• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in South Africa

kingkallis

International Coach
Take a look @ the scorecard and you'll feel that difference between both teams would be Jacques Kallis's knock...

No Pom managed to get a ton despite getting some starts!

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Bit of controversy there. Correct decision in the end, bit of a hissy from Broad, but there probably needs to be a time limit for a referral

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
One of things that would concern me about reviews is I don't believe there's any factor for how far forward a player is, or if you've got someone like Murali ripping them and you just pad it away a foot outside off a few feet in front of the crease.

For a human eye there would be a lot more doubt there than simply if the ball would be going on to hit a significant portion of the stumps. The system does not differentiate between one like that and one which is hit with someone hit on the back leg by a yorker or some such which is much easier for an umpire to predict on.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Apparently the rules state you can't have signals from the dressing room, and South Africa took 34 seconds to refer it. Precisely.
Anyways. Jimmeh creaming them, long may it continue

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Haha very rich! I remember time wasting in the ashes and Strauss very unsportsmanship refusal of a runner but having worst fielder substituted in the CL match vs SA.
Firstly, he wasn't being serious. Hence the smilie.

Secondly, even if he was being serious, he never said that England didn't cheat as well, so your reply is irrelevant.

Thirdly, you're now officially the only one who still cares about that runner incident. Get over it. I can just imagine you in forty years telling your grandchildren about the three biggest controversies in cricket - bodyline, underarm and a fat **** being denied a runner in a one dayer.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
One of things that would concern me about reviews is I don't believe there's any factor for how far forward a player is, or if you've got someone like Murali ripping them and you just pad it away a foot outside off a few feet in front of the crease.

For a human eye there would be a lot more doubt there than simply if the ball would be going on to hit a significant portion of the stumps. The system does not differentiate between one like that and one which is hit with someone hit on the back leg by a yorker or some such which is much easier for an umpire to predict on.
That's actually a good thing IMO. I'd rather see a new era of batsmen actually being given out lbw when they are out than continuing on the current system of letting them get away with it just because they're on the front stool for no other reason than it always having being like that. Technology allows for less doubt in decisions which will invariably make the occasions where the batsman is given the benefit of the doubt fewer.. I don't see this as bad for the game at all though, there's just a bit more definitism about it all.

jboss

Banned

It does not matter if it is consistent which it is.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I reckon they should be allowed to receive signals from the dressing room. The more correct decisions the better.

34 seconds is a joke though.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
That's actually a good thing IMO. I'd rather see a new era of batsmen actually being given out lbw when they are out than continuing on the current system of letting them get away with it just because they're on the front stool for no other reason than it always having being like that. Technology allows for less doubt in decisions which will invariably make the occasions where the batsman is given the benefit of the doubt fewer.. I don't see this as bad for the game at all though, there's just a bit more definitism about it all.
In a way yes it's good. But you get a situation where Murali is ripping it in and you could just make speculative calls on when to review it. It would become rather random, like gambling then. Is it going to hit enough of the stumps? Is it going to miss altogether? In situations like that it is virtually impossible to judge, but you know if it's say a Kallis and you've got the tail with him then it's worth throwing the dice.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I reckon they should be allowed to receive signals from the dressing room. The more correct decisions the better.

34 seconds is a joke though.
I reckon we should play one bounce one hand, but we're not, so it's irrelevant :ph34r: