• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Would you drop Mark Boucher from Tests right now?

Would you drop Mark Boucher from the Test team?

• Total voters

Craig

World Traveller
A few people have pulled him up for his poor form in Test cricket, especially in this series just finished against Australia, and some have suggested he should be replaced. But the thing is, is there anybody better then him in South Africa right now, and not just a token quota, or somebody who has had more then one good year? And is there somebody better 'keeping wise, which to me is the most important factor. I'm not sure whether I would support AB being thrust into that role, as awesome as he is, it could have an affect on his batting form.

So it is a no for me, I think he has done enough over the years to keep his spot, and plus his experience. All cricketers go through bad trotts with the bat, even so for blokes who are not picked first and foremost for that task.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
A wicketkeeper of Mark Boucher's class and experience should never be dropped after a couple of average test series with the bat.

He was a class above Haddin with the gloves throughout the 6 test matches against Australia. His batting has been below par of late, but before that he looked pretty good against India, England and Bangladesh. Too early to start writing off a cricketer who has only shown hints of fading.

Unless South Africa have a young keeping talent who is prime to take the number 1 position, stick with Boucher until the signs are really obvious he can no longer cut it.

popepouri

State Vice-Captain
Whatever he does with the gloves makes up for his batting ability (which isn't that bad). I'd prefer saving 4 byes more than hitting a boundary.

ozone

First Class Debutant
I would drop him, but not if it meant giving de Villiers the gloves, which is what I think would happen if he is dropped. Basically, only drop him if he's going to replaced with a better keeper/batsman.

grant28

School Boy/Girl Captain
I wouldn't even consider it. His glovework is still world class and ok so he's in a dip of form with the bat, doesn't he at least deserve to be stuck with a lot longer than others round the world.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
A wicketkeeper of Mark Boucher's class and experience should never be dropped after a couple of average test series with the bat.

He was a class above Haddin with the gloves throughout the 6 test matches against Australia. His batting has been below par of late, but before that he looked pretty good against India, England and Bangladesh. Too early to start writing off a cricketer who has only shown hints of fading.

Unless South Africa have a young keeping talent who is prime to take the number 1 position, stick with Boucher until the signs are really obvious he can no longer cut it.
This.

His keeping **** all over Haddin's these past 6 tests. Sure his batting wasn't as good as in the past, but it was hardly Chris Martin-esque.

Given the great form de Villiers is in, I'd not be asking him to do anything ATM other than what he's doing. Scoring shed loads and fielding like a genius. de Villiers for Boucher as keeper may weaken the strength that is de Villiers batting, with no trade off in keeping ability.

Briony

International Debutant
A year or so ago I would have said no but with the deterioration of his batting and a slight decline in terms of his keeping coupled with the fact that Boucher is getting long in the tooth and they don't play another test for nine months, I would be looking elsewhere. AB would be the best option but it would weaken their general fielding and might detract from his batting.

Debris

International 12th Man
Who do you replace him with? De Villiers seems a risky choice as you might cripple his batting.

Maybe there is a young keeper I am not aware of.

DaRick

State Vice-Captain
He's in poor form with the bat, not with the gloves. His keeping is still exemplary. Until that declines with his batting and until there is an obvious replacement (excluding AB de Villiers, whose batting may be adversely affected if he keeps), he should be retained.

Jakester1288

International Regular
AB to keeper
AB clarified his w/k stance the other day - he's not against taking the gloves.
Contradiction much?

About the thread, if there is a young keeper with equal or close to the same ability, and the potential, I would be keeping him around the side, but while Boucher is fit, playing and the best option, keep him. AB isn't the best keeper, and although probably test match standard, he may be a Sangakarra kind of, detracting from his batting when he has the gloves.

Last edited:

kingkallis

International Coach
Some idiots wanted Smit to take over, why? Cause he outbowled all Dolphin bowlers this season! A leggie...

Boucher stays!