• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Greatest Catches In The History of Cricket

stumpski

International Captain
OK I think I've found it!

From Wisden's report of the Pakistan - New Zealand group match:

"Sohail had scored 50 out of 70 in Pakistan's first 15 overs before he was brilliantly caught by Thomson - leaping, falling and just reaching the ball with his left hand."

Can't help with a clip though.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Here's the boundary one that was mentioned Adam Voges' miracle catch - Twenty20 Cricket
Thanks for that and welcome:)

Manly legend Paul "Fatty" Vautin in the Border tribute match, complete with 12th Man commentary.
Haha, hadn't seen that one before, or heard of him for that matter, but while we're about it ..

You're the one for me, Fatty
If we're doing best catches by fat blokes I'll go for this:)

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I checked up. Thomson took 3 catches in the '96 world cup. One was versus UAE and we can rule that one out. Out of the others, the most likely is the one v RSA in this game, the batsman being Cullinan. The other is in the game v Pakistan, the batsman being Sohail.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
This one from Nasser holds a pretty special memory for myself as I was there, and right in the line of sight at deep extra to see it happen.

0RI0N

State 12th Man
Adam Bacher catching SRT at NCG 1997.
Haven't seen a replay since,but I can still see Tendulkar standing at the crease,hands on hips with a WTF look on his face.
Priceless

Cruxdude

International Debutant
Haven't seen a replay since,but I can still see Tendulkar standing at the crease,hands on hips with a WTF look on his face.
Priceless
Yeah that was a great one. I remember seeing it on youtube but can't find the video now.

Some that I have seen are

YouTube - KAIF CATCH
This was a great match also

YouTube - Best catch by Sachin Tendulkar
Really love this one

Another that I can remember is Yuvraj's catch of Rhodes in Sri lanka in the champions trophy semis.

oitoitoi

State Vice-Captain
One day cricket has led to some pretty spectacular catches in the infield, particularly at backward point, but IMO the most difficult catches are made in the outfield as judgement plays a massive part, and things such as wind also play a part.

I reckon Afridi's catch in the recent World T20 just has to be the best, as Nasser said after the game it's the hardest catch in cricket (you have to take you're eye off it), running full stretch, the ball coming back from over your shoulder, and when you factor in the height and the distance he had to move, it's simply amazing. I've never seen another catch in cricket close to that level of difficulty, the most memorable moment of the tournament for me. Even in the NFL those are regarded as the most difficult catches for wide receivers, there are plenty of guys who can run deep fast, but to actually catch one from over your head or shoulder is quite another thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALHe1zp2xq0

Reflex catches a la Rhodes, De Villiers, Collingwood, Dilshan are still pretty spectacular mind. Though even they would admit sometimes you just stick your hand out and get lucky (I did today in a T20!).

Last edited:

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Agreed. I personally preferred Kyle Coetzer's (v SA?) for sheer spectacle and explosive agility, but there were probably more skills involved in Afridi's judgement.

As for the latter: reflex catches - and practice, practice, practice in terms of balance and head position: I've managed to get quite sharp at holding things at silly point off ten year olds in the last few weeks, which is fun, particularly when they hit you in your wrong hand, you don't see them go in, and they still stick. Then you just look nonchalantly surprised, examine the ball and toss it back to the bowler. It is, I've found, the best way to get respect for my cricketing skills amongst the kids I coach: my batting and bowling certainly don't garner much kudos...

bullseye

School Boy/Girl Captain
Thanks!

Thanks everybody for their spontaneous response and quality inputs.

I am sure each of us have at least seen one from other reader’s contribution that they have not seen before.

The first round is over (over 24 hours) and readers can now post any additional ones they think are memorable and worth sharing with others. Remember 3 links per post . But you can post any number of times.

Here is my Second round inputs.

Here you go :

1 The Johnty Magic.

Link: YouTube - Jonthy show

2.The very best cricket catches - Ponting, Collingwood

Link:YouTube - The very best cricket catches - Ponting, Collingwood

3. Best Catch Ever In Pakistan Cricket History

Link: YouTube - Best Catch Ever In Pakistan Cricket History

Cheers!

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Priceless
Yeah was thinking about that one. Top catch by Bacher.

0RI0N

State 12th Man
Top innings topped by a salmon like leap from Bacher at the boundry at deep square leg.
Don't think that video is on youtube.But I'll keep looking.

Nishan

U19 Cricketer
add to all the great catched already mentioned, Roshan Mahanama in 1996 singer cup final the last wicket. Running backwards and catching with one hand

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ponting took an insane grab at silly point in the last test in India in 04 (I think it was in Clarke's spell of 6-9). Haven't found it yet, but I'll keep looking. Crazy relfexes.

Edit: found it a 4.30 odd in this clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90zw5smdi_8

Last edited:

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
JP Duminy's in the Twenty20 where he caught Dave Hussey, running backwards and just had to wait until the ball came into view, and snared it when it came over his left shoulder.

archie mac

International Coach
Remember it well. That wouldn't have been given if there'd been a third umpire in those days.
In those days Lilley would have asked Clem if he caught it, and then would have walked

On second thoughts Clem would not have claimed a catch unless he knew it was out