• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best Indian Captain Of All Time

Who is the best Indian Captain of All Time?

• Lala Amarnath

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Vijay Hazare

• Nari Contractor

• Ajit Wadekar

• Bishen Singh Bedi

• Dilip Vengsarkar

• Sachin Tendulkar

• Anil Kumble

• Total voters

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Who do you reckon it is? I have put in polls for all those who have captained 10 or more tests plus MS Dhoni who is going to captain 10 tests in all probability.

Extensive thoughts on each captain will be appreciated. I am looking at some insightful comments on past captains from SJS, Bagapath among others. Ranking the captains in order of preference (all time or those you have seen) would also be much appreciated. I hope this thread serves as a good place to discuss Indian captains.

Indian Captains - A Run Down

Last edited:

subshakerz

International Coach
Ganguly in my reckoning, though it could be Dhoni in the future.

Ganguly helped give a team known to be occasionally soft a bit of a backbone and an aggressive streak. Whereas India barely ever won a test match away from home in the entire decade of the 90s, under him they won tests in Pakistan, England, Australia, Sri Lanka, and West Indies. That's his biggest legacy, giving India the self-belief to tackle opponents away from home. And of course, it was his side that stopped Waugh's juggernaut in India in 2001, easily India greatest ever series victory.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
There is this pattern - India became kings of home under Azhar, started winning abroad under Ganguly and improved on that legacy under Dravid-Kumble-Dhoni. Ganguly is undoubtedly one of the greatest captains of India but he had his flaws which were visible towards the end of his tenure. He has competition from Azhar, Pataudi for the all time greatest captain tag.

Last edited:

subshakerz

International Coach
Azhar strangely enough always struck me as a fairly conservative captain. He was pretty adroit on how to utilize conditions at home but seemed pretty defensive otherwise.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Azharuddin

India was unbeatable at home and only Cronje's South Africa managed to beat them at home. The weak points were that they were lions at home, lambs abroad. Azharudding is also clouded under the match fixing radar which casts a doubt over him but there is no doubt that he was one of the greatest captains to lead India. India was unmatched at home and probably the toughest test in cricket along with beating Australia in Australia.

Ganguly

India finally laid to rest the policy of playing two spinners abroad, Ganguly had the balls to drop Anil Kumble before he earned his place back in the team. India played with 3 fast bowlers abroad. Srinath finally started delivering results under Ganguly by bowling full, some thing he hadn't done all career. Ganguly won test matches abroad like no Indian captain before him had done.

Then there are Lala Amarnath, Pataudi, Wadekar (not rated highly but India won in 1971 in Windies and England under him, probably India's strongest side ever).

The future captain includes Dhoni who has a chance to make India the best test team in the world again for the first time after 1971.

Last edited:

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Rantings on Tendulkar's captaincy

The First Tenure

Tendulkar had a winning start versus Australia in the one off test in which Nayan Mongia made 150. It seemed like the next logical step in a career which had progressed smoothly, a career graph which was always on the rise. Then came the tests versus South Africa and India managed to win the test series along with the tri nation series between Australia, India and South Africa (The Titan Cup) at home. It looked like Indian cricket was looking at the dawn of a new era.

It was a false dawn though. Tendulkar's real test was to come in South Africa and India were humiliated losing 2-0 with the worst moment coming in Durban where India were skittled out for a 100. India had an opportunity to regain lost ground versus the West Indies in 1997 and India had some proud moments in the series like Sidhu's 200. India failed the litmus test once again being meekly out in Barbados on a deadly wicket when they required around 150 to win. What hurt was that the last wicket West Indian partnership was of 40-45 runs, exactly the margin by which India lost the test and the series. India had no Srinath in this series but they had an in form Venkatesh Prasad (who had had a terrific series versus South Africa), debutant Abey Kuruvilla and Anil Kumble. It was an opportunity lost and a test win in the West Indies after eons was a long way away, let alone a series win.

Then Tendulkar had a home and away series versus Sri Lanka. In the away series, Lanka piled on a world record breaking 952. All tests ended in draws but Tendulkar was to be sacked as national captain. Some felt it was a premature decision while others felt it was apt as Tendulkar had failed to win matches for India and failed to live upto the expectations of the public. The captaincy was given back to Azharuddin. Musical chairs were played with the Indian captaincy again, much like in the Kapil Dev - Gavaskar era.

