View Poll Results: Who is Pakistan's second best Test cricketer ever?

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • Abdul Qadir

0 0%
  • Asif Iqbal

0 0%
  • Fazal Mahmood

1 2.56%
  • Hanif Mohammad

0 0%
  • Inzamam Ul Haq

0 0%
  • Javed Miandad

4 10.26%
  • Mohammad Yousuf

0 0%
  • Mushtaq Mohammad

0 0%
  • Saeed Anwar

0 0%
  • Wasim Akram

33 84.62%
  • Waqar Younis

1 2.56%
  • Zaheer Abbas

0 0%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who is Pakistan's second best Test cricketer ever?

Who is Pakistan's second best Test cricketer ever?

Reckon this might be a good opportunity to run this, considering the increased activity among the Pakistani posters during the ongoing series. As in the polls for the Indians and the Australians, we're voting for the second best, not necessarily greatest.

Sachin Tendulkar leads by a landslide for the Indians, and Miller has a 6 vote lead over Warne so far for the Australians other than the Don.

Cast your vote in the poll, please.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Lots of greats to choose from here, but went for Wasim Akram, simply because he's one of my all tiime favourites. Biased? Hell yeah.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

Global Moderator nightprowler10's Avatar
    Yeah, really quite hard to go past Akram. I'm biased here as well though, I only grew up worshiping the man.
    RIP Craigos

Iím torn between Akram and Miandad (with all due apologies to Inzi, Hanif, and Waqar). Miandad probably doesnít get the credit he deserves for Pakistanís success during the 80ís and parts of 90ís. Much like Tendulkar, he often had to carry the teamís batting on his shoulders. Once he was established, all the expectations and pressures were on him. He provided brilliant tactical support to Imran on the field as a Vice-Captain. I LOVED his street fighting style. You knew that Miandad would always go down fighting for Pakistan, no matter what the situation. Having said all that, I ended up voting for Akram. Probably the most talented bowler that Pakistan ever produced (though not the best, as that would be Imran IMO). His comparatively better success against the best sides and players of the world probably edges it for me. He has a decent record as Captain as well and I think he wouldíve done even better if not for all the player revolts and politics. Incidentally, I do wish SJS was still posting as he could probably do a good write-up on Hanif and Abbas.

For the record, I almost considered creating a poll for the third best instead of second best, but decided it would probably be disrespectful towards the likes of Fazal Mahmood, Hanif Mohammad and Miandad to discount them totally.

Quote Originally Posted by G.I.Joe View Post
    For the record, I almost considered creating a poll for the third best instead of second best, but decided it would probably be disrespectful towards the likes of Fazal Mahmood, Hanif Mohammad and Miandad to discount them totally.
    I think that was the right decision. Like I said, I'm definitely torn between Miandad and Akram. I've seen SJS post before that he considered Abbas to be the best Pakistani batsman ever, so conceivably he (and others) may consider him the 2nd best ever Pakistani player. Akram may deserve to be called 2nd best, but I donít think itís a clear-cut choice.

Cricket Web Staff Member
    Have to go for Fazal Mahmood - he was such a dominant force in their early days.

Cricket Web - Features: Series Points - A New Way of Ranking Test Players - the 1950s

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Interesting thing about Wasim - he didn't make the post-Packer XI, and whilst considered brilliant by most, if not all, cricket followers, is not often mentioned as an all timer.

Yet when you here the guys who played against him, they all rated him as dangerous as any bowler they ever faced. Loved the way that fella played cricket.

Quote Originally Posted by Fusion View Post
    I’m torn between Akram and Miandad (with all due apologies to Inzi, Hanif, and Waqar). Miandad probably doesn’t get the credit he deserves for Pakistan’s success during the 80’s and parts of 90’s. Much like Tendulkar, he often had to carry the team’s batting on his shoulders. Once he was established, all the expectations and pressures were on him. He provided brilliant tactical support to Imran on the field as a Vice-Captain. I LOVED his street fighting style. You knew that Miandad would always go down fighting for Pakistan, no matter what the situation. Having said all that, I ended up voting for Akram. Probably the most talented bowler that Pakistan ever produced (though not the best, as that would be Imran IMO). His comparatively better success against the best sides and players of the world probably edges it for me. He has a decent record as Captain as well and I think he would’ve done even better if not for all the player revolts and politics. Incidentally, I do wish SJS was still posting as he could probably do a good write-up on Hanif and Abbas.
    ditto. I share the same thoughts as you on Miandad and Akram. I shall only add to Miandad's portion that the bowlers he had to face tells something about him. If a batsman can average over 50 after facing bowlers like Hadlee, Marshall, Lillee, Ambrose, Garner, Thomson, Roberts, Holding, Walsh, Kapil for all his career especially while he being the only world-class batsman in the line-up for a long part in his career, he certainly deserves to be considered among the best of batsmen of all time.

Yeah SJS would have been the best person to write something about Abbas. He is an ardent fan of Abbas, and considers him Pakistan's best batsman purely based on the style and grace involved in his batting.
    Last edited by weldone; 24-02-2009 at 03:48 PM.
    "I want to raise my hand and say one thing. Those who complain about my love for the game or commitment to the game are clueless. These are the only 2 areas where I give myself 100 out of 100."
    - Sachin Tendulkar, as told in an interview published in Bengali newspaper Anandabazar Patrika after his 100th International century (translated by weldone)

Definitely Wasim.

First Class Debutant
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Interesting thing about Wasim - he didn't make the post-Packer XI, and whilst considered brilliant by most, if not all, cricket followers, is not often mentioned as an all timer.

Yet when you here the guys who played against him, they all rated him as dangerous as any bowler they ever faced. Loved the way that fella played cricket.
    Yes .Love the guy to death .The way he played.The way he rated by his peers .Clearly not a clean charcter and flawless cricketer .Highly controversial and an underachiever as well.

But i can watch the guy whole day without changing the channels .Not just another fast bowler.An artist with the ball.
    Last edited by funnygirl; 24-02-2009 at 06:05 PM.

Akram is their Best Cricketer ever. Imran Khan is the greatest Pakistani Cricketer, but not the best, he is their second best.

Since Imran is not an option, I abstain.

First Class Debutant
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanz View Post
    Akram is their Best Cricketer ever. Imran Khan is the greatest Pakistani Cricketer, but not the best, he is their second best.

Well what is the difference between the greatest and the best.

Quote Originally Posted by funnygirl View Post
    Well what is the difference between the greatest and the best.
    Best is judged on purely cricketing skills and achievements, Greatest is judged on cricketing skills and more such as leadership qualities,achievements under that leadership, assembling talents, getting the best out of them etc.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanz View Post

Actually that's a decent question; why is the thread about the second-best player when the best is in dispute?

Anyway, I'm only really raising this because this thread is such a tough one to answer and I'm totally avoiding it.

Between Imran, Miandad and Akram for mine. Loved Waqar the most but those three = quality.

EDIT: For sheer talent, all-wicket ability and just plain gun-ness, Wasim.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information