• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

McDermott or Gillespie?

Who is the better bowler

• Total voters

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
McDermott one of Australia's most under-rated for mine. He was so consistent and reliable, love watching the old footage of him.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I rated McDermott higher,he had to lead the attack when the Aussies were rebuilding and didn't have the benefit of Warne or McGrath at the other end to help him like Gillespie did.I see this argument as a bit like a Border v Waugh one as AB was virtually carrying the side for a long time but Waugh had a great side around him.Makes the efforts of the lone man even more impressive in my opinion.

archie mac

International Coach
I rated McDermott higher,he had to lead the attack when the Aussies were rebuilding and didn't have the benefit of Warne or McGrath at the other end to help him like Gillespie did.I see this argument as a bit like a Border v Waugh one as AB was virtually carrying the side for a long time but Waugh had a great side around him.Makes the efforts of the lone man even more impressive in my opinion.
Agree with that, also he was thrown in before he was ready (19 I think), and later was easily Australia's best bowler for a period

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Gillespie at his best was an amazing bowler. Fair to say he reached that "best" a fair bit less often than McDermott did, but I think he was more gifted and more likely to run through a side.

Still a very good bowler once he dropped a bit of pace too, until he went to pieces leading up to the '05 Ashes. Outbowled both Warne and McGrath in the series against India in 2004, which is saying a lot.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
I picked Gillespie, I know what I am gonna get from him and rate him highly. I think had he been on another side other than the Aussies he would have had much more impressive stats - he had to share wickets with two of the greatest bowlers of all-time.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
I have always had a lot of time for Jason Gillespie..I believe there was a time in 2003-2004 when he was the best bowler in the world. I felt he was treated unfairly after the Ashes debacle..
And I also believe that McGrath got a lot of his wickets because of Gillespie..just like Wasim got a lot of his wickets because of Waqar.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
Rate McDermott much higher. This man carried the Australian attack for so many years, and it is ridiculous the pressure this man was under to create the early breakthrough. Enjoyable bowler to watch, emotive guy with the ball in hand and he made you feel a part of the action.

Don't remember a time Gillespie was anything more than the 2nd or 3rd choice bowler in the Australian lineup, still a fine bowler when fit though.

Top_Cat

McDermott by some distance. In no way a criticism of Gillespie either. As much raw talent as he had, Dizzy just went missing too often to lead an attack like Billy did.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Probably go with McDermott too. Funnily enough, when McGrath first came onto the scene (roughly the same time as McDermott was leaving) I thought we'd just seen off one Australio-Sweaty and it was jolly unfair another had sprung up to replace him. Still, I consoled myself with the thought he'd never be as good as the departing McDermott... :ph34r:

Top_Cat

McDermott one of Australia's most under-rated for mine. He was so consistent and reliable, love watching the old footage of him.
Yeah, same. Got the two videos of the 1994/95 Ashes series where McD was just awesome. Has Blewwy's tons in his first two Tests as well. Quite possibly the best cricket vids I own.

DaRick

State Vice-Captain
Both were fine bowlers, but it is difficult to look past a man who could knock down top-class batting lineups on fairly flat decks (something which McDermott had trouble doing), so I nominate Jason Gillespie.

To be fair to McDermott, he often had to lead a fairly mediocre attack when he was in his early 20's, which wouldn't have helped. He also had a fine side-on action, a very good outswinger and considerable pace. He also lacked a bowler of McGrath's calibre at the other end (although he did have the likes of Reiffel, Hughes and even Lawson in support). There were times when he bowled quite manfully but had little to show for it (i.e - SA 1994).

His injury woes, though, put Gillespie's in the shade. He was also uncomfortable travelling overseas and was apparently quite insecure about his place in the side.

I also feel that Gillespie had a little more variety than McDermott. Gillespie had an offcutter, a legcutter and a pretty good outswinger. I don't know whether McDermott was able to cut the ball a lot - which might partially explain his lack of success on the subcontinent.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Rate McDermott much higher. This man carried the Australian attack for so many years, and it is ridiculous the pressure this man was under to create the early breakthrough. Enjoyable bowler to watch, emotive guy with the ball in hand and he made you feel a part of the action.

Don't remember a time Gillespie was anything more than the 2nd or 3rd choice bowler in the Australian lineup, still a fine bowler when fit though.
2nd or 3rd choice with McGrath and Warne though :laugh:

Would've been first choice in at least some other test line-ups over the same period. Think he might be more under-rated than McDermott reading this thread :ph34r:

Top_Cat

Both were fine bowlers, but it is difficult to look past a man who could knock down top-class batting lineups on fairly flat decks (something which McDermott had trouble doing), so I nominate Jason Gillespie.

To be fair to McDermott, he often had to lead a fairly mediocre attack when he was in his early 20's, which wouldn't have helped. He also had a fine side-on action, a very good outswinger and considerable pace. He also lacked a bowler of McGrath's calibre at the other end (although he did have the likes of Reiffel, Hughes and even Lawson in support). There were times when he bowled quite manfully but had little to show for it (i.e - SA 1994).

His injury woes, though, put Gillespie's in the shade. He was also uncomfortable travelling overseas and was apparently quite insecure about his place in the side.

I also feel that Gillespie had a little more variety than McDermott. Gillespie had an offcutter, a legcutter and a pretty good outswinger. I don't know whether McDermott was able to cut the ball a lot - which might partially explain his lack of success on the subcontinent.
Can't help reading the above that you didn't see a lot of McDermott. For example, he actually had a lethal off-cutter. Was partly why his outie was so good.