• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

All-time Test XI with a twist

Teja.

Global Moderator
David Gower is too over-qualified a bowler(Bowling average of 20) to be selected.

EDIT:-I'm fully aware that he is a Batsman, just a statistical loophole I had to point out.

Last edited:

bagapath

International Captain
england

gooch (c)
edrich
ranji
cowdrey
thorpe
botham
evans (wk)
gough
fraser
d.allen
voce

gower left out for reasons given by teja:)

Last edited:

bagapath

International Captain
sticking to post WW2 cricketers;

gordon greenidge
sanath jayasuriya
ian chappell (c)
martin crowe
aravinda desilva
ian botham
kapil dev
rod marsh (wk)
chaminda vaas
jeff thompson
bs chandrasekar

EDIT: including pre war cricketers....

trumper
greenidge
ranji
martin crowe
ian chappell (c)
botham
kapil dev
healy (wk)
chaminda vaas
jeff thompson
bs chandrasekar

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'll have a crack at Pakistan's....

Hanif Mohammad
Saeed Anwar
Shoaib Mohammad
Zaheer Abbas
Asif Iqbal
Mushtaq Mohammad
Rashid Latif
Sarfraz Nawaz
Saqlain Mushtaq
Mohammad Aamer
Abdul Qadir

morgieb

Trumper
Grace
Gooch
Crowe
Gower
Botham
Healy
Kumble
McDermott
Thomson
Larwood

Zinzan

Bumped this thread from 3 years ago. Interested to see if people pick the likes of Anderson, Broad, Morkel & Zaheer given they are amongst the best pace bowlers of the past 3-4 years and average more than 26 with the ball.

The Battlers Prince

International Vice-Captain
Great thread, that's fun doing that

1.Victor Trumper
2.Roy Fredericks
3. Dean Jones
4.Martin Crowe
5.Clive Lloyd*
6.VVS Laxman
7.Andrew Symonds
8.Freddie Flintoff
9.Junior Murray+
10.Jeff Thomson
11.Lance Gibbs

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
1. Victor Trumper
2. Gordon Greenidge
3. Charles Macartney
4. Martin Crowe
5. Mark Waugh
6. Aravinda de Silva
7. Ian Botham
8. Godfrey Evans +
9. Harold Larwood
10. James Anderson
11. Stuart MacGill

Not only a good team, but how bloody good would they be to watch? Trumper and Greenidge blasting away at the top, followed by the unorthodox and hyperaggressive Macartney. Then a touch of classy elegance in Crowe, Waugh and Aravinda. Then Botham to be a top-quality #7.

Bowling-wise, Anderson's classy swing goes with Larwood's brutal pace, Botham backs them both up and MacGill turns it all over the place. Aravinda, Waugh and Macartney to provide some part-time spin (in Macartney's case, better than part time) if partnerships develop. And then Evans behind the stumps diving all over the place.

The Battlers Prince

1. Victor Trumper
2. Gordon Greenidge
3. Charles Macartney
4. Martin Crowe
5. Mark Waugh
6. Aravinda de Silva
7. Ian Botham
8. Godfrey Evans +
9. Harold Larwood
10. James Anderson
11. Stuart MacGill

Great team allround, I love that this lets people chose those who aren't often thought of for ATG sides. 3 in particular for this side I really like as outside choices are McCartney, MacGill and Aravinda. Love those guys

The Battlers Prince

I don't think alful is a fair assessment, but under the rules, 28 I a bit further percentage away from 24 bowling average, than 46 to 50 for a great batting average.

Howe_zat

Audio File
It's also because people are batting keeper-batsmen low down and so subbing their allrounders in for bowlers rather than batsmen.

Zinzan

I don't think alful is a fair assessment, but under the rules, 28 I a bit further percentage away from 24 bowling average, than 46 to 50 for a great batting average.
Nah, for me a batting average of 50 = 25 with the ball and a brilliant batting average of 55 = 22 with the ball. Hence 46 being equivalent 27 feels about right.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
It's also because people are batting keeper-batsmen low down and so subbing their allrounders in for bowlers rather than batsmen.
Yeah, I think that's pretty much it. I mean, in an ATG XI scenario you want your #7 to be averaging around the 33-34 mark at worst, so its a bit hard to justify a wicketkeeper averaging <30 there followed by 4 bowlers who presumably average less than the 'keeper with the bat. Makes for a very long tail.

In my team, I figured picking Botham gives me as good a 3rd seamer as any other I'd get with the criteria and means that the lower order has at least some strength to it - the rule that you can't pick a wicketkeeper who could bat as well means that bowling all-rounders who can bat 7 become a precious commodity here.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Averaging 30 is pretty much fine for a keeper-batsman though, especially one who played before 21st-century batting averages. Post-Gilchrist ones who average 40 are the exception.