The Second Tenure

When Tendulkar was given the captaincy a second time, it is said that he didn't want to accept it but reluctantly took it. The musical chair had brought the captaincy back to Tendulkar and he had a chance for redemption. India started off in familiar territory - home versus New Zealand and India won the series 1-0.

The real test was to come versus Australia in Australia. As visitors past and present have found out, an Australian tour can be unrelenting. India were lambs abroad and Australia slaughtered them 3-0. Gavaskar commented that there wasn't enough talent in the team. India also lost 10 of the 11 gaes of the tri-nation One Day Series featuring Australia and Pakistan.

Tendulkar faced Cronje's South Africa at home next and he couldn't have asked for a sterner test. Cronje was one of the best captains of his generation along with Mark Taylor and was highly regarded before the match fixing scandal cast it's ugly shadow on South Africa's favorite son. Cronje succeeded in doing what no captain had managed in a decade, win in India. The achievement got unnoticed in the match fixing scandal which followed but it was no mean achievement. Tendulkar took personal responsibility for the poor showing in Australia and resigned as captain.

Why Tendulkar failed as captain

There are many theories as to why Tendulkar failed as captain. Some say he was not a natural leader of men, others point out that he was always a choker while still others say that he had too much faith in Mumbai players who didn't reap the rewards for him - guys like Nilesh Kulkarni, Abey Kuruvilla and the ilk.

What I have always believed is that Tendulkar has had a great cricketing mind. You can see it when he is giving his suggestions to the captain in charge or when he is mixing his deliveries while bowling. He took a five wicket hawl in an ODI v Australia to win the match for India purely based on his bowling tact.

India translate this precious resource into a great leader of men for various reasons and I'll touch on them here. Firstly, Tendulkar got players that he wanted but he never really got all the players that he wanted. He was given Noel David in West Indies in 1997, a player he had not seen play when he asked for Sairaj Bahutule. You get the players you can command as a captain. Ganguly had wins to show for him and he got the Saba Karims and Laxmi Ratan Shuklas into the team because he achieved a power through sheer victories.

Tendulkar never had victories to command that kind of power and that fault will rest on Tendulkar and no one else. The challenges were tough but they are never easy. In the end you have to stride over them despite what the challenges are. Ganguly did it, Steve Waugh did it with his batting. Hell even Bradman was dropped for a test. It is never easy.

Tendulkar's biggest mistake was that he expected others to give the commitment that he always brought to the ball park. When others naturally didn't deliver that for him, he was frustrated. Tendulkar made runs as captain, he even won tests for a while but he was never happy visibly from his face. There was a tension, distress in Tendulkar which was always noticeable. This is what the late Ashok Mankad, one of the greatest minds on cricket in India believed, and I believe too.

Tendulkar failed as captain and there is no excuse for it.

Part 4 - A possible third chance not taken

No one expected Tendulkar to get a third chance but as destiny would have it, the whole of India wanted Tendulkar to be captain a third time. Ganguly had had his time in the sun, Dravid had been exhausted by the demands which is the Indian captaincy. India chose Anil Kumble and then Mahendra Singh Dhoni. Tendulkar missed a golden opportunity to lay his captaincy demons to rest.

Some say that it was he who suggested that Dhoni be given the captaincy. Why did Tendulkar not accept a third tenure? He had his personal game to look at and points to prove in that respect as he had been terribly inconsistent due to tennis elbow the past few years. More importantly, Tendulkar realised that his time in the spotlight had gone. It was time for a new generation to step forward and take India to new heights and Dhoni was that man. Tendulkar had already omitted himself from the T20 World Cup which India won incidentally - a sign for the future if ever there was one.

Would Tendulkar have been a good captain in his third tenure? No one can tell. He failed as the captain of Mumbai Indians and showed once again that he hadn't laid to rest the dead ghosts. Mumbai Indians was a team packed with talent but under achieved in IPL second edition. Despite all this, who knows, Tendulkar might have succeeded after all. He could have had Zaheer Khan, Ishant Sharma at his disposal. He didn't deserve another chance after being given two chances though - that much is sure. It would have been a step backwards and in the end, whether it was Tendulkar who suggested Dhoni's name or not, Dhoni was the man who deserved the captaincy to take India forward towards a new dawn.

EDIT - It's a rant, so every thing I said wont be accurate and to the text.

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Gangugly has a very very strong case, he was the right man at the right time. Tendulkar is not a good captain.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Unless you have seen them in action you have no idea of how good each was.

