• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Your bodyline battle

Teja.

Global Moderator
Not sure I'm all that convinced that some of the names mentioned would have performed that well. With consistent bowling at that sort of line and length and with leg slips, fine leg and deep square leg all in place, I'd say almost any shot would be a risk. I think Viv may be able to handle it and I somehow have a feeling that Lara and Tendulkar may be able to find a counter for it. Not so confident about any of the others.
When talking purely from a pace bowling point of view, IMO Ponting is a better batsman than Lara facing quality pace.

Himannv

International Coach
When talking purely from a pace bowling point of view, IMO Ponting is a better batsman than Lara facing quality pace.
Agree. Just feel that Lara is more innovative when it comes to facing challenges and I think he'll come up with a fairly unique and effective way of countering this.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Don Bradman
Viv Richards
Graeme Pollock
Brian Lara

2 RHBs and 2 LHBs. Should at least make the adjustment of line and length for the bowlers difficult and force them to make mistakes.

and...

Yuvraj Singh!!!(hey we might get lucky and see him get killed)

Alan Donald
Wasim Akram
Waqar Younis
Malcolm Marshall

Donald and Waqar for pure pace and Akram and Marshall for some control.

Last edited:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Douglas Jardine played Bodyline, sorry leg theory, very well
True, though not sure the Windies attack then was as good as his own. Would never, ever doubt Jardine's courage though.

Of the bowlers I've seen:

Thomson (at his peak). Honestly, would need a fleet of ambulances.
Garner - bounce would mean you'd be fending off good length balls into the leg trap
Akram - best left armer I've seen, and a change of angle would be handy.
Ambrose - see Garner.

With honourable mentions to Croft, Marshall, Holding, Lillee, Imran and Waqar.

The thing with Bodyline, of course, is the field. Surprised to see Steve Waugh named as capable of countering it. No chance imo, not with 5 in the leg trap.

Of those I've seen, would run with:
IVA Richards
RT Ponting
AR Border
SR Tendulkar

With honorable mentions to Greenidge, Haynes, Boycott, Gavaskar, Lara, Dravid, M Waugh. The latter I think was quite innovative, I recall him playing uppercuts to Amby as early as 92-93. Reckon hed go ok, despite not being as great as the others I've mentioned.

All time bowlers - plainly Larwood must be there. Lindwall a decent shout too - modelled himself on Lol. Ted McDonald apparently could really let 'em go, as of course, could Tyson.

Batting, well I'd have Bradman - did average 57 vs it after all, and was so quick on his feet. Sobers - arguably the greatest left hander of all time, and sure could play off the back foot. Hutton I would back against it too, likewise G Pollock.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The thing with Bodyline, of course, is the field. Surprised to see Steve Waugh named as capable of countering it. No chance imo, not with 5 in the leg trap.
Only picked Steve Waugh because he get hit time and time again :ph34r:

Nah, think he would show that ridiculously annoying Aussie grit and somehow tough it out, would be amazing to watch him at one and Viv Richards at the other hooking them out the ground.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!

Nah, think he would show that ridiculously annoying Aussie grit and somehow tough it out, would be amazing to watch him at one and Viv Richards at the other hooking them out the ground.
Haha, fair enough then mate. I should pick Swann for the same reasons :ph34r:

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member

Steve Waugh wouldn't really be able to score a run so it'd be up to Richards then

Teja.

Global Moderator
Don't think Steve Waugh would do well at all, Like Burgey said, Mark would do better.

Inzi had all the time in the world to play Pace, but his shot placement might land him in trouble. Mohinder Amarnath/Dennis Amiss at their peaks might give the attack a good shellacking.

Surprised to see people not rating Ponting tbh, I hate the prick but would probably rate him ahead of Lara and as high as Tendulkar against quality pace.

Last edited:

Teja.

Global Moderator
True, though not sure the Windies attack then was as good as his own. Would never, ever doubt Jardine's courage though.

Of the bowlers I've seen:

Thomson (at his peak). Honestly, would need a fleet of ambulances.
Garner - bounce would mean you'd be fending off good length balls into the leg trap
Akram - best left armer I've seen, and a change of angle would be handy.
Ambrose - see Garner.

With honourable mentions to Croft, Marshall, Holding, Lillee, Imran and Waqar.

Of those I've seen, would run with:
IVA Richards
RT Ponting
AR Border
SR Tendulkar

With honorable mentions to Greenidge, Haynes, Boycott, Gavaskar, Lara, Dravid, M Waugh. The latter I think was quite innovative, I recall him playing uppercuts to Amby as early as 92-93. Reckon hed go ok, despite not being as great as the others I've mentioned.

All time bowlers - plainly Larwood must be there. Lindwall a decent shout too - modelled himself on Lol. Ted McDonald apparently could really let 'em go, as of course, could Tyson.

Batting, well I'd have Bradman - did average 57 vs it after all, and was so quick on his feet. Sobers - arguably the greatest left hander of all time, and sure could play off the back foot. Hutton I would back against it too, likewise G Pollock.

Lindwall was a righteous prick who wouldn't participate in bodyline for anything tbh. :ph34r:

Xuhaib

International Coach
in terms of pure guts I might punt with Amarnath and Wasim Raja.Heard Hanif batted really well with Rou Gilchrist.Dravid and Steve Waugh will struggle against this line.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Would quite enjoy seeing McGrath make the batsman incredibly uncomfortable every single delivery.

Sir Alex

Banned
Would be difficult to get it right against Sachin given his height. Imagine the consternation of the bowler if KP and Tendulkar (both in form) at both ends.

Teja.

Global Moderator
Would be difficult to get it right against Sachin given his height. Imagine the consternation of the bowler if KP and Tendulkar (both in form) at both ends.
Problem would be KP already has **** shot selection and against Bodyline wouldn't stand much of a chance. Would change it to Greg Chappel/Clive Llyod and would be very good.

Sir Alex

Banned
Problem would be KP already has **** shot selection and against Bodyline wouldn't stand much of a chance. Would change it to Greg Chappel/Clive Llyod and would be very good.
Yep. Tbh can't remember the last time Sachin hooked ever since he perfected his uppercut over the keeper.