• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is Dale Steyn the worst ever best fast bowler in the world?

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
No helmets + inferior equipment. Means can easily intimidate lesser batsmen. ATG ones will not be intimidated whether a helmet is there or not.
I'd be interested to see the stats on finger injuries but it's always seemed to me that those have become more prevalent as time has passed rather than less so. As for batsmen being scared (all fast bowlers will always try to intimidate - that's their job) - I can't really see how that comes into the equation as techniques vary from batsman to batsman and evolve over time anyway

Using Larwood as the example it is true that the odd tailender would back away from him but then they do that to quicks now. Some of the Australians (eg Woodfull, Ponsford and Fingleton) just let him hit them, Bradman danced all over the place in order to find a way of playing him whilst McCabe and Richardson stood toe to toe with him and took him on - I don't think it can be said that any of them were scared

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Can't an the analogy. But if Steyn is "worst ever" best fast bowler, Larwood has more claims for it.

Cannot understand the Larwood love here.
Me neither. Benaud though when selecting his 6 fast bolwer shortlist, chose Larwood, Mcgrath,Lillee, Linwall, Barnes and I believe Trueman. So are some who rate him quite highly.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't think it is at all likely that Larwood was better than Steyn, Ntini or Lee. However, I think that it is the wrong question to ask and the more relevant question is how much better he was than his peers. Analysis of the first kind can lead people to discredit Bradman as a "destroyer of poor bowling" and although this exaggerates the case, I think we can all agree that it would be totally irrelevant to state such a statement.

fredfertang

Yeah but you don't see Dale Steyn downing pints in the drinks break. (would go from one of my favourite cricketers to my very favourite if he did.)
I believe that on occasions he would use nasally ingested substances as well

watson

Banned
Dunno about that benchy but he was keen on a pinch of snuff
Snuff only? That's a shame.

Jardine: Fancy some 'Leg Theory' Harold
Larwood: Sounds a bit gay. What is it Douglas?
Jardine: It's where you snort lines of coke, down a six pack or two, get hammered, and then bowl 8 bumpers at Bradman's head in the same over. Interested?
Larwood: Er, yes.

Would have explained a lot.

Last edited:

Jager

International Debutant
:laugh:

More seriously though, the Larwood love stems possibly from the fact that all of his contemporaries speak/spoke so highly of him, his unique place in history, his remarkable talent and the fact he humbled Bradman

Agent TBY

International Captain
Infract? In my day, mods didn't have to play with the new infractions rule and could easily intimidate lesser posters!

fredfertang

:laugh:

More seriously though, the Larwood love stems possibly from the fact that all of his contemporaries speak/spoke so highly of him, his unique place in history, his remarkable talent and the fact he humbled Bradman
I'm a great believer in fairness, so worth pointing out Larwood was only getting his own back on Bradman after being slapped around in 1930 - one of the sadder aspects of the Bodyline saga was that the two of them didn't have a deciding contest in 1934

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'm a great believer in fairness, so worth pointing out Larwood was only getting his own back on Bradman after being slapped around in 1930 - one of the sadder aspects of the Bodyline saga was that the two of them didn't have a deciding contest in 1934
That's not how your ex wife tells it, Tangy.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I'd be interested to see the stats on finger injuries but it's always seemed to me that those have become more prevalent as time has passed rather than less so. As for batsmen being scared (all fast bowlers will always try to intimidate - that's their job) - I can't really see how that comes into the equation as techniques vary from batsman to batsman and evolve over time anyway

Using Larwood as the example it is true that the odd tailender would back away from him but then they do that to quicks now. Some of the Australians (eg Woodfull, Ponsford and Fingleton) just let him hit them, Bradman danced all over the place in order to find a way of playing him whilst McCabe and Richardson stood toe to toe with him and took him on - I don't think it can be said that any of them were scared
Small point, but wasn't leg theory devised after DRJ had a eureka moment that Bradman lacked a little testicular fortitude when faced with short, quick stuff?

"He's windy" is the quote that sticks in my mind and I remember Lol being particularly proud of a riser that hit Braddles "up the arse" when he turned his back on the Notts demon. One thinks of Old Siward's first question when the news of his son's death is broken "Has he his hurts before?".

I believe that on occasions he would use nasally ingested substances as well
TBF if Steyn nasally ingested anything he'd be at serious risk of an overdose. Wholly impressive proboscis he has.