I saw all except Lala Amaranath and Hazare and there is not an iota of doubt in my mind as to who was the best captain of the lot - Mansur Ali Khan Pataudi.

masterblaster

International Captain
Can't go past Ganguly here. He's clearly the best Indian captain and as has been said on so many occasions was responsible for the change in attitude within the team, the improvement of the team culture and it was great to see a captain support his young players like he did.

Dissector

International Debutant
Going purely by reputation but my vote goes to Pataudi. Became captain at a very young age with a team that had won very little and moulded them into a fighting unit that won a series against England, drew one against Australia and won India's very first overseas victory in New Zealand. He developed the all-spin attack and supported them with attacking fields.

Here is a brief profile of Pataudi (the text formatting is a little wonky)

Dissector

International Debutant
BTW I don't think Azhar was a good captain at all. He was lucky to become captain and lucky to enjoy whatever limited success he enjoyed at home. Never struck me as having a good cricket mind. He was lucky that his captaincy coincided with a true match-winning bowler in Kumble, later supported by Srinath. And let's not forget that one of the best home wins in the 90's, against South Africa was under Tendulkar's captaincy though Azhar batted beautifully in that series.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mansur Ali Khan, beyond doubt, for mine.

Always been interested in Nari Contractor though. Seems really highly regarded, but I've never read anything, really, on why that is.

bagapath

International Captain
such a difficult question that one cant give a straight forward answer i guess.
it should probably start with one's own definition of a good captain.

in the indian context, since the test team has always been a second rate team in the best of times and a third rate team for the rest of its existence, I dont know how much weightage to give for victorious captains.

for example, despite his successes on doctored home pitches, I dont give too much credit to azhar as a leader. kumble and sachin were in prime form and the board was short sighted enough to prepare mine fields to bury visitors. and it cannot be too difficult to manage sachin and anil, two of the most hard working, committed team players ever. there might have been better captains who didnt have enough match winners under them to push for victories despite possessing the will and tactical nous. but still... a leader should marshal his sources towards the goal successfully more often than not, and that means winning as many matches as possible. so i guess this factor will have to count. but azhar is not on my list for another reason.

indian cricket history started on a servile note as a british colony that carried its inferiority complex well into the 80s and even treated their opponents (except those from pak) with unnecessary reverence. a good captain would have to make his players believe they were better than the opponents despite what your own board tells you. we need a captain with a spine.

indian cricket is also notorious for regional bias, lignuistic bias and religious/caste issues. a captain has to be above all this and find the best men for the right jobs. this not just means preferring players from outside his region, but also in backing a known player from his own region if he is good and having the confidence in himself that he was taking that call with the best interest of the team in mind and not due to any innate bias. in short, he should do what he believes is right for the team and not be worried about pleasing others. this aspect also means that the good captains are usually strong enough to see eye to eye and stand shoulder to shoulder with the authorities.

that brings us to the next point. a good indian captain should be a skilled cricketer who deserves to be in the team as a player. we cant afford to have a brearely. our bothams and boycotts would swallow him. the captain should be good at what he does to exert command over his team. this also gets him the respect from the board on selectoral decisions.

finally, this is a country of illegal bookies and match fixers. and it is also cricket's gold mine. the skipper should be above material temptations and never succumb to greed. that is why azhar is not on my list.

will get into individual names soon.

Last edited:

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
My vote went to Pataudi jnr on the basis of what I've read about him - Wadekar deserves an honourable mention but he did have the first really strong Indian side so his job could be said to be a bit easier

bagapath

International Captain
the four best indian captains, imo, in chronological order are.

mansur ali khan pataudi
ajit wadekar
saurav ganguly
rahul dravid

will choose one of them eventually. but as of now, they represent everything i would hope for in a good test captain

bagapath

International Captain
just saw tiger pataudi's interview on tv. what a stylish, intelligent, articulate and cultured man! no wonder he transformed the indian team and got the best out of his players.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Lord Jardine of Mumbai beyond any question. :ph34r:

Actually, in all seriousness, according to his biographer Christopher Douglas that when the MCC's aborted first tour of India was being planned in 1930 DRJ was considering settling in the country of his birth and was a live candidate to captain the Indian test side. History might've been very different had not an old Raj tradition that every third generation of English Indian families persue a working life in England meant he had to remain in the mother country.