• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Bangladesh in West Indies

Langeveldt

Soutie
Hate this so much.. A side that shouldn't be there against another side that shouldn't be there.. How anyone can be considered a hero in a game where none of the opposition show up is beyond me.. Shakib is a decent player, but this is nothing other than a farce of note..

Pigeon

Banned
Hate this so much.. A side that shouldn't be there against another side that shouldn't be there.. How anyone can be considered a hero in a game where none of the opposition show up is beyond me.. Shakib is a decent player, but this is nothing other than a farce of note..
Tbf, Shakib vs this WI side is no more one sided than the top test sides vs Bangladesh.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Would prefer him easily over ; (only tests)

Sri Lanka - Angelo Mathews
England - Graeme Swann
Australia - Hauritz
India - Yuvraj Singh
SA - Hmmm.. Harris?
NZ - Nope , Vettori is gun
Pak - Kaneria and perhaps one of the pace debutantes
WI - :laugh:

With his batting avg of 33 and bowling avg of 30, he'd make to the ODI sides of virtually any team in the world.
If Mathews is able to convert his FCC form in to tests he'll be waaay ahead of Shakib as an all rounder. But still only 3 tests that Mathews played. Neds some time to see whether he conversts that form.

And Shakib undoubtedly is the best spin bowling all rounder in the world ATM. Shoaib Malik had his chances being in this rare club, but he gave up bowling.

Last edited:

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
By World XI I naturally meant the best XI players in the world, would definitely be up there IMO. No spinner from out of the sub-continent really comes close to him in terms of value (including his batting) besides Vettori.
Yeah, he's got to be the best spin-bowling all-rounder around. The next best one I can think of after those two is Shahid Afridi.

He's nowhere near the World XI though, really. Plenty of players I'd pick before him.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Yeah, he's got to be the best spin-bowling all-rounder around. The next best one I can think of after those two is Shahid Afridi.

He's nowhere near the World XI though, really. Plenty of players I'd pick before him.
If you don't count Murali I'd put him behind only Harby in terms of spinners.

Uppercut

Behind Mendis, Mishra, Murali, Swann and Harbhajan for me. None of them are all-rounders though.

Athlai

Not Terrible
I'm leaving Mendis out till hes proven himself a little more or I've seen him decimate NZ (which he will). Reckon Shakib is better than Mishra by a little and Swann by a fair bit.

Think only Harbhajan could really displace him from the spinners spot for sheer value in a World XI. In another year Murali will probably be gone and Mendis may be the number one spinner though.

Uppercut

I'd have him in my team ahead of most spinners because of his batting, but I don't think he carries the same threat as Amit Mishra (and the idea that he goes for runs is a complete fabrication based on his bowling style). Graeme Swann, err, maybe. I don't think we'll ever be able to compare them adequately given their respective roles.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Is it okay to call him an all-rounder yet?
Yes IMO. I think his batting could have an influence on the selection of the team. Obviously he'll never be good enough to bat higher than #7 but I think he could bat seven for England if need be, and I don't think they'd consider that option if it was Panesar or even Giles, assuming the #8 was of regular-#8-standard.

I certainly think he's a lot more reliable than Afridi even if not without the potential to score random tons on flat pitches, although I suppose that makes him a better #8 than Afridi rather than making him a better #7 or an allrounder, as such.

He's certainly a bowling allrounder at very least and I'd rather having him in my Test team to bat #7 and bowl spin than Afridi.

Aritro

International Regular
Anyone see much of his captaincy?
Looked a complete natural.

Almost always made bowling changes at the right times and never wavered in setting an attacking field. Did some inventive stuff too, such as moving the silly point to the other side of the pitch and having two short legs standing next to each other. Made sense at the time as Mahmudullah was getting huge turn and regularly spinning it from outside off to leg.

My only complaint was that he should have given Mahmudullah a few more overs.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Well if he is as good as that then he may be exactly what Bangladesh needs to spark a bit of life into the team.