• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* West Indies In Australia

Matt79

Global Moderator
None has to be sacked, AUS can & should play all 4 when fit. Haurtiz got to sit down IMO..

Yuck, 3 left-armers is overkill. I dont even think IND have ever played Khan/Singh/Nehra on time.

On Nannes as i've always personally do feel his better than Bollinger. But ATM behind the main 4-seamers he should the # 5 in the pecking order, closely follwed by a potentially fit Lee.
Dude, I'm as big a Siddle fan as there is on this site, and I'd admit there's no way he should be in ahead of Hauritz if Hilfenhaus, Bollinger, Johnson AND Watson are in the team. Watto is in good bowling form at the moment and in the last twelve months Hauritz has consistently bowled better than Siddle.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Dude, I'm as big a Siddle fan as there is on this site, and I'd admit there's no way he should be in ahead of Hauritz if Hilfenhaus, Bollinger, Johnson AND Watson are in the team. Watto is in good bowling form at the moment and in the last twelve months Hauritz has consistently bowled better than Siddle.
:-O

- How was Hauritz a better bowler than Siddle vs SA @ Sydney last year?

- How was Hauritz a better bowler than Siddle in the Ashes?.

- How has Hauriz been a better bowler in the current WI series?. You do remember than Siddle was playing injured during the Ashes

Siddle has argubaly been a bit more consistent than Johnson even since SA 08/09.

Dont get why there is so much push back againts playing 4-seamers plus Watson & letting North do the spin work. AUS dont need either Hauritz/Krejza unless the team tours the sub-continent (or every SCG tests) or on a really flat pitch (Adelaide etc).

Look at SA in the 90s they had bowling attacks like Donald/Pollock/McMillan/Klusener/Kallis any they where brillaint. See no reason why AUS can't do the same.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Haha, the irony there is that still shot looks no more wankish than 1000 Flintoff celebrations (and they were often pretty wankish themselves), yet the footage is much worse. Such a tool Watson. Can't believe lovely Lee Furlong is with him.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It's wankish because he runs at the batsman and jumps up and down like the asshole he is.
When Flintoff performed his little kneel down with arms raised in the Ashes it was in the deciding test after running out Ricky Ponting. I realise this is also a deciding Test but not in the most important series ever. Different circumstances so warrant different reactions, but as you say the footage isn't so comparable.. and Watson's a wanker.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
There's no denying he's a bit of a dick, but I do think it's a bit funny how when someone like Bravo takes a wicket and does a lap of honor around the field and three backflips he's just displaying his Caribbean flair and when Flintoff does it he's some sort of Man-God carrying the weight of England on his shoulders, but Watson is just a douche.
Ironic, when I think its funny people here love coming up and taking over threads going "OMG Watto" and "Froffin'" and saying other stuff when he acts like a tool and gets in someone's face, yet Benn or Gambhir gets feisty and they're a douche who should get their head knocked off.

Btw, there's a difference between an over the top celebration and a send off in front of someone's face.

Not ONE commentator or analyst found Bravo's celebration in 2005 offensive, and I bet Warne didn't either when he was dismissed to the catch. I wonder if Gayle was happy? :unsure:

Frankly he's a disgrace.

Last edited:

Redbacks

International Captain
It's wankish because he runs at the batsman and jumps up and down like the asshole he is.
When Flintoff performed his little kneel down with arms raised in the Ashes it was in the deciding test after running out Ricky Ponting. I realise this is also a deciding Test but not in the most important series ever. Different circumstances so warrant different reactions, but as you say the footage isn't so comparable.. and Watson's a wanker.
moving the goalposts....

Jarquis

moving the goalposts....
No, when Watson does something remotely comparable to what Flintoff achieved he'll have the right to celebrate in such a manner. As it stands he's more likely to slip in the shower and break his leg for 9 months. The famous Flintoff celebrations didn't involve running straight at the batsman and screaming did they? No, just stand mid pitch, turned away from the batsman, arms aloft. Watson's just an arse.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
No, when Watson does something remotely comparable to what Flintoff achieved he'll have the right to celebrate in such a manner. As it stands he's more likely to slip in the shower and break his leg for 9 months. The famous Flintoff celebrations didn't involve running straight at the batsman and screaming did they? No, just stand mid pitch, turned away from the batsman, arms aloft. Watson's just an arse.
Yep. Flintoff's celebration could possibly be interpreted as knob-ish but I never thought they were directed at any one batter he got out. Watto's was right in Gayle's face. Gayle handled the whole thing more class than I'd have backed him to.

