• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Murali Retires from International Cricket

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Why couldn't he have retired before the new BLC was made, my mate took 6-0 with him against me the other day

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don't think anyone will be able to reach the heights that these greats have reached...
Everyone was saying the same thing in the 90's when only one bloke had gone past 10000 Test runs.....or when Hadlee took his 431st wicket, etc. There will be other greats.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
You cant replace someone with 800 Test wickets..SL cricket will struggle to fill his boots..

BTW how many wickets does Harbhajan have? Murali said only Harbhajan can emulate him..but i was off the impression that Harbhajan is way behind with 300 wickets or something

Athlai

Not Terrible
You cant replace someone with 800 Test wickets..SL cricket will struggle to fill his boots..

BTW how many wickets does Harbhajan have? Murali said only Harbhajan can emulate him..but i was off the impression that Harbhajan is way behind with 300 wickets or something
30 years old with 355 wickets after 12 years of playing. If he plays for another 8 years at a stellar level he will still come short of Warne's tally. More of a statement to he'll be the only 500+ wicket taking spinner for a long time it seems.

Jezroy

State Captain
More of a statement to he'll be the only 500+ wicket taking spinner for a long time it seems.
Vettori needs 175 more. But at his rate of 3.25 wickets per test he needs another 54 tests to get there...

He's 31 and a half... He would probably need to play another 6 years? Maybe. I know a lot of people don't rate him as a great "spinner" but NZ would have been in the **** without him. And it would be pretty funny for a bowler of his standing (steady, but not the greatest) to get (probably) over 400 or (maybe just maybe) 500 test wickets.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Vettori needs 175 more. But at his rate of 3.25 wickets per test he needs another 54 tests to get there...

He's 31 and a half... He would probably need to play another 6 years? Maybe. I know a lot of people don't rate him as a great "spinner" but NZ would have been in the **** without him. And it would be pretty funny for a bowler of his standing (steady, but not the greatest) to get (probably) over 400 or (maybe just maybe) 500 test wickets.
Yeah I can see Vettori coming close but I see him becoming more of an all-rounder which will probably see him shorten his career a bit and take a few less wickets. 500 is possible but a little unlikely IMO.

Jezroy

State Captain
Yeah I can see Vettori coming close but I see him becoming more of an all-rounder which will probably see him shorten his career a bit and take a few less wickets. 500 is possible but a little unlikely IMO.
I was being a bit tongue in cheek, but with a sprinkling of serious.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year

It's more like Murali throwing the egg on Bishan Bedi's face who said Sehwag is the best off spinner India had.

akilana

International 12th Man
From the above link, Darrel Hair:
"Once they changed the rules and made it legal for bowlers to bend their arm to 15 per cent they gave an advantage to a couple of bowlers who could get something extra from that rule. I would rather see the rule as it was where you couldn't bend your arm at all. That would mean everyone was the same."
Then why do you have a problem with Murali. Everybody bent their arm except for Sarwan.

stumpski

International Captain

BoyBrumby

Englishman
There was an impressively even handed eulogy from David Hopps in Tuesday's Guardian.

Think this paragraph is as close to the kernel of the matter as I've seen:

Cricket has always been a highly technical game predominantly watched by incurable romantics. That is why many former players, steeped in orthodoxy, and priding themselves as realists, condemn Murali's action as illegal whilst a majority of spectators sighed: "Leave him alone, he's a delight to watch."

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
See this has been going on for so long...and not just about Murali..its also about Shoaib, Harbhajan, Shabbir and maybe even Brett Lee (?)

So much has been said about this topic, from both sides, yet no one ever talks about the most important issue..

There is no doubt that Murali does bend his arm more than others..
Does it give him an extra advantage over other bowlers? Yes

There should be no disagreement on that..

Now..the argument presented by Murali and Shoaib is that their arms have this hyperextension..a special condition.. They do not have control over it.

So now the question remains, is international cricket going to accomodate these bowlers with a special condition or not? That should be the debate..not whether their actions are illegal or legal because legality of the matter is simply something that is determined by people.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
There should be no disagreement on that..

Now..the argument presented by Murali and Shoaib is that their arms have this hyperextension..a special condition.. They do not have control over it.
Nope. Murali doesn't hyper-extend. He can't even fully extend his arm, let alone hyper-extend it.

So now the question remains, is international cricket going to accomodate these bowlers with a special condition or not?
The debate's already been had to death, though. The ICC has determined that hyper-extension is fine because it, like having longer arms or being taller, is involuntary.

Murali's problem is entirely different. And the debate isn't about whether his action is legal any more because it is. The limits of the amount of extension vs flexion are where the debate is and will probably always be controversial.

Last edited:

Kylez

State Vice-Captain
Right time to end his test career in my opinion. Murali was a good bloke and a wonderful cricketer whose bowling was just insane at times. He wasn't one of my favourite cricketers but it's sad to see him retire.