Cricket Player Manager
Page 2 of 103 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: *Official* Sri Lanka in India

Quote Originally Posted by Arjun View Post
    I like the look of the Lankan ODI lower order. Their top six is flimsy, but the bottom five can accumulate enough to save their team, annoy the bowling or even change a game. They already have Thushara, Kulasekara, Matthews (spin weakness notwithstanding). The composition of their ODI team, unlike India's, is a good one, and a lot will depend on their oft-misfiring top six. While Sanath and Dilshan get the bulk of the runs quickly, more is expected from five and six, and a little less from Sanga and Mahela. The surprise selection, however, is of Dilhara Fernando coming again. He's been the most accomplished bowler, but that's primarily because he's got a lot more matches, and there are repeated complaints about his inaccuracy, overstepping and old-ball issues. He's been their quick-fix pacer, a lot like India's Agarkar.

Their Test team, however, isn't in the best of shape. Their top order is an area of weakness, and a lot will depend on the big three of the middle-order. Murali and Mendis are a genuine threat together, or even individually, but proper negotiation of the pace bowlers will help the Indians a lot against them. They're almost level with their Indian counterparts on most fronts, but marginally behind the Indians in pace and a much weaker opening combination. It's a little difficult to comment on T20, given how few T20 matches are played, but they're again a well-balanced, versatile unit.
    I totally disagree with the entire post. if SL had been found wanting, that is at ODIs, and the middle order. That is why they are #7 in the rankings.

SL test team in very good shape. All batsmen firing well, barring Paranavithana. SL pace attack is quite a way superior to Indian pace attack. Thushara and Prasad both can crank up 140k and sustain it for some time as well. Kulasekara, I actually don't rate much unless on green tops. Mathews will be the stock bowler, and very good at getting reverse swing. Pity that Malinga is not fit enough. Malinga, Prasad and Thushara trio would have produced some serious pace.
    Member of the Sanga fan club. (Ugh! it took me so long to become a real fan of his)

U19 Debutant
    Malinga is no longer test quality imo. There's more to bowling than pace. He is too predictable and doesn't give good batsmen much trouble. An in form Sharma + fit Zaheer is better than the SL pace attack. Although the Indians depend on swing more to take wickets.

There's more to bowling than pace.
    Tell that to the Indians!
    "Talent is nothing without opportunity"
    "You're not remembered for aiming at the target, but hitting it"

Twenty20 used to be boring.

Sponsored...by...nothing!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Arjun View Post
    Tell that to the Indians!
    ...and the Pakistanis, and most countries who think that a 150kph bowler will solve everything. The common consensus is probably right in that you cannot be a front line seamer under 125kph, though.
    The speed at which a fielding team gets through the innings is overrated.

Quote Originally Posted by Isura View Post
    Malinga is no longer test quality imo. There's more to bowling than pace. He is too predictable and doesn't give good batsmen much trouble. An in form Sharma + fit Zaheer is better than the SL pace attack. Although the Indians depend on swing more to take wickets.
    Based on waht i've seen of Malinga in tests thats not true at all.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    Based on what exactly?

Malinga hasn't played Test Cricket (or any First Class cricket for that matter) in 2 years.

R_D
    Quote Originally Posted by Manee View Post
    ...and the Pakistanis, and most countries who think that a 150kph bowler will solve everything. The common consensus is probably right in that you cannot be a front line seamer under 125kph, though.
    Yeah .. pretty tough to trouble batsman at International level at that pace unless there's alot of swing offered from the pitches.... even than world class batsman will be able to negate swing at that pace.

Banned
    I am looking forward to this series excitedly. I would like to see how the Indians have learnt from playing Mendis last time around, or whether they have learnt at all. ODIs are completely different and we have seen even master Muralitharan being tonked. I would also like to see how Yuvraj deals with the two spinners here. I am also happy for the Sri Lankan team touring because I would get to see three of my most favorite cricketers namely Murali, Sangakkara, and Jayawardena playing.

He is not test quality because he is not fit.

Quote Originally Posted by Migara View Post
    He is not test quality because he is not fit.
    What exactly is Malinga issue, is it than SRI selectors dont think he can last 5 days?

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Why do India feel the need to play Sri Lanka 286 times a year?
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

State Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    yeah it's just silly they played each other so mcuh. i think they play another odi series against bangladesh after this. complete silliness if u ask me.

Quote Originally Posted by aussie View Post
    What exactly is Malinga issue, is it than SRI selectors dont think he can last 5 days?
    Not 100% IMO. He had a very serious knee injury, and it is not healing well. Malinga is expected to bowl lengthy spells when the ball reverse swings. Selectors don't want to break him by using in tests. Until he's fully fit (and when he's fully fit hits 145k regularly and goes pass 150k as well) he's utilized in ODIs. But from recent performances, it seems he's struggling in ODIs too.

That is because Aussies, Poms and Saffies want to play them once in 2000 days.

Hall of Fame Member honestbharani's Avatar
    Have u looked up when was the last time Sri Lanka was in INdia for tests?
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.

Check out this awesome e-fed:

PWE Efed

Page 2 of 103 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread Information