• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Your bodyline battle

Xuhaib

International Coach
have seen Sachin getting rattled by Shoaib short pitch stuff maybe itwas just lack of form don't think he's of the best short pitch stuff batsman. My choices will be.

Langer
Lara
Ponting
Arvinda

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Aravinda a good shout, but honestly, Langer got KO'ed more times than most - almost ended his career, the number of head shots he took.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Aravinda a good shout, but honestly, Langer got KO'ed more times than most - almost ended his career, the number of head shots he took.
I remember his 2 Perth hundreds against Pakistan both were quality batting against some pretty sharp bowling.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
As for a batting line-up to face the Bodyline attack, I'd reckon Viv and Ponting would be my first two picks - screw solidity, I want fireworks. Greenidge would have to be one of the openers and, while I am too young to have seen him in action, I'd love to see Keith Stackpole up the other end. How consistently he'd make runs is open to question, but he'd provide a hell of a show.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
My Bodyline Battle:

Virender Sehwag
Sunil Gavaskar
Ricky Ponting
Sachin Tendulkar
Vivian Richards
Greg Chappell

against

Joel Garner
Curtly Ambrose
Malcolm Marshall
Imran Khan

Xuhaib

International Coach
My Bodyline Battle:

Virender Sehwag
Sunil Gavaskar
Ricky Ponting
Sachin Tendulkar
Vivian Richards
Greg Chappell

against

Joel Garner
Curtly Ambrose
Malcolm Marshall
Imran Khan
lol Sehwag will get owned not the best batsman for this sort of tactics.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Not sure how it took till the second page for Bradman himelf to be nominated.

Think the point someone mentioned about Sachin not hooking so much now that he can uppercut over the keeper's head presents an intriguing question; do you think that,given the increased level of improvisation and general deviation from the purist's textbook, batsmen nowadays would be better equipped to deal with a bodyline tactic, protective equipment aside? Would certainly be interesting to see how the modern batsman would deal with it, reckon you'd see a lot more using Bradman's tactic of backing away to hit through the off, and a fair few trying to guide it over the keeper.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
lol Sehwag will get owned not the best batsman for this sort of tactics.
I'd say he'll do better than most other openers I've seen. And his approach to the game will take the pressure off Gavaskar, as long as Sehwag stays. I'll certainly not want two defensive openers against this kind of tactics. Taking the attack to the opposition is the key here. And that's the precise reason I've taken all attacking batsmen barring one certain Mr. Gavaskar. Yes, I think Barry Richards would've been better than Sehwag, but I haven't seen much of him. Not too sure about Greenidge, and certainly Sehwag ahead of Hayden in such a situation.

Last edited:

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
It would be very interesting to watch Sehwag in such a situation. Whenever I've seen him, he prefers to stay leg-side of the ball and flay it backward of square on the off-side, rather than hook or pull. I've always wanted someone to go around the wicket and attack Sehwag short, not necessarily because I'm sure that it would work, but because you know that something would happen! Sehwag's not going to spend his whole time ducking out of the way of them.

Teja.

Global Moderator
The plan to get India out in the '96 test in the eden gardens by SA was for Donald and Klusner to bowl em short. It spectacularly backfired against Azhar when he scored a 73-ball century. Finest Innings against consistent short bowling I've seen.

Archie Jackson was a destroyer of fast bowling, and so was McCabe.

Himannv

International Coach
Not sure how it took till the second page for Bradman himelf to be nominated.

Think the point someone mentioned about Sachin not hooking so much now that he can uppercut over the keeper's head presents an intriguing question; do you think that,given the increased level of improvisation and general deviation from the purist's textbook, batsmen nowadays would be better equipped to deal with a bodyline tactic, protective equipment aside? Would certainly be interesting to see how the modern batsman would deal with it, reckon you'd see a lot more using Bradman's tactic of backing away to hit through the off, and a fair few trying to guide it over the keeper.
Considering that the short ball was one of the more effective weapons in this years T20 WC, I rather think the improvisation will probably result in a wicket sooner or later.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Garner
Marshall
Holding
Walsh

Honourable mentions:
Bishop
Mitch Johnson
Freddie
Tait
Imran
Donald

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Walsh but no Ambrose? :blink:
Ambrose was in the first draft of my line-up, but for some reason I edited him out. Walsh the nastier operator of the two. Although as I type that the idea of anyone being as nasty a bowler as Ambrose seems ridiculous.

AaronK

State Regular
My Bodyline Battle:

Virender Sehwag
Sunil Gavaskar
Ricky Ponting
Sachin Tendulkar
Vivian Richards
Greg Chappell

against

Joel Garner
Curtly Ambrose
Malcolm Marshall
Imran Khan
I would personally have Inzamam for Sehwag.. he was a fine player of fast bowling.. fearless yet reliable in case of a crisis.. I am just no sure if Sehwag would be able to tackle the short deliveries and bouncers..