View Poll Results: McGrath or Murali?

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • Muralitharan

35 57.38%
  • McGrath

26 42.62%
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Special Poll 1: McGrath or Murali?

Special Poll 1: McGrath or Murali?

Choose either McGrath or Murali as the last bowling option for Post Packer XI

Their stats minus minnows are...

M Muralitharan (SL) 1992-2009 101 170 34263 14267 589 9/65 16/220 24.22 2.49 58.1 49 16
    GD McGrath (Aus) 1993-2007 120 235 28485 11930 549 8/24 10/27 21.73 2.51 51.8 29 3

FYI

The bowling attack of the selected Post Packer XI is

Imran Khan
    Richard Hadlee
    Malcolm Marshall
    Shane warne

Hall of Fame Member chaminda_00's Avatar
    LOL you took out Murali stats against the pre 2003 Zimbabwe side, a Test standard team. Says it all for mine.
    The man, the mountain, the Mathews. The greatest all rounder since Keith Miller. (Y)

Jaffna Jets CC (Battrick & FTP)

RIP WCC and CW Cricket

Member of the MSC, JMAS and CVAAS

International Debutant Evermind's Avatar
    Unfortunately, because the team already has Warne, I don't see the point of having Murali in it, although I'd rate Murali > McGrath in terms of overall bowling capability.

Cricket Champion! Jackpot Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by chaminda_00 View Post
    LOL you took out Murali stats against the pre 2003 Zimbabwe side, a Test standard team. Says it all for mine.
    It's arguable that they were Test standard, depending on the definition given to that, but what's not arguable is that they were by far the minnows of the time. Murali has many more matches against them than someone like McGrath. Don't you think it's unequal?

Personally, I think we have enough bowlers and would rather a batsman to either of these gentlemen, but if we must choose then McGrath it is.
    Last edited by Ikki; 04-03-2009 at 01:59 AM.
    ★★★★★

those stats were removed for all players in all the polls. it is not something new for this poll alone.

I've voted for murali. imran, hadlee and marshall can handle the new ball splendidly. warne and murali will set shop on the last two days. good luck to the opponents.

Quote Originally Posted by Ikki View Post
    It's arguable that they were Test standard, depending on the definition given to that, but what's not arguable is that they were by far the minnows of the time. Murali has many more matches against them than someone like McGrath. Don't you think it's unequal?

Personally, I think we have enough bowlers and would rather a batsman to either of these gentlemen, but if we must choose then McGrath it is.
    If you look at purely from a team's ability to play spin. That Zimbabean side were better players of spin then the English side of that era. Therefore you might as well take away the stats from matches against England. Bowling wise they were still slightly minnow. But batting wise there were on par, if not better then other sides. So it is unequal.

Anyway personally I think whole thing is joke, he won fair and square at the start and really you should be picking two spinners anyway. You pick two quicks at the start of the draft, why not two spinners.

Not going to vote, as the whole thing is joke really. He already won.

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    McGrath, mainly because Warne's already in there and I loved watching McGrath bowl. I didn't see Murali bowling enough (only saw him in Australia) to enjoy it as much as these two.
    "What is this what is this who is this guy shouting what is this going on in here?" - CP. (re: psxpro)

R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

"How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

I voted Murali - I consider McGrath to be the (very slightly) better bowler, but Murali won the poll for this and in fairness deserves to go into the team.
    Member of the Twenty20 is Boring Society

Quote Originally Posted by grecian View Post
    C'mon Man U.
    RIP Craigos

Cricket Champion! Jackpot Champion!
    If you look at purely from a team's ability to play spin. That Zimbabean side were better players of spin then the English side of that era. Therefore you might as well take away the stats from matches against England. Bowling wise they were still slightly minnow. But batting wise there were on par, if not better then other sides. So it is unequal.

Anyway personally I think whole thing is joke, he won fair and square at the start and really you should be picking two spinners anyway. You pick two quicks at the start of the draft, why not two spinners.

Not going to vote, as the whole thing is joke really. He already won.
    Erm, I very much doubt anybody was as bad against anything as much as Zimbabwe were at the time. Even Murali's own record reflects this - how he does against England and Zimbabwe.

For your interest (spin bowlers vs other teams, during Murali's career (the lower the average the easier it was).

Well, if he won because everyone wanted him he'll do so again. The problem with the first poll was that it split people between a few seamers and one spinner. The quality of both is high enough that the preference of having a spinner or seamer is probably greater than the preference of having a specific player.

Do that pre 2003 and looks at the stats. There was nothing wrong with the first poll. If people wanted McGarth, they would have picked him then or at the start in the openers poll.

It just a joke to go through it all again. There is always going to be preference for your average fan for 4th seamer, even if it 4th right arm seamer, over any spinner. Reckon Waqar Younis would win over Warne or Murali if there was already one spinner in the squad.

Basically this poll is <insert 4th seamer> v <2nd spinner>

The last poll was far better as it allowed the best bowler to win. This poll will never do that. You might as well just have a poll at the start. Did you want 4-1 attack ot 3-2?
    Last edited by chaminda_00; 04-03-2009 at 02:37 AM.

chaminda, i think you should vote for murali and not hurt his chances by abstaining

Cricket Web Staff Member archie mac's Avatar
    I just can't

One bored me to tears, and the other.......
    You know it makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by bagapath View Post
    chaminda, i think you should vote for murali and not hurt his chances by abstaining
    I have principles I don't vote in pointless polls.

Don't understand this poll - Murali already won it fair and square.

Quote Originally Posted by adharcric View Post
    Don't understand this poll - Murali already won it fair and square.
    This

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information