Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is test cricket dying?

Cricket Spectator

Is test cricket dying?

seems to be a popular topic these days. guys im doing a research on this topic as a part of my assignment so i have a few questions.

1. Do you think test cricket is dying?

2. Do you think the 20-20 tournaments are having an impact on Test cricket?

3. Do you think the prices for tickets to test matches are overpriced?

thanks guys

Request Your Custom Title Now! Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Sounds like a fun assignment

Personally, i don't think so. Test cricket has always been a niche market and it's not threatened by T20 any more than golf is threatened by football. I'd say the opposite, that T20 will get a lot more young people into cricket because it's much more accessible than tests.

Others would say that young players will start choosing to play T20s over tests, but i fail to see a scenario where they'd be forced to choose.

International Vice-Captain Noble One's Avatar

Test cricket has always had peaks and troughs. I don't believe at all that the format is dying. The anticipation and discussion towards The Ashes 09 shows how Test cricket can still bring true passion to the game.

Not as yet. Test cricket still remains the number one format of choice for the majority of cricketers. When Ricky Ponting overturns a tour of England due to IPL commitments then I will begin to have my concerns.

I can't speak for global pricing, but I know Australian pricing is a little expensive. I can never work out why Cricket Australia can keep ticketprices constant and have half empty grounds. Supply and demand should rule. I always figure that if the quality of the contest is good, who cares what you pay, it is 7 hours of fantastic entertainment. I still recall every single Test match I have attended, stretching back over 15 years, priceless memories really.

Quote Originally Posted by fezzie View Post
    seems to be a popular topic these days. guys im doing a research on this topic as a part of my assignment so i have a few questions.

thanks guys
    1. no

2. no

3. because tickets sales are such a small part of the income now generated by cricket, which relies much more on TV revenue. I think they should be free or at least very cheap, say $5.00.

In England where they sell out most Test matches then it should be a much higher cost
    You know it makes sense.

Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    Quote Originally Posted by archie mac View Post
    1. no

2. no

3. because tickets sales are such a small part of the income now generated by cricket, which relies much more on TV revenue. I think they should be free or at least very cheap, say $5.00.

In England where they sell out most Test matches then it should be a much higher cost
    I think T20 definitely has an impact on Test cricket. Take Bravo playing in the IPL yet not in the Test series, if the IPL didn't exist would the same decision have been made? It's a relatively small impact but it should be felt all the same. All forms of cricket impact on each other, and T20 seems to eat up more and more of the schedule, another T20 WC?

I want a Test series.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    420 BLAZE IT
    [Zorax on Burgey]
    Quote Originally Posted by zorax View Post
    Wish I could articulate myself all over your face tbh
    And they say romance is dead.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Top_Cat's Avatar
    As long as Test cricket is seen as the highest form of the sport, I don't think it'll die. As soon as that changes, though......

Definitely see the number of Tests in the future reduced before the number of ODI's is, unfortunately.

We can't afford too many more series like the recent Windies/poms one.

thanks guys
    1) No with a but. The "but" is that it might be starting to enter a trough in terms of popularity. Not massively so (yet), but a few things need to change. England is traditionally the safest market for tests, but the recent crowd for the Durham test showed even we have a saturation point.

2) Yes. We're starting to see it already with the Sri Lankan players essentially rejecting the chance to play a series here for the extra money they can get at the IPL. & it's no slight on them that they did, btw; I imagine a lot of us would do the same.

3) **** me yes. In the UK they're obscene. The money for a ticket for one day of a London test would pay my satellite subscription for six weeks plus.

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    As long as Test cricket is seen as the highest form of the sport, I don't think it'll die. As soon as that changes, though......
    Aye. Sad to reflect, re Gayle's recent comments, it may already be happening tho. If a country's test skipper prefers 2020 we might be already on a slippery slope to tests losing their pre-eminance.
    Cricket Web's current Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"Rory Burns wafted and whooshed, hit a few, edged a few more and batted at times with all the graceful serenity of a man trying to force his way head-first through a privet hedge." - Barney Ronay on the Surrey opener's maiden test ton

1. Test cricket is OK in Australia. Not sure about other countries but seems to be in trouble in some countires though (crowds looks really small in SA, for starters).

2. I don't think T20s will have an effect on test cricket. 50 over matches will be affected though.

3. This is probably a country by country thing. I guess if you sell out ground or get a decent crowd then they are not overpriced, otherwise yes.

thanks guys
    1- No, though the BCCI would like that to happen.

2- No, because the centrally contracted players can be stopped from going to the IPL if it's the board's wish. I can't see the quality test players who are also quality T20 players choosing a bat and ball game over test cricket.

3- Yes, but when there is such a demand like for the Ashes, the boards can do what they want. t's tough ****. They are no dearer than football matches which are only 90 minutes long so you get value for money (55 for 8 hours).

Banned
    Yes

Test cricket will not cease to exist altogether although it's primacy is definitely on the decline. Considering India is becoming the monopoly of cricket, and that test cricket is on death throes there as far as popularity is concerned, it is inevitable that it would be relegated to even sub-ODIs status.

Yes

Sri Lankan players' reluctance to take part in the IPL, Windies' captain's open admission that he'd care for T20s than tests, etc are ample indications that players are considering playing exclusively in T20s as a better career option than representing the national teams in tests. A survey conducted among Australian players last year revealed that a third of players put IPL and tournaments like that over playing for their country. A similar survey in England revealed that about 50% of players would prefer IPL over county cricket and about 20% would even quit playing for their country if they get a lucrative offer from the rebel league ICL.

Yes

England's ticket prices are horrible to say the least. It is just pure love for the game that keeps the crowd coming despite the exorbitant prices. Test cricket needs to evolve and administrators have to brainstorm about means of making it more entertaining for the layman public while retaining it's charms for the hardcore fan.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Absolutely. Without offending, I think the people from the few countries who still get Test crowds (England and Australia mainly) have blinders on. And that's hurting the game, big time. But it'll reach them too, and hopefully it's not too late by that point.

IPL attracts more viewers, on the field and on TV, than an India-Australia Test series. Test cricket needs to market itself fast. That means referrals, day night cricket, maybe colored clothes and names on the back, etc. Sitting in a full house at Lord's on the opening day of the summer, it's easy to be fooled.

Quote Originally Posted by rivera213 View Post
    1- No, though the BCCI would like that to happen.
    BCCI gets such a small amount of money from Tests, and their biggest expense is the entire domestic First Class circuit which takes tens and tens of millions of dollars to run and makes zero money. If they really wanted to end it, they would have.

The question is not whether someone wants to end it, but whether they will be forced to.
    Last edited by silentstriker; 19-05-2009 at 08:10 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    Yeah, I mean the ECB will manage to get crowds for the Ashes if they charge 100 quid a ticket, so I don't think that is the major problem. I think they shoudl look at reducing the prices for minor series like the WI ones and reducing them for ODI games.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    1) Had double pneumonia as a kid, as did my twin sis. Doctors told my parents to pray that we lived through the night. Dad said **** off, I'm an atheist, you ****s better save my kids, etc. Then prayed anyway.

Hall of Fame Member chaminda_00's Avatar
    I do agree with SS, a lot of Australian and England based viewers seem to have the binders on when it comes to Test Cricket. Yeah they may still get full crowds or atleast for any semi major Test series. But for every other country the format is dying a slow death. It makes no money and no one turns up to watch the games live.

It is easy to blame Twenty20. But the issues started long before Twenty20 come on Internationally. Live TV for cricket all around the world, reduces the need to see players live. Back in the day the only way you can see overseas players live was going to watch them play at the ground or during a home summer. Now someone like Ajantha Mendis could be a house hold name in Australia, without ever playing Test cricket in Australia. There isn't really a need to watch a game live at the ground anymore.

The other issue is the current format with 2-Test matches series all over the place. You need 3-5 Tests to create interest in a series. Most series are over before they start.

Global TV and 2-Test match series were killing Test cricket long before prices went up to stupid levels and Twenty20 came in.
    The man, the mountain, the Mathews. The greatest all rounder since Keith Miller. (Y)

Jaffna Jets CC (Battrick & FTP)

RIP WCC and CW Cricket

Member of the MSC, JMAS and CVAAS

Have argued that high ticket prices and non-free to air Test cricket especially in England is alienating the future generation of cricket fans for short term profits. But not a pom, so what would I know?

Refuse to entertain the notion that coloured clothes will have any impact on the game until I see any market research evidence to the contrary. Night Test cricket is a must.

For all the talk of Test cricket dying, would like to see some trends and figures ie drops in attendances, TV audiences etc. And if it is dropping, is it because other sports and activities are stealing viewers, or is it other formats of the game? (again, not conjecture real figures). For all we know the boost in T20 patronage could be a completely new market which could have a major flow on opportunity for Test cricket.

Aside from all that, I don't think the boards market Test cricket very well. The product's great, we all know that, but they place much more attention and efforts on the sexier versions and it's that vested interest which is most harmful. As long as ODIs/T20 is doing well, they won't care. Give the marketing of Test cricket to a semi-autonomous unit and you'll see marked improvment, imho.

Let's also not get carried away by a spike of a format in its initial growth stage. Yes it's doing well, yes the IPL, WC et al were stunning successes, but will the momentum still be going strong after another 5 years? Way too soon to tell.
    Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information