16 39.02%
  • Jason Gillespie

20 48.78%
  • Bill Lawry

5 12.20%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: McDermott or Gillespie?

McDermott or Gillespie?

Australia have had two bowlers that have both done exceptionally well.

Craig McDermott | Australia Cricket | Cricket Players and Officials | Cricinfo.com

and

Jason Gillespie | Australia Cricket | Cricket Players and Officials | Cricinfo.com

Both are statistically very similar. Which do you rate more highly and why?

Bowling tgfg Champion! Carmageddon Champion! Rainman Champion! DTunnel Champion!
    McDermott one of Australia's most under-rated for mine. He was so consistent and reliable, love watching the old footage of him.
    Jesus saves

proudly supporting Liverpool FC

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Have to go with Gillespie, he's a personal favourite. Think he was a very, very good bowler.
    "What is this what is this who is this guy shouting what is this going on in here?" - CP. (re: psxpro)

R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

"How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    I rated McDermott higher,he had to lead the attack when the Aussies were rebuilding and didn't have the benefit of Warne or McGrath at the other end to help him like Gillespie did.I see this argument as a bit like a Border v Waugh one as AB was virtually carrying the side for a long time but Waugh had a great side around him.Makes the efforts of the lone man even more impressive in my opinion.

Cricket Web Staff Member archie mac's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    I rated McDermott higher,he had to lead the attack when the Aussies were rebuilding and didn't have the benefit of Warne or McGrath at the other end to help him like Gillespie did.I see this argument as a bit like a Border v Waugh one as AB was virtually carrying the side for a long time but Waugh had a great side around him.Makes the efforts of the lone man even more impressive in my opinion.
    Agree with that, also he was thrown in before he was ready (19 I think), and later was easily Australia's best bowler for a period
    You know it makes sense.

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    Gillespie at his best was an amazing bowler. Fair to say he reached that "best" a fair bit less often than McDermott did, but I think he was more gifted and more likely to run through a side.

Still a very good bowler once he dropped a bit of pace too, until he went to pieces leading up to the '05 Ashes. Outbowled both Warne and McGrath in the series against India in 2004, which is saying a lot.
    I know a place where a royal flush
    Can never beat a pair

Cricket Champion! Jackpot Champion!
    I picked Gillespie, I know what I am gonna get from him and rate him highly. I think had he been on another side other than the Aussies he would have had much more impressive stats - he had to share wickets with two of the greatest bowlers of all-time.
    ★★★★★

International Debutant Black_Warrior's Avatar
    I have always had a lot of time for Jason Gillespie..I believe there was a time in 2003-2004 when he was the best bowler in the world. I felt he was treated unfairly after the Ashes debacle..
    And I also believe that McGrath got a lot of his wickets because of Gillespie..just like Wasim got a lot of his wickets because of Waqar.

International Regular Jayzamann's Avatar
    Ohhh man I just can't look past that huge glaring 201* on Gillespie's page. Haha.

McDemott slighltly..

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Lawry by a mile and some

International Vice-Captain Noble One's Avatar
    Rate McDermott much higher. This man carried the Australian attack for so many years, and it is ridiculous the pressure this man was under to create the early breakthrough. Enjoyable bowler to watch, emotive guy with the ball in hand and he made you feel a part of the action.

Don't remember a time Gillespie was anything more than the 2nd or 3rd choice bowler in the Australian lineup, still a fine bowler when fit though.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    McDermott by some distance. In no way a criticism of Gillespie either. As much raw talent as he had, Dizzy just went missing too often to lead an attack like Billy did.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Probably go with McDermott too. Funnily enough, when McGrath first came onto the scene (roughly the same time as McDermott was leaving) I thought we'd just seen off one Australio-Sweaty and it was jolly unfair another had sprung up to replace him. Still, I consoled myself with the thought he'd never be as good as the departing McDermott...
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"The committee discussed the issue of illegal bowling actions, and believed that there are a number of bowlers currently employing suspect actions in international cricket, and that the ICC's reporting and testing procedures are not adequately scrutinising these bowlers."
    - Even the ICC's own official press release thinks things must change

mcdermott for me, clearly...
    Quote Originally Posted by FRAZ View Post
    very very close friend of mine is an Arab Christian and he speaks Arabic too and the visible hidden filth shows the mentality which may never change .....
    Quote Originally Posted by FRAZ View Post
    AAooouchh !!!!!
    I still remember that zipper accident of mine when I was in kindergarten ..... (Thing is OK I repeat thing is OK now )!!!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information