• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

First Name on a World XI team sheet

Spark

Global Moderator
Records aren't everything. Johnson does have this uncanny knack of picking up wickets amongst/with absolute rubbish - whether that's a good/bad/irrelevant thing, I don't know.

Thirdman1

Banned
Records aren't everything. Johnson does have this uncanny knack of picking up wickets amongst/with absolute rubbish - whether that's a good/bad/irrelevant thing, I don't know.
He won OZ a test series in SA single-handedly. No mean achievement. Has been the main bowler of OZ in last 30 months.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Hmm, hence why Mumbai played Pollard over Bravo?

Pollard consistently pulls out innings' of importance with limited time left, and whilst looking innocuous, is a smart bowler.
The West Indies aren't Mumbai though. And till Bravo showed he was out of form they both played.

Xuhaib

International Coach
When Asif single-handedly wins a test series against any of the top 3 sides( IND,OZ,SA) without taking drugs like Johnson did in SA then he will be under consideration. Have you checked the ODI, test record of Johnson in last 2 years? Best fast bowler
well Asif won it against India so there your argument goes out of the window he averages 5 runs less then Mitch and I don't know why are you bringing odi's when I clearly was talking about tests.

Thirdman1

Banned
well Asif won it against India so there your argument goes out of the window he averages 5 runs less then Mitch and I don't know why are you bringing odi's when I clearly was talking about tests.

Oh really, Kamran Akmal won that match against India. Johnson has a better test ranking than Asif , so here goes your average out of window. And Asif clearly hasn't bowled against India in India. We will see what happens to his average.

Asif has taken 32 wickets in last 2 years and he is better bowler than Johnson :laugh:

Xuhaib

International Coach
Oh really, Kamran Akmal won that match against India. Johnson has a better test ranking than Asif , so here goes your average out of window. And Asif clearly hasn't bowled against India in India. We will see what happens to his average.

Asif has taken 32 wickets in last 2 years and he is better bowler than Johnson :laugh:
never knew Akmal bowled and you never said in India now you are twisiting your argument and yes i think Asif is better then Mitch and its MY OPONION if you don't agree i don't give a ****.

Thirdman1

Banned
never knew Akmal bowled and you never said in India now you are twisiting your argument and yes i think Asif is better then Mitch and its MY OPONION if you don't agree i don't give a ****.
I included in India because you told Asif has a better average than Johnson. I said the reason why Johnson has a bad average. Was karachi the same match , where Irfan took hattrick.

And please you can think Umar Akmal is better than Clarke , i have no problem.
But Johnson is better than Asif. Nobody is twisting the opinion. And in the same ODI series in Pak, Dhoni gave Asif a thrashing of his life.

Xuhaib

International Coach
I included in India because you told Asif has a better average than Johnson. I said the reason why Johnson has a bad average. Was karachi the same match , where Irfan took hattrick.

And please you can think Umar Akmal is better than Clarke , i have no problem.
But Johnson is better than Asif. Nobody is twisting the opinion. And in the same ODI series in Pak, Dhoni gave Asif a thrashing of his life.
why the heck you keep on bringing odi's in tests discussion.:wacko:

Thirdman1

Banned
ofcourse bowling to Imran Farhat,Misbah,Faisal is similar to bowling to Ponting,Clarke,Katich and we are not even taking the fielding in to account.
And of course bowling on the first day of Sydney with moisture on the pitch is same as bowling on a sunny day with no moisture.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
He won OZ a test series in SA single-handedly. No mean achievement. Has been the main bowler of OZ in last 30 months.
He took 16 wickets in SA at 25 a piece.

When India toured south africa last Sreesanth took 18 wickets at 22 a piece.

So hardly one series can be a clincher.

Have to say though his batting was very valuable though.

Last edited:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Agree Asif is better than Johnson. More consistent imo. Johnson bowls these amazing spells, then delivers tripe at others, principally between June and August in England.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Tests it has to be Steyn currently, for me. Whichever batsman you pick could be adequately replaced by another but as a genuine strike bowler he's operating on another level just now. Kallis for the all-rounders slot a close second tho.

It seems odd, given he's deemed surplus by his own country for what must be tactfully called "off-field issues", but I'd probably take Symonds in both limited overs formats, tbh.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Tests it has to be Steyn currently, for me. Whichever batsman you pick could be adequately replaced by another but as a genuine strike bowler he's operating on another level just now. Kallis for the all-rounders slot a close second tho.
Reckon Bollinger is not too far behind but good point.