Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 26

Thread: Why I wont attend one game this summer (Eng vs SA)

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Borgund, Norway
    Posts
    276

    Why I wont attend one game this summer (Eng vs SA)

    I am not paying to watch a contest that is no longer about nation vs nation. This has become a contest of who has more money or loves it more and who loves their country more. Why would anyone pay an international cricket ticket price for a game that is not an contest between 2 nations beats me. Good luck to you both and may the "better" South Africa win.

  2. #2
    Cricketer Of The Year zaremba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Burgess Hill
    Posts
    8,991
    Suit yourself. As an England supporter I've long since been happy to support my national team regardless of where its members were born or even where they learned their cricket. Some of my favourite England players, both historical and modern, have been "foreigners" - Ranji, Tony Grieg, Robin Smith, Devon Malcolm, KP. If these players choose to come and play for my team rather than someone else's, bring it on. The more the merrier. England is an extraordinarily cosmopolitan country made up of, and enriched by, successive waves of immigrants, the vast majority of whom have come for financial / career reasons.

    And this is no new phenomenon - you might think of Clarrie Grimmett, Reggie Schwarz, Archie Jackson and a host of others as immigrants who cheapened the national teams that they played for. I don't.
    Last edited by zaremba; 13-11-2009 at 03:14 PM.

  3. #3
    Hall of Fame Member Goughy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    still scratching around in the same old hole
    Posts
    15,181
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    Suit yourself. As an England supporter I've long since been happy to support my national team regardless of where its members were born or even where they learned their cricket. Some of my favourite England players, both historical and modern, have been "foreigners" - Ranji, Tony Grieg, Robin Smith, Devon Malcolm, KP. If these players choose to come and play for my team rather than someone else's, bring it on. The more the merrier. England is an extraordinarily cosmopolitan country made up of, and enriched by, successive waves of immigrants, the vast majority of whom have come for financial / career reasons.

    And this is no new phenomenon - you might think of Grimmett, Schwartz, Archie Jackson and a host of others as immigrants who cheapened the national teams that they played for. I don't.
    Given the likes of Trott and KP were born with British passports, chose to make England their home and married to British women I find the idea of calling them anything but English (if they choose) wrong.

    This is not about importing talent for cash as the OP suggests.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

    West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

    Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

    Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

  4. #4
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    Some of my favourite England players... KP.


    (BTW don't think Devon Malcolm really counts because even though he speaks with a Jamaican accent he came to the UK as a child unlike the others you mention who made their own choice to move over, all for perfectly legit reason.)

    As for Trott and Pietersen anyone claiming they came over for financial reasons clearly hasn't read-up on their cases. The reason they came over was because they were unable to break into South African sides, and felt they were not getting a fair crack of the whip. The fault for that lies with selection committees in South Africa and probably nowhere else.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006


  5. #5
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Anyone But England
    Posts
    20,281
    Quote Originally Posted by jboss View Post
    I am not paying to watch a contest that is no longer about nation vs nation. This has become a contest of who has more money or loves it more and who loves their country more. Why would anyone pay an international cricket ticket price for a game that is not an contest between 2 nations beats me. Good luck to you both and may the "better" South Africa win.

  6. #6
    State 12th Man 0RI0N's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Groom Lake
    Posts
    703
    Quote Originally Posted by jboss View Post
    I am not paying to watch a contest that is no longer about nation vs nation. This has become a contest of who has more money or loves it more and who loves their country more. Why would anyone pay an international cricket ticket price for a game that is not an contest between 2 nations beats me. Good luck to you both and may the "better" South Africa win.
    cool story bro

  7. #7
    International Captain
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    england
    Posts
    5,817
    I don't think too many people would pay to watch South Africa v England if the England team wasn't full of interlopers. It's a sorry fact that England would struggle to raise a competitive team.

  8. #8
    World Traveller Craig's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Super Happy Fun Sugar Lollipop Land!
    Posts
    34,131
    Quote Originally Posted by Lillian Thomson View Post
    I don't think too many people would pay to watch South Africa v England if the England team wasn't full of interlopers. It's a sorry fact that England would struggle to raise a competitive team.
    Well AFAIK this was the last Test England played without having a member not born in England.
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

    RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

    Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

  9. #9
    International Captain
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    england
    Posts
    5,817
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    Well AFAIK this was the last Test England played without having a member not born in England.
    Your point being............?

  10. #10
    Soutie Langeveldt's Avatar
    Pinball Champion!
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    29,548
    I must admit, it loses a bit of edge when half of it feels like SA v SA A.. If England would rather take SA's scraps than grow their own players, then good luck to them..
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

    ****.

  11. #11
    GGG
    GGG is offline
    International 12th Man GGG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Malta, New Zealand.
    Posts
    1,507
    Quote Originally Posted by Langeveldt View Post
    I must admit, it loses a bit of edge when half of it feels like SA v SA A.. If England would rather take SA's scraps than grow their own players, then good luck to them..
    Yep, half the reason that are **** at sports, look at their football league, its like spot the Englishman in a lot of the teams. But yeah pretty hard to take their cricket team seriously anymore.

  12. #12
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    Quote Originally Posted by Langeveldt View Post
    I must admit, it loses a bit of edge when half of it feels like SA v SA A.. If England would rather take SA's scraps than grow their own players, then good luck to them..
    Yeah Pietersen and Trott wouldn't have a hope if they were suddenly transplanted back to being South African-eligible would they?(!)

    And quite how it's SA vs SA A yet just because of 2 whole players is beyond me. Kieswetter and co. haven't made the Test team yet.

  13. #13
    U19 Vice-Captain Edged&Taken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Dubai
    Posts
    589
    Trott and Pietersen won't need to be in their hotels, they can stay with their parents.

  14. #14
    Global Moderator Somerset's Avatar
    Money Money Money Champion! Tournaments Won: 7
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    9,863
    Might be a bit harsh to throw all the spotline on England with regards to using players of South African origin, when Grant Elliott, Ryan ten Doeschate and co. are playing international cricket for different nationalities other than their original place of birth...

  15. #15
    Cricketer Of The Year zaremba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Burgess Hill
    Posts
    8,991
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Yeah Pietersen and Trott wouldn't have a hope if they were suddenly transplanted back to being South African-eligible would they?(!)

    And quite how it's SA vs SA A yet just because of 2 whole players is beyond me.
    Quite.

    Perhaps the original poster could attend some games but just stop watching when Pietersen comes out to bat?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Howzat Online Cricket Game
    By Marcuss in forum General
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 19-11-2010, 11:11 PM
  2. EA Cricket 10 - Mobile Game
    By James in forum General
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-09-2009, 12:24 PM
  3. *American League* in the USA
    By Mr Mxyzptlk in forum CW Offseason Club Cricket
    Replies: 212
    Last Post: 19-03-2007, 11:45 AM
  4. Views on CWC99 game (cricket world cup 99)
    By san769 in forum General
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-12-2002, 09:27 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •