Cricket Player Manager
Page 1 of 34 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Where does Vettori rank all-time as an all-rounder?

Where does Vettori rank all-time as an all-rounder?

I have a huge amount of time for Dan as a cricketer.

IMO, he is certainly the best spin bowling all-rounder in test cricket history

But how does he rank against everybody?

Personally, I'd put him below guys like Sobers, Imran, Miller and Kallis but above the Flintoffs of this world

I'd have him on a par with Kapil Dev and Ian Botham - less of a matchwinner with the ball but becoming more consistent with the bat and certainly a rarer commodity
    Last edited by social; 25-11-2009 at 12:51 AM.

Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    Probably in the same category as Shaun Pollock personally.
    Direbirds FTW!

Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Wellington will win the whole thing next year. Mark my words.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    I'll offer up my avatar to Athlai forever if Wellington wins the Champions League.
    President of T.I.T.S
    Tamim Is Talented Society

Banned
    I think Richie Benaud has a better case for being the best spinner allrounder.

Quote Originally Posted by social View Post
    I have a huge amount of time for Dan as a cricketer.

IMO, he is certainly the best spin bowling all-rounder in test cricket history

But how does he rank against everybody?

Personally, I'd put him below guys like Sobers, Imran, Miller and Kallis but above the Flintoffs of this world

I'd have him on a par with Kapil Dev and Ian Botham - less of a matchwinner with the ball but becoming more consistent with the bat and certainly a rarer commodity
    Totally depends on the context with which you wish to analyse his career.

If you take his whole career to date in it's entirety, he'd be a fair way behind all of those names mentioned above, with his overall batting ave of 30 & bowling ave of 33.

However, if you account for the fact he started playing International cricket at such a ridiculously young age and that his batting has improved out of this world in the last 4-5 years, you could make a decent argument.

His figures for the last 5 years (including this latest innings) are;

38 tests 2188 runs ave 44.65 3 100s 121 wickets ave 31.00

International Vice-Captain Days of Grace's Avatar
    I just don't think he wins enough games for his country with his bowling to be classed as an all-time great allrounder.

In fact, when NZ a defending a reasonable total in the 4th innings, he usually fails. See 2nd test vs. England in 2008.

Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Probably in the same category as Shaun Pollock personally.
    Disagree, reckon the Pollock v Vettori Test comparison would look something like this;

Batting: Vettori >> Pollock (even though Pollock's career ave is higher) &;

Bowling: Pollock >>>> Vettori

Hence, Pollock ahead of Vettori overall
    Last edited by Zinzan; 25-11-2009 at 01:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Days of Grace View Post
    I just don't think he wins enough games for his country with his bowling to be classed as an all-time great allrounder.

In fact, when NZ a defending a reasonable total in the 4th innings, he usually fails. See 2nd test vs. England in 2008.
    As much as I'm a fan of Vettori, find it difficult to argue with that summation

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Alex View Post
    Not forgetting Aubrey Faulkner, Vinoo Mankad, Wilfred Rhodes as well. Dont think Vettori is a better spinner of either.
    Last edited by aussie; 25-11-2009 at 02:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by zinzan12 View Post
    Disagree, reckon the Pollock v Vettori Test comparison would look something like this;

Hmm cant agree with Vettori being a better batsman than Pollock.

Totally depends on the context with which you wish to analyse his career.

If you take his whole career to date in it's entirety, he'd be a fair way behind all of those names mentioned above, with his overall batting ave of 30 & bowling ave of 33.

However, if you account for the fact he started playing International cricket at such a ridiculously young age and that his batting has improved out of this world in the last 4-5 years, you could make a decent argument.

His figures for the last 5 years (including this latest innings) are;

38 tests 2188 runs ave 44.65 3 100s 121 wickets ave 31.00
    You could be just as selective with Botham and Flintoff though.

Vettori's pretty much not up there because he doesn't provide enough threat with the ball and doesn't have the awesome batting of someone like Sobers or Kallis. Scoring at a decent average at number 8, then bowling some tidy overs doesn't really cut it when compared with the names mentioned so far.
    World Scrabble Champion 2014. National Scrabble Champion 2009, 8th, 11th and 5th in 2009/2011/2013 World Championships, gold medal (team) at Causeway, 2011 Masters Champion
    Australia’s Darren Lehmann is a ‘blatant loser’ insists Stuart Broad
    Countdown Series 57 Champion
    King of the Arcade
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in public:
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in private:

MSN - evil_budgie @ hotmail.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Scaly piscine View Post

Vettori's pretty much not up there because he doesn't provide enough threat with the ball and doesn't have the awesome batting of someone like Sobers or Kallis. Scoring at a decent average at number 8, then bowling some tidy overs doesn't really cut it when compared with the names mentioned so far.
    Actually agree with that in the main. I suppose I was intending to make the point that statistically he's had a very good last 4-5 years, so Social could make a decent argument purely on that basis.

However for me, it's his lack of penetration with the ball at Test level that counts against him more than anything else when comparing him with the other great bowling all-rounders.

That said, his batting performances in the last few years probably deserves a better mention that yours of him merely having a 'decent average at number 8'

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Alex View Post
    Not IMO

For a large chunk of his career, he nowhere near as good a bowler as say Stuart MacGill and was pretty much an inconsistent hitter with the bat

Vettori has taken over 300 wickets and averaged nearly 45 with the bat for the past 5 years - that's a great and underrated achievement

Agree on Botham (despite his consistent failure against the best of his time) but Flintoff doesnt compare to Vettori as he was only excellent in BOTH disciplines for a relatively short period of time

Vettori's only weakness is that he is not a real match-winner (plus he doesnt have a media machine behind him) but, as a package, it's really only the select few geniuses that rank above him IMO

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1

This is what I think.

Also, his bowling record is shocking without Bangladesh, and his batting takes a bit of a hit too. I've got a lot more time for his batting these days than I do for his bowling. Even in the past five years, pinpointed by zinzan as a period in which he's improved out of sight, he averages 36.7 without Bangladesh included.
    Last edited by Uppercut; 25-11-2009 at 06:42 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2

In Tests I'd say Vettori (in recent years) is the superior batsman by a bit further than that, but Pollock is easily better with the ball. I love Pollock, and he is highly underrated I think he is better than Vettori but certainly in the same ball park.

Page 1 of 34 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information