Thread: Andy Flower as England Coach

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1

Andy Flower as England Coach

Think he needs a bit more credit than he gets for the job he's done, the side's improved an absurd amount in all formats since he took over. So much more spirited than they were towards the end of Vaughan's reign.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

International Vice-Captain King Pietersen's Avatar
    Totally agree. We've recovered brilliantly after the shambles at the end of the Moores reign. Our improvements in Limited Overs cricket has been impressive. Picking the right players, and they seem to have much more freedom when out in the middle. They're expressing themselves and showcasing their talent. There've been some excellent selections since Flower took over too, moving Bell back to 6 in the Test side, finally dropping Prior in limited overs cricket, Eoin Morgan's discovery and the selections of Michael Yardy, Craig Kieswetter and Michael Lumb into the T20 side have worked brilliantly. Loving the job Andy Flower's doing, hope we continue to improve.
    www.proudtofight.com

Quote Originally Posted by Cricinfo
    Styris to Pietersen, SIX, wow, what a shot, that is awesome...it's a repeat of his six off Muralitharan at Edgbaston, as he switches his grip and reverse-hits Styris over deep cover (or should that be deep square-leg) for a memorable maximum.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cricinfo
    Styris to Pietersen, SIX, that's the most extraordinary shot, he switches his grip to that of a left-hander and launches Stryis high over long-off for a might six. That is one of the more incredible shots you'll see

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Won back The Ashes and got us to an ICC limited overs final. Pretty sure raising Lazarus was a piece of piss compared to that.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"as much a news event as an actual footballer, a worthy stop-start centre forward, but an all-time hyper-galactico when it comes to doing funny things with cars and hats, a player whose signing proves once again that the Premier League is still undoubtedly the best in the world when it comes to doing things with cars and hats."
    - Barney Ronay on Mario Balotelli

legend

Though not blessed with many talented players, England are working together well as a team. Credit to everyone involved in it.
    Last edited by akilana; 13-05-2010 at 04:08 PM.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    You need the infrastructure and supportive leadership as well as good players, though. When Flower played for SA, he averaged mid-20's in the midst of a wooden spoon season whilst averaging almost over 40 either side of that season for Essex. Even he couldn't overcome the tsunami of suck that was (is, tbh) South Australia. Neither could Rod Marsh, in fairness.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

In my casual (very casual) observations, one thing I've noticed is that there doesn't seem to be the obstinance in selection that there has been previously. "This is my man, and I'm going to stick with him through thick and thin", which was definitely apparent in the past few administrations. The onus is on the player to perform, and the amount of time given to show his wares seems to be the correct amount.

With the bat or as a coach, it looks like Andy Flower can do no wrong. Legend.

Banned
    I'd give equal share of credit to the selectors as well. Keysweater, Lumb, Luke, Bresnan, Morgan have all been fantastic selections.

He's been lucky also. But then they say you create your own luck.

I will reserve my judgement till the Ashes down under.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In my casual (very casual) observations, one thing I've noticed is that there doesn't seem to be the obstinance in selection that there has been previously. "This is my man, and I'm going to stick with him through thick and thin", which was definitely apparent in the past few administrations. The onus is on the player to perform, and the amount of time given to show his wares seems to be the correct amount.
    Yeah I think that's true. They went from a revolving door selection policy to the stage where you wondered whether certain players were giving favours but they seem to have found quite a good middle ground at the moment.

Although there have still been some absolute shockers. Onions being dumped out of the team for Harmison comes to mind.

Cricketer Of The Year four_or_six's Avatar
    Flower has also been good with the media. Nothing flashy or ott, but you also don't feel like you're being fobbed off with a load of crap like you used to.

Quote Originally Posted by four_or_six View Post
    Flower has also been good with the media. Nothing flashy or ott, but you also don't feel like you're being fobbed off with a load of crap like you used to.
    Yes and he comes across as thoughtful and articulate.

It's embarrassing to think that not that long ago we had the likes of Ted Dexter and David Lloyd.

International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    He has done very well so far and his record is good in tests and improving in the shorter versions of the game.He has made England a very tight unit who are a tough nut to crack now and for that he needs to be given praise.The good thing aout him though is that he would shrug off the praise and say they have achieved nothing yet and won't have until they win a tournament or a major series away from home.

Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    Yeah I think that's true. They went from a revolving door selection policy to the stage where you wondered whether certain players were giving favours but they seem to have found quite a good middle ground at the moment.

Although there have still been some absolute shockers. Onions being dumped out of the team for Harmison comes to mind.
    And Onions being ditched for the final test in SA too.

However, that's very much the exception rather than the rule. For the first time in ages, England are actually rather more than the sum of their parts. I still think it's a fairly fragile recovery given the players at his disposal, and he needs to keep getting pretty much everything right, but this is all hugely encouraging. Is it facile to suggest that he's moulding a side that mirrors his own attributes?

Thread Information