Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some perspective.

U19 12th Man

Some perspective.

The Major League Baseball season lastes roughly 180 days and during this time 2430 matches between 30 teams are played. Then you have the playoffs, with the world series being a best of SEVEN series. In the leadup to the world series there is a best of 5 playoff series between numerous teams and 1 or 2 more best of server series.

If Americans can tolerate Two Thousand four hundred and thirty games in 6 months whats so hard about 7 ODI's between England and Australia?

If you think 50 over is formulaic then you have never watched a baseball game.

So whats the conclusion? Is baseball a vastly more enjoyable and superior game to cricket? Cricket fans a bunch of whiny idiots?

I remember back in the 80's getting excited when a team score 250 in an 50 over match. Apparently now that is boring.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Americans play a lot of baseball matches.

Baseball is formulaic.

Are cricket fans a bunch of whiny idiots?

Cricket, Lovely Cricket Pratters's Avatar
    Are you an American, you asshole?

(Copyrighted)
    Last edited by Pratters; 06-09-2009 at 10:45 AM.

Cricket, Lovely Cricket Pratters's Avatar
    Seriously though, the Americans have a highly structured sports base. They have franchises and each franchise has devoted fans who follow the game, support the team, buy the merchandise and watch the league. Just to give you an idea, most of the NBA basketball teams have their own channels on which their games are broadcast locally like MUTV for Manchester United.

A strong league system can mean a large number of matches with the interest intact if you have devoted fans for each franchise. This scenario is not comparable to the country support base except in an oddity like India in cricket. 7 ODIs for nothing is boring. 5 tests for the Ashes is mouth watering. 150 games for a league standing in tempting. Playoffs are played for the championship of the year. The American sports structure always has some thing at stake. The same can't be said of one day series like a 7 match ODI series, that too just after the Ashes.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend andyc's Avatar
    Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion!
    Pretty excited for the 2430 game ODI series between Australia and England tbh, should be awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Only a bunch of convicts having been beaten 3-0 and gone 9 tests without a win and won just 1 in 11 against England could go into the home series saying they will win. England will win in Australia again this winter as they are a better side which they have shown this summer. 3-0 doesn't lie girls.

Because baseball is more interesting than ODIs.

And it's impossible to actually watch all 2430 games, obviously.
    Or something.

RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990 - 15/4/2006

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by andyc View Post
    Pretty excited for the 2430 game ODI series between Australia and England tbh, should be awesome.
    If the bookies are going to continue to massively over-rate England then so am I.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

U19 12th Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamee999 View Post
    Because baseball is more interesting than ODIs.

And it's impossible to actually watch all 2430 games, obviously.
    Of course. But you hear about the results in the media and games being broadcast. Baseball must be inescapable during the summer.

Even the NBA teams play something like 80 games a season.

I like baseball but I dont find it anymore interesting than any form of cricket.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Because each game means something in a season. It all leads to the playoffs and chance to win the world series. This seven game series will be forgotten as soon as it ends - probably before. It will mean nothing to anyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    Because each game means something in a season. It all leads to the playoffs and chance to win the world series. This seven game series will be forgotten as soon as it ends - probably before. It will mean nothing to anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Axl Rose
    The internet is a big garbage can

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Don't roll your eyes at me, young man

Meh, I made my points the first time you made this inaccurate comparison. Be buggered if I'll do it again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Irfan
    We may not like you, your filthy rich coffers or your ratbag scum of supporters but by god do we respect you as a football team
    GOOD OLD COLLINGWOOD - PREMIERS IN 2010

Is Cam White, Is Good.

U19 12th Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Pratters View Post
    Seriously though, the Americans have a highly structured sports base. They have franchises and each franchise has devoted fans who follow the game, support the team, buy the merchandise and watch the league. Just to give you an idea, most of the NBA basketball teams have their own channels on which their games are broadcast locally like MUTV for Manchester United.

A strong league system can mean a large number of matches with the interest intact if you have devoted fans for each franchise. This scenario is not comparable to the country support base except in an oddity like India in cricket. 7 ODIs for nothing is boring. 5 tests for the Ashes is mouth watering. 150 games for a league standing in tempting. Playoffs are played for the championship of the year. The American sports structure always has some thing at stake. The same can't be said of one day series like a 7 match ODI series, that too just after the Ashes.
    What does it say about the modern world that people are more passionate about following franchises, which are basically business selling a product, more than they do watching countries play.

You make some great points. I agree the current ODI series between Australia and England has no title or trophy to give it meaning.

Why the cricket officials dont turn these 7 game series into a best of 7 is beyond me. While playing 7 games makes in the short term creates more money it turns people off.

Thats why I used to love world series cricket during the Australian summer. At least the teams were playing for something with a final series involved.

U19 12th Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt79 View Post
    Meh, I made my points the first time you made this inaccurate comparison. Be buggered if I'll do it again.
    Except you talk out of your arse.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information