• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is test cricket dying?

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
2 days - Power play
2 days - Spin play
1 day - Free play

Something like this??? :p
I was thinking more like paceplay (the quicker bowlers' equivalent of spinplay) for the first session of each day, spinplay between lunch and tea, and then freeplay until stumps. How uncomplicated is that? I can't believe that idea hasn't been implemented already tbh.

I was thinking more like paceplay (the quicker bowlers' equivalent of spinplay) for the first session of each day, spinplay between lunch and tea, and then freeplay until stumps. How uncomplicated is that? I can't believe that idea hasn't been implemented already tbh.
Test cricket, the blue riband version of the game, is under impending threat. In six of the 10 countries where it is played, it is virtually unwatched most of the time by live audiences, while in a seventh, Zimbabwe, it has not been played for almost three years and may never beso again.

Vibrant though the game might be in three countries – England, Australia and India – there are profound concerns that most of the power, influence and, crucially, money will all belong to India. The International Cricket Council are probably worried, but what their officials possess in gumption they lack in influence, especially where India are concerned.

any comments??

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Test cricket, the blue riband version of the game, is under impending threat. In six of the 10 countries where it is played, it is virtually unwatched most of the time by live audiences, while in a seventh, Zimbabwe, it has not been played for almost three years and may never beso again.

Vibrant though the game might be in three countries – England, Australia and India – there are profound concerns that most of the power, influence and, crucially, money will all belong to India. The International Cricket Council are probably worried, but what their officials possess in gumption they lack in influence, especially where India are concerned.

any comments??
Reference plzzzz.

Cricket in turmoil as IPL put future of Tests in doubt - Cricket, Sport - The Independent

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
So the umpires will have to yell out "paceplay" instead of "play" everyday morning?????????

So the umpires will have to yell out "paceplay" instead of "play" everyday morning?????????
no need of spinplay or paceplay in tests

let it be played as it has been played for 133 years

just have a proper championship system

the 50 ovs really needs renovation

Last edited:

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
^ Yeah get ride of the idiotic power play system from ODIs.First 20 overs Power play is fine..

Leave Test cricket as it is..

Use T20 to make up for losses from ODIs and Tests..

This can only be done if money is seen as the means to and end, not the end itself..If profit is the ultimate goal of any form of cricket...then how much profit is enough?? It will never be enough.

Make money to sustain cricket, dont play cricket to make money.

^ Yeah get ride of the idiotic power play system from ODIs.First 20 overs Power play is fine..

Leave Test cricket as it is..

Use T20 to make up for losses from ODIs and Tests..

This can only be done if money is seen as the means to and end, not the end itself..If profit is the ultimate goal of any form of cricket...then how much profit is enough?? It will never be enough.

Make money to sustain cricket, dont play cricket to make money.
T20 is not really making it up any more just check the thread T20 is dying

Jezroy

State Captain
I'd add a rest day...

2 days - power play
2 days - spin play
Rest day - self-play (:naughty: - it gets lonely on tour)
1 day - free play
Don't mean to generalise, but for the Rest Day, when women's teams play tests (though it's rarer now), maybe a "Team Play" day?

Let Test Cricket be played as it has been played for the past 133 years

No need of D/N Tests or any plays

The 50 ovs really need a change:)

Do you agree ??

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Let Test Cricket be played as it has been played for the past 133 years

No need of D/N Tests or any plays

The 50 ovs really need a change:)

Do you agree ??
I actually disagree with this. I am in support of D/N test matches and I will give you my reason with an example..

Among cricket fans, fans of test cricket would be slightly older in general than the fans of T20 cricket. A die hard test cricket fan, who has the fire to watch all 5 days of a test match will more than likely be above 18.
Now I am one of those test cricket fans. There was a time when I had the luxury and freedom to wake up at 10 am and put on the TV and just watch cricket for the rest of the day and do nothing else. As much as I loved that life..all good things come to an end and you get older and you have to start working..
Unfortunately I have to wake up at 7 am and get to work by 9 am..and believe it or not, the losers there actually expect me to work till 5 pm and not waste much time watching cricket in the lunch room. I believe that is the story for a vast majority of test cricket fans. We are older, and as much as we would like, we are not related to Carlos Slim, Mukesh Ambani or even Lalit Modi...so we have to work..
So D/N test matches actually makes it possible for the very people who actually care about test cricket to watch test matches AFTER work.

So a big yes to D/N test matches :)

Yes I am aware that Test cricket has survived for 133 years but times are changing. People are changing, their lifestyles, mentalities, preference are changing. Whether its for the better or worse is a different matter (I personally believe its for the worse) but the truth is that its changing. Test cricket no longer makes money. ODI cricket no longer makes money. You kind of have to compromise a little bit in order to protect the larger cause, which is to save test cricket.
The younger generation (aka the Twilight generation) would much rather spend their money on a movie about a 110 year old vampire and a teenage girl.
In such a case, Test cricket has to try to accommodate the generation that will actually bother to pay and watch 5 days of test cricket.

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I actually disagree with this. I am in support of D/N test matches and I will give you my reason with an example..

Among cricket fans, fans of test cricket would be slightly older in general than the fans of T20 cricket. A die hard test cricket fan, who has the fire to watch all 5 days of a test match will more than likely be above 18.
Now I am one of those test cricket fans. There was a time when I had the luxury and freedom to wake up at 10 am and put on the TV and just watch cricket for the rest of the day and do nothing else. As much as I loved that life..all good things come to an end and you get older and you have to start working..
Unfortunately I have to wake up at 7 am and get to work by 9 am..and believe it or not, the losers there actually expect me to work till 5 pm and not waste much time watching cricket in the lunch room. I believe that is the story for a vast majority of test cricket fans. We are older, and as much as we would like, we are not related to Carlos Slim, Mukesh Ambani or even Lalit Modi...so we have to work..
So D/N test matches actually makes it possible for the very people who actually care about test cricket to watch test matches AFTER work.

So a big yes to D/N test matches :)

Yes I am aware that Test cricket has survived for 133 years but times are changing. People are changing, their lifestyles, mentalities, preference are changing. Whether its for the better or worse is a different matter (I personally believe its for the worse) but the truth is that its changing. Test cricket no longer makes money. ODI cricket no longer makes money. You kind of have to compromise a little bit in order to protect the larger cause, which is to save test cricket.
The younger generation (aka the Twilight generation) would much rather spend their money on a movie about a 110 year old vampire and a teenage girl.
In such a case, Test cricket has to try to accommodate the generation that will actually bother to pay and watch 5 days of test cricket.
Awesome post.. :notworthy:

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
seems to be a popular topic these days. guys im doing a research on this topic as a part of my assignment so i have a few questions.

1. Do you think test cricket is dying?

2. Do you think the 20-20 tournaments are having an impact on Test cricket?

3. Do you think the prices for tickets to test matches are overpriced?

thanks guys
Struggling to get my head about the prices being overpriced. Tickets overpriced, yes. Prices overpriced, you've got me stumped.