• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Random country draft

Matt79

Global Moderator
I'm on holidays for the next week and a bit, sooooo, have time to do one of these.

As an idea to differentiate it from previous drafts, the twist in this one would be that each round a country is randomly selected. Will require a good knowledge/ability to research and make for some interesting decisions for people. My preference would be to randomly select out of the 8 real test teams, but Bangers and Zim. can be included if desired.

Selection order will be done every two rounds, with the second round the reverse of the first, and at the commencement of each round, I'll randomly select the country.

People interested?

G.I.Joe

International Coach
How many rounds per week are we looking at? Can't do it if daily selections are required.

99*

International Debutant
I'll be in.

I take it a player from each country has to be picked a round right?

Also, is it country of birth? Or what test side they played for? All-time?

And reckon Bang and Zim should be in.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Alltime, Test players, must have played at least one test for the country nominated (so Keppel Wessels for instance could be taken if the round was "Aus" or "SA", but can only be taken once overall).

99* - no it would be Round 1: NZ (everyone picks a NZ-er)
Round 2 - India (everyone picks an Indian)
Round 3 - India (everyone picks an Indian)
Round 4 - Australia (everyone picks an Australian),
etc
etc

That's one reason why I think Bang or Zim should be excluded. Potentially we could have one country come up three or more times - I don't think there's enough depth in those countries to make that an ideal scenario.

Himannv

International Coach
Im in. These drafts are so much fun :D

Not sure I understand the exact rules though. All we have to do is pick out 1 player per country depending on the round is it?

Matt79

Global Moderator
Himannv - there will be eleven rounds. Each round, at the start of the round, I'll nominate a country. Everyone has to make their selection picking a player not already selected, who played at least one test from the nominated country. Next round, I nominate another country, we repeat the process. No player can be selected more than once, so if a country comes up multiple times, or a player played for two countries, they can't be selected again in a subsequent round.

The objective is to select as strong an XI as possible.

Matt79

Global Moderator
I'll be in, if people are happy to trust that I will make the selection of countries a random exercise (as I sold my D&D dice years ago, I'll use Random.org to pick the country).

In so far:
Blakus
99*
Somerset
Himannv
Matt79

Joe - I would hope we could get through the 11 rounds by the end of next week (ie. roughly one round a day) - I'm back at work after that, and it gets too hard then. Still want in?

Matt79

Global Moderator
That makes it half-a-dozen. In view of 'a quick draft being a good draft', might leave it open for another hour or two, then close off the nominations - 8 will be the maximum in any case. If we're all around at this time of night at least, there's a reasonable chance that the turns will whip along...

For round 11, given there isn't a chance for a reverse round, we could have a random draw for country AND order for that round only.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm not sure if Matt was planning on starting it tonight but I won't be on for about 18 hours to make my first pick. I'll then be present regularly over Easter and beyond.

Matt79

Global Moderator
If you're on now, I'll post the order for the first round and country in two minutes. Cevno and Brumby, you're in - I'm no good at telling people "no" and ten is a good round number.