• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia in England T20s and ODIs

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
I know Anderson has his fans but... just doesn't cut it for me. Need to be looking elsewhere methinks.
Much better Test bowler than ODIs. I'm certainly one of those 'fans' that you speak of but I wouldn't be too disappointed to see us try something else in the 50 over game. Don't know who though.
He tends to naturally swing the ball on to a line which is easy to hit. He doesn't often enough swing it away or in to the off stump, it is usually away to outside off and in to leg stump which means he can go for runs. The potential for improvement is there but, yeah, probably should be dropped, atm.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Anderson and Sidebottom together I don't really like. And at the moment Sidebottom looks better.
Sidebottom has bowled beautifully, really troubled the Australians but perhaps bowled a bit too short. I feel that early wickets are crucial when you have such an early start.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Don't think Anderson has been good enough in Test cricket either.

It's fine if you were thinking there's more to come from this guy, but I don't see it with Anderson. I think this is about as good as he's going to get - an ambitious team would be looking for more than a guy who's averaging 30+ and vanishes for most of the game/series. He's more squad player quality.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Sidebottom has bowled beautifully, really troubled the Australians but perhaps bowled a bit too short. I feel that early wickets are crucial when you have such an early start.
Sidebottom looks a lot better in this match, with the new ball.

Scaly piscine

Watson would be a very dangerous batsman if he didn't just brainlessly slog/swipe at the bowling. He can basically score faster than the other bats without doing anything like that.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Don't think Anderson has been good enough in Test cricket either.

It's fine if you were thinking there's more to come from this guy, but I don't see it with Anderson. I think this is about as good as he's going to get - an ambitious team would be looking for more than a guy who's averaging 30+ and vanishes for most of the game/series. He's more squad player quality.
Who would you pick instead?

inbox24

International Debutant
Pretty poor stuff. Get ready for some test cricket for the next 10-25 overs if they stay in that long.

Scaly piscine

Who would you pick instead?
Depends on the make-up of the side. Onions should be an automatic pick in Test cricket. Sidebottom *if* he's fit is a much more effective bowler than Anderson.

After that it's just a case of having a look at whichever promising players in county cricket.

Edit: He would still be in the squad, but you've got to be looking at other options because for me you can't just 'settle' for Anderson if you want to be a good side.

Last edited:

Pizzorno

State Vice-Captain
Lol at Watson getting himself in and then getting out again. Bit of a problem for him now; I count that as every innings of the tour he's done it in.

inbox24

International Debutant
Australia is rewinding to the 80s where scores of 200 were good enough to win games. Talk about living in the past, these guys are batting as if we have Warne, Murali and McGrath to get us home with the ball.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Lol at Watson getting himself in and then getting out again. Bit of a problem for him now; I count that as every innings of the tour he's done it in.
Will be interesting to look at his stats at the end of the seven matches, see if he can go on with one.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Haha, was just about to post what a ridiculous change this was, bringing off Swann and putting Bopara on. Oops. :laugh: