• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Class is Permanent, Form is... an Illusion?

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
So: without a reasonable definition of form you can't define an acceptable model..? It might be better suited to a baseballer if he enters each bat with the intent get a hit or home run. Rarely would a batsman in test cricket bat the same in the 1st and 2nd innings where a 25 off 100+ balls to save a match, declarations etc make it near impossible to make sense of the data without a test by test analysis at least. E.g. this method would highlight the great run of 100's Kallis went on in successive test matches, Bradman, Hayden et al.
Even in baseball there are a lot of such batter-related variables. For instance a batter who is on a long hitting streak will be very aware of the fact, and so may tend to adapt his play in the hope of extending his run. Perhaps by playing it safe and focussing on getting hits rather than home runs, etc.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
So: without a reasonable definition of form you can't define an acceptable model..?
That's my precise point. Form and performance are not the exact same thing. Form is merely one component in the likelihood of whether or not a player will perform.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
That's my precise point. Form and performance are not the exact same thing. Form is merely one component in the likelihood of whether or not a player will perform.
That's it. If you define form by the end result (i.e. runs), well yeah we've seen the lack of a positive correlation there. I don't think the end result describes 'form' well enough, though. For example, a bloke might be spanking them in the lead-up to a series, barely score a run then smack the daylights out of the next opponent. To the outsider, it would appear he'd been in and out of form but I don't think it's that simple. How many times do you hear a player go on and on about how well they're hitting them in the nets despite not scoring a run? That said, if it's taken to Mark Taylor-esque heights of denial........

A really big indicator of form for mine has always been how a player is getting out. If they're getting out different ways for low scores, I've always thought it less likely they were out of form than if they're nicking every ball in the corridor. Mark Taylor, again, has coloured my judgement here perhaps; squared-up and nicks just about every time to 'keeper/slip and claims he's just around the corner from a big score? Whatever, Tubby.

indiaholic

International Captain
Good read. To T_C, even if form can't be captured through runs scored, doesn't it mean that form at least has no predictive value?

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Here are some new versions of the graphs that kicked the whole thing off...

EDIT: Is it just me or is that second one going Rorschach Blot on the rest of you?

Last edited:

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
In statistics this is true. However, in cricket, this isn't the case. Every event isn't independent of previous ones. An in form batsman is more likely to make runs than a not in form batsman, or one with lower abilities.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Wouldn't innings or match bowling be a better sample than runs scored in an innings?
I would think so. I also think this thing would hold true for lesser players. Would love analysis of a bowler like Brett Lee or a batsman like Nasser Hussain.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
In statistics this is true. However, in cricket, this isn't the case. Every event isn't independent of previous ones. An in form batsman is more likely to make runs than a not in form batsman, or one with lower abilities.
What's your basis for the above?

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Common sense and logic, dude. Cook went through a trough. He was less likely to make runs during that trough. However, he was more likely to make runs once he was out of the trough in 2015. He did make runs more in 2015 when he was out of that trough.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
In 2015, Cook passed 50 11 times in 26 innings (1 not out). 11/25 is 44%.
In 2013 and 2014 when he was not in form, he crossed 50 11 times in 40 innings (1 not out) 11/39 is 28%.

How is form nothing when a player is more likely to cross a 50 when he is in form?

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
In 2015, Cook passed 50 11 times in 26 innings (1 not out). 11/25 is 44%.
In 2013 and 2014 when he was not in form, he crossed 50 11 times in 40 innings (1 not out) 11/39 is 28%.

How is form nothing when a player is more likely to cross a 50 when he is in form?
have you just missed the whole actual statistical argument in this thread? Or do you not understand it?

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Worth restating in another way, to illustrate the difference between being "in or out of form" using Tendulkar's numbers, and being technically and mentally shot, as Cook was.

These are Tendulkar's 50+ rates depending on his average from the last ten innings.

Code:
 8-16: 75% (4 innings)
16-24: 47% (15 innings)
24-32: 28% (36 innings)
32-40: 30% (47 innings)
40-48: 38% (63 innings)
48-56: 42% (52 innings)
56-64: 37% (52 innings)
64-72: 29% (34 innings)
72-80: 47% (17 innings)
80-88: 17% (6 innings)
  88+: 50% (2 innings)