Cricket Player Manager
Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: India: Deserved of No. 1?

Banned

India: Deserved of No. 1?

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/spo...cle6942221.ece
    What a pathetic article from the times. I for one am from South Africa and have no complaints a India being ranked number one. In fact I would like to say well done to India. A year ago South Africa beat Aus to ttake thier ranking and then lost it again in the return series. South Africa had proved themseleves to be the better team having beaten Eng and Aus away and drawing to India. That is a lot of hard work. Australia then regained the status of number one and deserved to lose it again due to the ashes. South africa were then handed the no 1 ranking again without earning it back and therefore do not deserve it more than India so, who have earned it. What's more is that any complaints from aus will fall on flat ears to the series where there were tooooo many shocking decisions that cost India. Aus are not playing like champs atm either and SA have to prove themselves this summer.

Anyone else find it ironic that he pits India against SA and the argument used is that India are mentally fragile and chokers?

R_D
    Quote Originally Posted by G.I.Joe View Post
    Anyone else find it ironic that he pits India against SA and the argument used is that India are mentally fragile and chokers?

He must have forgotten that had South Africa not lost to Australia at home.. they would've been ranked number 1 right now.... anyway weird article... Just because South Africa or Aus is not ranked number 1..... there must be something wrong with the ranking system. The author couldn't find much fault with India's test performances so he went with ODI to back his argument.

I'm just surprised the article wasn't written by Michael Atherton tbh.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Jesus, he's only saying India aren't the world's best cricket team. Calm down ladies.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

Uppercut in jumping the gun shocker.

The claim isn't ludicrous, its a valid one and well worth arguing in favour of. Its some of the reasons he gives that make it hard to lend credibility to the article. He's trying too hard.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    Jesus, he's only saying India aren't the world's best cricket team. Calm down ladies.
    No he is insulting them and other countries by implying that Aus and SA must not earn these rankings. Aus and SA have both lost a series in the last 12 months and Aus have in fact lost 2 with SA not even playing cricket.

I doubt Simon Wilde has any kind of anti-Indian agenda, if that's what you're implying. Some of the reasons he states are fair, others aren't. FWIW, I do think India have the best all-round side in the world, but I don't think they've really done enough away from home to be ranked number one.

Banned
    And why exactly is winning at home not good enough? If SA and AUS can't do it with pitches made for them then I don't regard them as doing enough either.

India lost AWAY to SA, SL, Oz - hardly breaking news

It's like Safina being No. 1 in tennis - until proven otherwise, an anomaly

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Haha, I knew the Kanpur pitch would merit a mention. I stopped reading at that paragraph, don't care what he said after that.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    I doubt Simon Wilde has any kind of anti-Indian agenda, if that's what you're implying. Some of the reasons he states are fair, others aren't. FWIW, I do think India have the best all-round side in the world, but I don't think they've really done enough away from home to be ranked number one.
    That's such an over rated excuse for denying them. Comparing the big three atm, SA and Aus can win in each others' countries because they have pretty similar wickets overall, while India is the odd one out with its pitches. This means India have a tough task winning both away series' in Aus and SA due to the unfamiliar pitches factor, while Aus and SA have to encounter vastly different conditions in only one out of the two possible away series' the three play amongst themselves.

Edit :- Never mind.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    What's the big deal? No one is claiming India are dominatingly #1 like AUS or WI were? They are perhaps just slightly better out of three good teams. Don't care. I'll take it. My life is complete. This is a million times better than winning WC, or anything the other 'formats' can do.

I might write my first fanmail, to Saurav Ganguly - he's as responsible for this as much as anybody.

If all the comments on that article page are put together to form a new article, it would be a better article than the one written.

Quote Originally Posted by G.I.Joe View Post
    That's such an over rated excuse for denying them. Comparing the big three atm, SA and Aus can win in each others' countries because they have pretty similar wickets overall, while India is the odd one out with its pitches. This means India have a tough task winning both away series' in Aus and SA due to the unfamiliar pitches factor, while Aus and SA have to encounter vastly different conditions in only one out of the two possible away series' the three play amongst themselves.
    I have absolutely no objection to India preparing pitches that suit their own strengths when playing at home. But if they're going to do it, they can't use it as an excuse for finding it more difficult than most to play away from home.

It's very, very borderline in any case. Not much to choose between the teams at all. I wonder how the CW rankings would place them.

Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information