• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Rajasthan reveal global team deal

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
You can't own the Hampshire, Victoria teams, they are not private entities as far as I know. Nor do I think ECB or ACB have put those domestic sides up for sale....

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Worcestershire chief executive Mark Newton, whose Twenty20 team is already called the Royals, said he had no issue with Hampshire being given the same name.

"We have known about this for a while and we have no problem with Hampshire being Royals," Newton told BBC Sport.
What? Really? I hope they got a nice seven figure settlement.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I'm not sure how that'll work though. IPL won't get rid of two overseas players per side....I don't think Victoria or Hampshire would like that either. And if they will say that if a Hampshire player wants to play in the IPL, they can only do so for the Royals, they might run into some restraint of trade I bet.

So I don't really see how that would work practically.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
You can't own the Hampshire, Victoria teams, they are not private entities as far as I know. Nor do I think ECB or ACB have put those domestic sides up for sale....
Indeed. Haven't read anything about this specifically, but it would crimianl if ECB, ACB & WICB put their sides up for sale. I sort of doubt it though..

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Minor point people, but the ECB don't own any club and I rather suspect the ACB and WICB are similar.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Well yes they probably dont "own" any of those clubs, but their influence over them is strong enough to prevent such a thing happening you would think.

Plus with WICB, the Trinidad team is like a national board in itself - rather than a club.

pasag

RTDAS
Would be interesting to see how CA react to this, given they've spent a lot of time focussing, marketing and controlling Twenty20 in the country over the past year. It's most likely a moot point anyways, with the club system possibly taking over here Victoria might not have much longer left in Twenty20s.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
But ownership of the clubs is separate to ownership of the brand. Owning the brand is owning the marketing (and possibly image) rights, surely. The club is still technically owned privately.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
But ownership of the clubs is separate to ownership of the brand. Owning the brand is owning the marketing (and possibly image) rights, surely. The club is still technically owned privately.
Well if this it how it works out, this would be a fair setup.

pasag

RTDAS
Depends how CA structure it really. With this coming up they might do it in such a way that prevents a deal like this in a new competition. They might not have any ownership rights but they do have a lot of power. But you never know, they may not mind at all (esp with Champions League dealings, they might let it slide).

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Depends how CA structure it really. With this coming up they might do it in such a way that prevents a deal like this in a new competition. They might not have any ownership rights but they do have a lot of power. But you never know, they may not mind at all (esp with Champions League dealings, they might let it slide).
Well yes, of course they've got a lot of power. But there must still be sufficient power remaining with the clubs to justify the move. Either that or there's sufficient money to be made to justify the move.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Not sure why CA might have a problem with it, unless they think it is interfering in development of cricket players or something. If it merely results in more exposure and more money, I'd think they'd be all for it as long as the club still remains independant.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah, exactly, Hampshire are their own free entity, albeit heavily reliant on the ECB.
Far less so than most counties, not really the point though I suppose.

I am now supposed to be a supporter of the 'Royals' around the globe. Kind of followed Rajasthan anyway because of Warney and Dimi but cannot see myself really cheering on the others, have alliegance to WA in Australia anyway. Makes sense from a marketing point of view I suppose, we might finally be decent at twenty20 this year, have been pretty poor up to now.

Be interesting to see what happens with the players all playing for the same side, as SS mentioned it could certainly not be imposed.

Flem274*

123/5
This player sharing could get interesting for the CL.

Who gets such and such? Rajasthan (sic) or Hampshire? etc