I backed Watto many years ago before he started playing for OZ but, My God, stuff like this makes him so hard to like. At this point I'm in the 'hoping he fails miserably' camp. Sad because he's a very talented player but what goes on between his ears is questionable.

Matt79

Global Moderator
:-O

- How was Hauritz a better bowler than Siddle vs SA @ Sydney last year?

- How was Hauritz a better bowler than Siddle in the Ashes?.

- How has Hauriz been a better bowler in the current WI series?. You do remember than Siddle was playing injured during the Ashes

Siddle has argubaly been a bit more consistent than Johnson even since SA 08/09.

Dont get why there is so much push back againts playing 4-seamers plus Watson & letting North do the spin work. AUS dont need either Hauritz/Krejza unless the team tours the sub-continent (or every SCG tests) or on a really flat pitch (Adelaide etc).

Look at SA in the 90s they had bowling attacks like Donald/Pollock/McMillan/Klusener/Kallis any they where brillaint. See no reason why AUS can't do the same.
Since coming into the team, Siddle (14 matches) has taken 52 wickets at 31.34 (3.7 per match), going for 3.08 an over and striking every 61 balls .

Since coming back into the team, Hauritz (9 matches) has taken 30 wickets at 34.43 (3.3 per match), going for 2.81 an over and striking every 73 balls.

So there's a slight edge to Siddle, but nothing earthshattering. If that was the end of the story, fair enough, my comment would be unfounded. But unfortunately its not. Since his injury, Siddle just hasn't been the same bowler. Now, I'm sure it's just a question of recovering from the injury and getting some match fitness up, but whereas Siddle has been getting worse, and/or more inconsistent, Hauritz has been growing more and more into the role. Hauritz is a visibly better bowler than the guy who got paddled around by South Africa here last year, whereas Siddle is visibly worse.

I remain a massive wrap for Siddle and think that once he's back to full fitness he'll merit a place in the team, no doubt. But at the moment he doesn't - he needs to go get over his injuries and build his fitness back up.

Ultimately by more consistent, I was referring to who has more reliably done the job Ponting wants of him in recent times? Mostly, when he chucks the ball to Hauritz, he's looking for some control, he's looking for tying up one end and keeping the pressure up, while he rotates the quicks at the other end. Hauritz has generally done that, AND he's taken wickets at a healthy rate too. When he chucked the ball to Siddle, in some spells he's got accurate bowling that's taken wickets, but recently he's also got some poor lines and expensive overs.

As to you saying that I need to remember that Siddle was bowling injured in the current series - surely that's an argument NOT to select him? If England over the years have taught us nothing else, "don't select bowlers carrying injuries" would be a good lesson to take away (Flintoff at Lords 09 aside).

I'm going to do a bit more research on the Saffie teams of the 90s as to exactly how many matches they eschewed taking a Symcox, Adams or Boje, but overall, I'd say that they weren't brilliant. They had a couple of brillant strike bowlers, but otherwise an attack that lacked variety, that probably explained to some significant extent why they were a successful disciplined team that consistently fell short against the best opposition.

Last edited:

Son Of Coco

:laugh:

I had no idea he was that close to him on the angle of it I saw. I like how Gayle just looks at him while he's jumping around. I can imagine him thinking 'What the **** is this guy doing!?'

Think Watto should do a little bit of inward thinking.

I'm a little disappointed this is on Youtube already yet I can't find a video of Ian Bell's dismissal. Playing them back-to-back would be a good laugh.

Last edited:

Matt79

Global Moderator
Yep. Flintoff's celebration could possibly be interpreted as knob-ish but I never thought they were directed at any one batter he got out. Watto's was right in Gayle's face. Gayle handled the whole thing more class than I'd have backed him to.

I backed Watto many years ago before he started playing for OZ but, My God, stuff like this makes him so hard to like. At this point I'm in the 'hoping he fails miserably' camp. Sad because he's a very talented player but what goes on between his ears is questionable.
Am coming around to this. Love what he does when he's actually batting and bowling, and love what he brings to the team if he's fit and in form in terms of awesome balance, but as a person, definitely slipping from not minding the guy and wanting to defend him from his knockers to thinking he's a ****.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Love how people here instantly make judgments about guys when they are playing...competitive sport. I'm in so way saying that they are angels but saying 'Watson is a *****' because of his actions on a cricket field are ott.

So Australia are going to win anther test match and the poor souls that have wished for so long that the WI would win have now turned their anger and frustration onto Watson.

Go Watto you legend.