• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Where to now for Pakistani cricket?

pasag

RTDAS
Might be a bit too soon, but this is a cricket forum and one of the major cricketing nations are going to be exiled from cricket - so to speak.

No teams will tour there for years to come & they'll lose the WC for starters.

Hopefully their cricketers will still be able to play plenty of international cricket and perhaps a lot of the lost revenue can be sorted out (like SA being compensated by Aus for Boxing Day Tests).

Thoughts?

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I was thinking the same thing. I think Bangladesh or Zimbabwe will tour Pakistan in a year' or so's time. Till then they may tour other countries. No major test playing nation will tour Pakistan for 2-5 years and countries like Sri Lanka, Australia and New Zealand (a bomb blast had occured outside the kiwi team's hotel not that long ago) wont go there for a decade and more. Neutral venues like Abu Dhabi will come into the picture in the near future.

Last edited:

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
There'll be no cricket played in Pakistan for the foreseeable future.

But on the other hand, the PCB can't possibly remain stubborn over moving tests out of the country, so their team could actually end up playing more cricket as a result as long as it's financially viable to play in Dubai.

biased indian

International Coach
Might be a bit too soon, but this is a cricket forum and one of the major cricketing nations are going to be exiled from cricket - so to speak.

No teams will tour there for years to come & they'll lose the WC for starters.

Hopefully their cricketers will still be able to play plenty of international cricket and perhaps a lot of the lost revenue can be sorted out (like SA being compensated by Aus for Boxing Day Tests).

Thoughts?
NZC cricket Boss said that hey have not dropped the series coming in Nov and will decide in july

and don't see any one going there in near future ..but the whole world is not safe its not that every body have stopped to going to Olympics after Munich

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
and don't see any one going there in near future ..but the whole world is not safe its not that every body have stopped to going to Olympics after Munich
The image Pakistan potrays is of a country on the verge of collapse because of the situation the country is in with regards to fundamentalists, terrorist groups (I am not saying the common Pakistani man is a fundamentalist here). So a country like NZ will certainly not go there in November. Countries will start touring Pakistan but very slowly.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
NZC cricket Boss said that hey have not dropped the series coming in Nov and will decide in july

The crucial difference is that Pakistan had security concerns before the event. If some terrorist comes into my room right now and shoots me, the English government are not remotely to blame.

But what if everyone had said beforehand that England was not safe to live in due to the threat? What if all of my friends had purely refused to go there on the grounds that it was too dangerous? And the English government had assured me that I'd have state-of-the-art security, England is not as unsafe as everyone had said, and they'd take such good care of their guests that noone will so much as lay a finger on me? Then, I get shot.

It pretty much demonstrates irrefutably that Pakistani security is inept. That sounds quite brash, but it's true. They're utterly powerless to stop terrorists from attacking cricketers. Fact. Any international cricket team who travels there in the next five years should undergo mental examinations beforehand.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
could actually end up playing more cricket as a result as long as it's financially viable to play in Dubai.
Dubai is hurting more than most with the economic down turn. Ex-pats of all nations are dumping their cars at the airport and jumping on the next flight out.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
I certainly hope Pakistan won't be exiled from world cricket, just unable to play matches at home. Other boards should step in and allow Pakistan to play in their countries, so that the long-suffering Pakistani cricket fans can still see their team play. For example, Pakistan and the ECB should look again at playing in England... issues such as revenue-sharing from gate receipts and impact on the home board's TV revenue shouldn't be insurmountable if everyone puts their heads together.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
There really is, IMO, no way of knowing. "The foreseeable future" is the ultimate undefined time. It could quite easily be 4-5 years. No-one should expect it to be less.

Yet things can happen far quicker than anyone ever expects. Those saying Pakistanis need to wake-up to the realities seem to me to be quite right, but so are those saying that, in terms of scale rather than cricket prestige, far worse than this Lahore shooting escapade has happened before and still nothing is being done.

In the meantime, clearly, Pakistan's cricket team are best-served to try to play at neutral venues, wherever that may be. Whether this proves to be merely a papering-over of the cracks remains to be seen.

We've seen, in Zimbabwe, how a truly terrible political climate can essentially completely destroy a sport. Of course we all hope against hope that this doesn't happen in Pakistan, but I think it's a possibility it'd be naive to suggest is completely OOTQ.

sammy2

Banned
I can't believe they came out to kill the players, unbelievable. I think the cricketing world will obviously not tour there for a very long time, I don't think five years from now this event will be dull in the memories of every major cricket playing nation. And if any other terrorist attack is carried out again in the near future as in two years from now, add another 10 years minimum of cricket teams not touring pakistan. OMG if they had actually executed their plan.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Sadly, I don't think we'll see international cricket played in Pakistan again for the next decade, maybe two.

The effect of this latest incident will consolidate the trend over the past seven years, where cricket there has become increasingly rare. It would be unrealistic to expect any major teams to tour there anytime in the next two-four years based on this event. And at the moment, the consensus of expert opinion seems to be that the situation in Pakistan is unlikely to be any better in four years time, in fact it may well be worse. Seems to be genuinely teetering on the edge of the slope into being a failed state - and if that occurs, 10-20 years is a pretty realistic timeframe.

Can anyone name any failed states that have, in the modern world, become functional again?

In the short term, I hope the Pakistani team can play out of the UAE - seems to be the most logical and convient option.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
There'll be no cricket played in Pakistan for the foreseeable future.

But on the other hand, the PCB can't possibly remain stubborn over moving tests out of the country, so their team could actually end up playing more cricket as a result as long as it's financially viable to play in Dubai.
They would get fantastic support at Headingley & Old Trafford. I would love to see Pakistan continue playing cricket but I can't imagine how I would feel if England were destined to not play cricket at home anytime imaginable. I know cricket is the last of your worries in many ways, but Fusion, np, Beleg, Xuhaib, and the rest, you guys are in my thoughts and I hope things pick up :(

Fusion

Global Moderator
Cricket being played in Pakistan is over, as it rightfully should be. If we can't guarantee the safety of our guests, then we should not invite them. I've had a few hours now to digest the news and it has only made me sadder and angrier. If I knew someone from SL here in Dallas, I would go right up to them and apologize for what happened. At the moment, I really don't care if about the future of Pakistan cricket. My thoughts are with the SL team and the families of those policemen who lost their lives.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Pakistan is not going to be exiled but it is going to become very difficult to get teams to agree to go there.

I think Pakistan needs to decide upon a venue that can be used as a surrogate home venue and play the home matches there till the terrorist situation improves. Getting the situation in Pakistan to improve to an extent that it is acceptable to others will take time and it is futile to try and put a figure to it but what is important is that Pakistan cricket must be nurtured and the Pakistani team must not be denied the oportunity to compete with there peers just as the Pakistani fans should not be denied the pleasure of seeing their heroes test their mettle against the best in the world.

This is not a time to try and use sound bites to convince the world. Its a time for pragmatism and if a surrogate home venue wil carry the day then thats what it should be.

Its a time to look for out of box solutions and not keep on repeating old hackneyed phrases and rhetoric as if it was politics and not cricket that was at stake.

Amobokobokoboko

U19 12th Man
The attack was awefull, I hope Pakistan manages to play some games in the further future so they keep up their good work. Games played in Pakistan will be a no for a long time I reckon.

Hopefully those injured players will be better really soon.

pskov

International 12th Man
I think it is at least equally as likely that Pakistan will now play neutral tests in England as the UAE. In England the only thing you'd have to sort out would be the TV rights issue, as attendance wouldn't be a problem at all, in fact they'd draw bigger crowds to tests in England than than they have in Pakistan for years.