• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Aamer Situation

If found guilty, Aamer should be banned for:

• Total voters

Spark

Global Moderator
The Aamer situation is bizarre because whilst he was (allegedly) doing this, he was bowling some freakish deliveries. It's just strange.

DingDong

State Captain
I'm not just saying Amir shouldn't receive a lifetime ban but the majority of the Pakistani players. Butt if he is the ringleader does have to get a lifetime ban, Asif probably must be close considering all his past **** ups as well.

But if you told me Azhar Ali was part of this then I'd say I don't think he should go forever either.

These are players who have managed to fall through the cracks because of international cricket's mistakes, what they did is terrible and needs to be removed from the game forever. But I'd rather they fix the problem than just wipe their hands of it and pretend it never happened, which is what they always ****ing do.
sorry my knowledge of the cricket history is very poor but didn't pakistan try just banning the match fixing ring leaders before? it obviously hasn't worked

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
I predict a 10 year ban which will be reduced to 1 year after which he will return as captain before being banned for life after arguing with the board only to return after the next scandal.

Seriously, depending on the circumstances, his role, his attitude and level of regret somewhere between 5 yrs and life.

Sir Alex

Banned
That's probably part of the problem init?
Everyone needs a second chance. And Aamer is just a kid. If proven true, he must be banned, perhaps may be for 5 years.. but a lifetime ban is not just it.

The biggest culprits are the aholes sitting at top of PCB.. Those muppets have turned the idea of bans into a farce by imposing and taking away at will. So now cricketers know they can get off lightly with some political connections despite having done terrible stuff.

Teja.

Global Moderator
The Aamer situation is bizarre because whilst he was (allegedly) doing this, he was bowling some freakish deliveries. It's just strange.
It must also be noted that Hersh Gibbs agreed to under perform in a match, then backed out and scored a blitzkrieg 86 and was let-off for it with a 6-month-er because he did not under perform in the end.

EDIT:-I'm not drawing a parallel between these situations. Just Sayin'

Last edited:

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah, it was the best spell of fast bowling I've seen in years.

Spudsy2061

U19 Cricketer
What if it is not a case of Aamer blatantly raping the honour of the game directly but rather being intimidated into following a captain's order? This does not make his act defensible but IMHO, If this is the case, a life-time ban is very harsh on him.

Thoughts?
In the American and I believe British court systems as well this is called "acting under duress". If that's the case Amir gets off scott free and Butt should face charges of extortion or of conspiracy. If it was under Butt's orders then I think Amir should be let go entirely. At 18 a kid will do anything to hang onto his future test playing career. Now if it is true that the fixer called him and he made the choice via his decision, then I don't care if the kid is ten, he shouldn't be given a ball or bat for the rest of his life. I think silentstriker's post was the best and most accurate of what should happen.

kingpin

State Vice-Captain
Everyone needs a second chance. And Aamer is just a kid. If proven true, he must be banned, perhaps may be for 5 years.. but a lifetime ban is not just it.

The biggest culprits are the aholes sitting at top of PCB.. Those muppets have turned the idea of bans into a farce by imposing and taking away at will. So now cricketers know they can get off lightly with some political connections despite having done terrible stuff.
No,player's were directly involved this time...even tough life time ban in PCB language = 2 years ban....:laugh:

Last edited:

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member

While there are clearly a number of issues with the PCB elite, it's still the decision of the players themselves when it comes to incidents like this

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The deal had no bearing on whether or not Amir was going to bowl well or not though. Simply on him bowling a no-ball when he was told to. What he was bowling in between doesn't matter at all.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
In the American and I believe British court systems as well this is called "acting under duress". If that's the case Amir gets off scott free and Butt should face charges of extortion or of conspiracy.
Err, no. If my boss tells me to do something illegal, I am still responsible for those actions even if he threatened my job. The exception being if he had a gun to my head or something.

I certainly would not get off 'scott free'.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
If it is proven beyond any doubt that he has never done anything like this before and he was pressured by Butt and he did not directly see the money, I would advocate a life ban.

Simple as.
And the persecutors to prove that the no-ball was intentional

Spark

Global Moderator
I'd ban him for 5-7 years minimum. It's not like you're killing off his career entirely.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Err, no. If my boss tells me to do something illegal, I am still responsible for those actions even if he threatened my job. The exception being if he had a gun to my head or something.

I certainly would not get off 'scott free'.
Yeah :laugh:

While there may be some mitigating circumstances, you're definitely still getting punished.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
He/Pakistan need a ban but I think a lifetime ban is overkill. 2 or so years would do it.

Would also hand out a lifetime ban to the Pakistani player ringleader who they report as Butt. Somebody needs to be made an example of but I wouldn't chuck em all.
My initial reaction is to agree with Athlai if it is just a series of no balls. But I think the devil is in the details and it all depends on the extent of the match fixing and what they finally admit to doing.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
And the persecutors to prove that the no-ball was intentional
No jury would ever say it wasn't intentional when someone names three specific balls in three specific overs bowled by two specific bowlers over the course of a Test match.

That's way beyond reasonable doubt. Way beyond.

morgieb

Butt's gone for life, and given their past indiscretions, Asif and Kamran probably will, too.

Not sure on Amir.

_Ed_

The deal had no bearing on whether or not Amir was going to bowl well or not though. Simply on him bowling a no-ball when he was told to. What he was bowling in between doesn't matter at all.
Yeah, but it must have been on his mind a little bit.

Spark

Global Moderator
Butt's gone for life, and given their past indiscretions, Asif and Kamran probably will, too.

Not sure on Amir.
Probably this yeah. I mean SS correct - the evidence is incredibly damning about intent but we don't know all the details yet.

I get your point but I was just bringing this up wrt possibilities that other things such as deliberately underperforming were part of the plan so to speak

Last edited: