• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

First cricket match you viewed live

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
(A piece I had written some time back.)

South Africa v India, 10th November 1991 recollections.

Fifteen years ago, upon their re-induction into cricket, South Africa played it’s first match in international cricket after a gap of 21 years and 8 months in Eden Gardens, Calcutta. Incidentally, it was also the first cricket match I viewed. The ticket pronounced an India-Pakistan match – Pakistan were due to tour India but had cancelled it due to increasing communal tensions. It meant that the world got the first view of the likes of Andrew Hudson, Peter Kirsten, Brian McMillian, Dave Richardson and South Africa’s greatest fast bowler post re-induction yet and arguably their greatest in history - “white lightning” Allan Donald. Kepler Wessels, who would go on to captain South Africa in their first test back in the international arena, had played for Australia earlier of course.

Back in 1991, as a nine year old, Rice and Cook reminded me more about food than cricket and Donald flashed Disney’s Donald Duck character in my head. Memorable Allan Donald versus Michael Atherton battles were yet to imprint permanent marks. The match itself was not particularly exciting. Wisden reports that the game started at 9 A.M. – a full twenty minutes earlier than the usual scheduled start of games at Eden Gardens which meant batting was much more difficult in gloomy, cold and swing friendly conditions. South Africa were found wanting and managed only 177 in 47 overs (reduced). The trio of Kapil Dev, Prabhakar and Srinath exploited the conditions to finish with a total of five wickets in 29 overs giving away only 88 runs.

Kepler Wessels managed very slow 50 runs off 90 balls before he was bowled by Tendulkar. There was another player who reached a respectable 43 in that game. Adrian Kuiper was 32 and his best years were already behind him. Yet, he managed to give me my first lesson in cricket. Kuiper hit the only six in the South African inning and the Eden Gardens record crowd – knowledgeable and appreciative of good cricket at large - stood up to applaud the six. As a nine year old, I didn’t know the meaning of applauding good cricket or sportsmanship yet and asked my cousing brother “why applaud an opponent?” I did stand up and clapped and learnt a small but crucial aspect of the gentleman’s game that day.

India chased down that target in merely 40.4 overs and even though they lost 7 wickets, it was a comfortable victory. Sachin Tendulkar – another name which meant little back then, hit one of his many fast paced one day 50s which charecterised Tendulkar as a one day player back then but it was another unfancied Mumbai player who caught my attention. Pravin Amre was the other half centurian in that Indian innings. While Sanjay Manjrekar was the technician, Tendulkar was the stroke maker and Azharuddin was the master in placement, Pravin Amre was the style guru for me back in the day.

Lips tightly clenched, eyes wide open, Amre would hit the bat on the pitch very hard several times after he would take guard and as the bowler would run in to bowl. He would then hit the most audacious shots non chalantly. Hitting the pitch hard signified in a raw manner grittiness and intent to not throw his wicket away. Value for one’s wicket is a virtue I have always admired since then. Amre went on to make a 100 on test debut at bouncy Durban of all places and he would remain a hero despite being dropped after a string of poor performances. The man who made the biggest impression on that winter day at Eden Gardens was Allan Donald with his five wickets. Taking the first three wickets of Shastri, Sidhu and Manjrekar, Donald put India at a spot of bother. Twenty for three is not a score you can be comfortable with even when chasing only 177. Donald would go on to take 602 international wickets in total but he will not forget those 5 wickets he took on 10th Novemner, 1991. Neither will this cricket addict who was hooked to cricket on that memorable day 15 years ago.

Precambrian

Banned
I don't remember whether it was SA vs Pakistan or SA vs England in Aus 1992. But ever since those cool kits, and Kepler Wessels (loved the name), I was madly in love with cricket.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
I cant remember the year, but a Yorks vs Hamps CC game at Headingley. Gower and his coloured socks were the most memerable thing of the day. Was still a great day.

First Test was Eng v WI at Headingley in 1990.

Cant remember first ODI. May have been SA vs India at Centurian in 2007 (2006 maybe)

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
RHis one India versus Pakistan, Feroze Shah Kotla - Feb 1961

The match started three days after my 11th birthday. Four of us decided to go and see the Test match. We wanted to see Hanif Mohammad, the Little Master (the original one) more than anything else. I dont remember ever being so excited in all my life before or since. We didnt have the money. So we decided to 'manage' I brought out all the old newspapers and so did my friends and we sold them to the scrap dealer. It wasn't enough. We brought out all the empty soda and coke bottles. It was glass bottles those days and you could sell them for quite a bit of money. Finally, I asked my sisters for all their pocket money and promised to pay them when I got mine. I sold all my marbles and finally we had just enough.

We walked a few kilometers to the nearest train station, took a local train, got down at the station nearest to Kotla and walked a few more kilometers to the ground. All to save money. The match had started by the time we reached. Jaisimha and Contractor were batting. The friend of mine who was to meet us outside the ground was cursing because he was missing the action waiting for us.

Inside the ground was packed like a can of sardines.We made our way through the mad crowd to the concrete stairs that act for seats around the ground, sat down wherever we could around the mid wicket area. But we kept chatting to each other across the crowd. Finally people got fed up and moved around to let us all sit together :).

At lunch time we all took out the stuffed 'paranthas' (flat bread) almost all of us had got from our mothers and it tasted great.

Umrigar got a hundred for India as they piled up a big total, young Mushtaq Mohammad got a hundred on debut but Pakistan followed on, Desai cleaned up Hanif in both innings and Mahmood Hussain looked ferocious as he bowled bouncers at the Indians. Thats what I remember of that game :)

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I can't remember the year, but was early-mid 80s and Cambridge University versus Leicestershire at Fenners. I'm almost certain Gower was playing and tonned up and Derek Pringle might have been playing for Cambridge, but I couldn't swear to that. I was very wee and was more impressed by the cornetto my Godfather bought for me. :cool:

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Superb SJS. :) I remember fondly the rotis and curries we used to take to test matches not that long ago. Nothing like home cooked food!

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Think it was day 3 of the first Ashes test in 93..tough introduction for a lad, saw Such and Tuffnell **** about with the bat for half an hour before David Boon ground his way to 85* at the close of play as Australia crawled to 231/3.

Chubb

International Regular
Think it was Essex v Glamorgan County Championship circa 1995. My grandad took me to Chelmsford on the train to see one day of it... Gooch was playing, so was Paul Pritchard which was cool because he was from Hutton (my grandparents knew his parents). I don't remember anything about the play but I used to have the scorecard around... we went to see the West Indies tour game that summer as well. The oldest scorecard I have now is Essex v Warwickshire from 1997. Again grandad took me and my friend to see it- the two sides were meeting in the knockout final the next weekend so there were cameras filming interviews and stuff- we tried to get in the background.

Going to cricket with my grandad was brilliant because he knew everyone and everyone liked him. He is good friends with Robin Hobbs, the last English legspinner (Hobbs even gave my mother her first job) so we used to spend time with him and later when Andrew Clarke was on the staff (whose dad was one of my grandparents' best friends and a really, really good club cricketer) we'd meet up with him as well.

Nishan

U19 Cricketer
Sri Lanka vs Pakistan 1997 at Premedasa stadium, Sri Lanka got the last wicket out by run out hence i got to see the entrie day watching my team bat. Sanath came in at number 6, Russel Arnold was playing his first series.

I always remember at the end of the game Kumar Darmasena coming up to me and shaking my hand. First meeting with an international cricketer.

ripper868

International Coach
Aus vs Sri Lanka in 1999 During the Triangular One Day series in Australia.

Was a game at the SCG, cant remember specifically but I'm pretty sure Gilly notched 130 odd.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Australia v Pakistan at Brisbane, 9 Jan 2000

Came down to Brisbane with my old man and watched a dominant bowling performance by the Aussies. Chasing only 184, we were terrible losing by 45 runs.

Brett Lee's debut, not too many other highlights..

The next day I watched this match: India v Pakistan at Brisbane, 10 Jan 2000

It was a much better match Pakistan won by 2 wickets with an over to spare, I remember one of the Indians took a blinder of a catch at square leg, I thought it was Dravid who took it, not 100% though.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The first one I can remember would be this one at the Gabba:

Cricinfo - 2nd Test: Australia v West Indies at Brisbane, Nov 23-26, 1984

I remember Kim Hughes playing a hook shot and being caught (by Marshall it seems) in the first innings. I remember the hill and the dog track at the Gabba. I remember people holding up signs on the hill as women walked past (with scores on them). I think there was a fight that day too. I remember Garner bowling. And I remember a lady next to me talked to me and gave me a pen.