• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in South Africa

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Vent your frustration by all means. But calling Bell a "useless little ****" is just needless abuse. If he was an arrogant type or had a really distasteful personality,, or showed he didn't care, it might be a bit more justified.

And I don't see why him getting paid that much means he is deserving of abuse, it's not as if he's there just because of the money. Sure, he failed and you have every right to question why he has been selected or even his mental strength, doesn't justify a personal attack though.

In short, show some degree of humanity.
You do realise who you're talking to don't you?

King Pietersen

International Captain
Yeah, it was aimed at a certain poster. Don't see why that should make any difference though. I find it quite offensive myself. He wouldn't talk to Bell like that face to face, so why should he here?
I think that's a great point. You see it a lot on forums, especially on MMA forums, with these armchair critics giving it the big 'un on the internet but they'd be petrified to say the same rubbish to the person face to face. Criticism of someone's performance is fair enough, but as you've said, personal attacks just aren't needed. Currently reading quite a funny example of it on an MMA forum right now actually; where British fighter Dan Hardy received a pretty offensive e-mail slagging off his abilities, saying he'd get hammered by GSP; obviously not expecting a reply. Dan did reply, and unsurprisingly, has heard nothing more from that specific keyboard warrior. Hilarious stuff. I'd love Belly to come on here and do the same =D

Need these 2 to keep going. Seems Collingwood's been able to transfer his good form from the ODi's into Test cricket and he needs to keep going and make a hundred. Prior needs to stick around with him for as long as he can as well. If these 2 put on a big partnership we could end up in a good position with Broad and Swann to come.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah, it was aimed at a certain poster. Don't see why that should make any difference though. I find it quite offensive myself. He wouldn't talk to Bell like that face to face, so why should he here?
I think if posts here are limited to what you'd say to whoever you are referencing in person there'll be a lot of crickets chirping.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
cricinfo said:
"The only way Bell's dismissal could have been more humourous was if he'd referred it," says Neil Gleadall. But why does Bell's ineptitude inspire more passion than Alastair Cook's failings?

Scaly piscine

There's no comparison. Do you think they say hard luck dear boy when Bell got back to the dressing room? It's competitive high profile sport. What do you think happens at half time across thousands of football games? You think the manager gives them all a pat on the back when they've played horribly?

Grow a pair ffs.

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
I think if posts here are limited to what you'd say to whoever you are referencing in person there'll be a lot of crickets chirping.
You might be a bit more restrained, but I'd have no problem in discussing Ian Bell's mental frailties with him if the time and place arose, although obviously that's unlikely to happen. But under no circumstances would I just swear at him.

King Pietersen

International Captain
There's no comparison. Do you think they say hard luck dear boy when Bell got back to the dressing room? It's competitive high profile sport. What do you think happens at half time across thousands of football games? You think the manager gives them all a pat on the back when they've played horribly?

Grow a pair ffs.
Nope, but they wouldn't be calling him a "useless little ****" either. There's a difference between criticising his actual performance and personally insulting the bloke.

Another batsman chucks his wicket away with a bad shot. Not looking good for England, really need Colly to dig in and make a big score now.

Last edited:

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain

Grow a pair ffs.
Can't see any comparison here either. Football manager gets abusive with his players to get the best out of them, not because he personally dislikes them. You're just pointlessly abusing these players, for nothing more than your own perverse enjoyment.

And I haven't said anywhere that you should give them a pat on the back. Saying that Bell's chances are up, or that he clearly isn't mentally tough enough, or that he shouldn't play for England again is fine. How is he a "little ****" though.

And FTR I don't really have a problem with his shot selection being described as **** or even that he's a **** batsman. But calling him a "little ****" has nothing to do with cricket and is just unneccessary.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Another gimme.

Astonishing how some us sound off when they do this.

EDIT
LOL at Vaughan on TMS describing Bell's dismissal and trying his hardest not to make IB sound like a complete imbecile but failing by a country mile.

Last edited:

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Because Cook always gets out to a good ball. It's invariably the first good ball of the innings, but people like players who get out to good balls.

Paul Harris makes me lose all respect for the intelligence of international batsmen. What the actual ****? They're still trying to ****ing slog him. WHY!

Son Of Coco

Absolutely atrocious.

Do these imbeciles have two brain cells to rub together.
:laugh:

Here's Stuart Broad. If he keeps those boyish looks he'll have a blue helmet well into his 40's.

Am giddy with excitement at the prospect of seeing how Bell got out.

Last edited:

Scaly piscine

Another gimme.

Astonishing how some us sound off when they do this.
I know.

Blast. Perhaps Mr. Bell would like to try and pursue another avenue for financial enhancement and international honour. That would be awfully nice of him.

Perchance by the twilight hour the chaps would look upon each other and reflect on their efforts, singing Kum Ba Yah by the campfire and before lifting their sleeves for the task ahead.