded by a penchant for self-promotion - to such an extent that the myth is now of greater significance than the fact, or indeed the stats.

Too many of Flintoff's final moments have been of this look-at-me variety, whereas the Fred of old cared more about how his efforts impacted on the wider team performance. When he announced his retirement on the eve of the Lord's Test last summer, for instance, eyebrows were raised about his thunder-sealing timing. And similar criticisms were voiced at The Oval today, even as a tumultuous climax to the County Championship was being contested at Flintoff's alma mater, Old Trafford. It may well be the case that he got the bad news from his doctor a day earlier, and wanted to vent it at the first opportunity, but it's hard to believe it was a coincidence.
    Sums up my feelings about the guy. Juz think his head got a little bit too bloated since that 2005 Ashes.. And not to mention the way he came across during the Pieterson captaincy row... I still think he was the one mostly at fault there.
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.

Check out this awesome e-fed:

PWE Efed

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Say what?

Hall of Fame Member honestbharani's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    Say what?
    Don't wanna rehash and I know u heart Freddie..

Don't have much against the guy but the last few years, he definitely came across as among those who think they are bigger than the game IMO..

Freddy fans dealing with what Sachin fans deal with. And when they defend their player, they get called fanboys.

Lol, swings and roundabouts.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information