• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Your bodyline battle

Cruxdude

International Debutant
Watching Sachin against a bouncer barrage would be good. Guaranteed to have a few outrageously innovative shots.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
My Bodyline Battle:

Virender Sehwag
Sunil Gavaskar
Ricky Ponting
Sachin Tendulkar
Vivian Richards
Greg Chappell

against

Joel Garner
Curtly Ambrose
Malcolm Marshall
Imran Khan
The omission of Robin Smith from any such line-up is criminal. Not just that he was a great player of pace bowling (which he was) but that he made you realise how terrifying it was to face. You lived every ball when he was batting, and it was magnificent. Search for him v Bishop on YouTube and you'll see where I'm coming from.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Walsh would be horrible to face from that wide angle sniffing you all day, you'd be petrified any time that you tried to sway inside the line of the ball. Urgh.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The omission of Robin Smith from any such line-up is criminal. Not just that he was a great player of pace bowling (which he was) but that he made you realise how terrifying it was to face. You lived every ball when he was batting, and it was magnificent. Search for him v Bishop on YouTube and you'll see where I'm coming from.
Robin Smith a genuinely fine player of fast bowling. Often forgotten just how good he was, sadly.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Mitch Johnson
Curtley Ambrose
Joel Garner
Allan Donald

Disappointed Mitch hasn't recieved a mention beforehand.

Xuhaib

International Coach
I'd say he'll do better than most other openers I've seen. And his approach to the game will take the pressure off Gavaskar, as long as Sehwag stays. I'll certainly not want two defensive openers against this kind of tactics. Taking the attack to the opposition is the key here. And that's the precise reason I've taken all attacking batsmen barring one certain Mr. Gavaskar. Yes, I think Barry Richards would've been better than Sehwag, but I haven't seen much of him. Not too sure about Greenidge, and certainly Sehwag ahead of Hayden in such a situation.
personally I reckon Langer,Greenidge and Giich to be better choices then Sehwag.

Burgey

He was,just got in a terrible mess against spin and that led to his downfall and dropping in the end.
Yeah, he was immense vs pace. Also will never forget that amazing ODI knock he played in 93 vs us. Was incredible. Must be one of the best knocks ever in a losing ODI side. Ridiculous innings.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Mitch Johnson
Curtley Ambrose
Joel Garner
Allan Donald

Disappointed Mitch hasn't recieved a mention beforehand.
I gave him an honourable mention, tbf.

Very good pace, and has a very good bouncer indeed, but maybe a little bit too wayward to pull off Bodyline successfully

flibbertyjibber

Yeah, he was immense vs pace. Also will never forget that amazing ODI knock he played in 93 vs us. Was incredible. Must be one of the best knocks ever in a losing ODI side. Ridiculous innings.
Forgot about that,that was a ridiculous innings.Almost T20 like long before it was ever imagined.

I just remember him most as the only man in our middle order to stand up to the Aussies and West Indies sides of the late 80's early 90's and actually come out on top sometimes.

That square cut is the most savage shot by anybody i have ever seen.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
I would personally have Inzamam for Sehwag.. he was a fine player of fast bowling.. fearless yet reliable in case of a crisis.. I am just no sure if Sehwag would be able to tackle the short deliveries and bouncers..
Right you are, but Inzamam was not an opener.

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
Lillee, Thomson, Garner and Wasim. First two with the new ball, Garner as first change and Wasim for when the ball started to reverse. Is permitted a bottle top for purposes of historical accuracy.

Batting? Waugh and Border. Bugger scoring, it'd just be great to watch how long they'd last.

With run-rates in mind, Gavaskar and Viv would probably do the job with aplomb.