• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in South Africa

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Utterly deserved series victory for Aus. They dominated from day one whilst South Africa only made an appearance on the 4th days.

Squad for the 3rd test is announced straight after this game - it will be farcical if Neil Mac is apart of the side for Cape Town but Ntini and Morkel will probably avoid the axe for there isn’t anyone else.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Well I've got to say that's probably our most satisfying series win since the victory in India in 2004. After losing in India, then even more painfully the first home series defeat in 16 years, I feared the worst on South African soil - particularly when compounded by the inexperience of the bowling attack we took with us.

But to their immense credit, the boys have clearly done a lot of soul-searching and have come back magnificently against the odds. Big ups to Punter too, who has come in for plenty of criticism over his time in charge. He deserves a lot of praise for galvanising this young team and deserves the plaudits that will no doubt come his way now.

Very well played lads. :)

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
My biggest problem with bringing Lee back in is that the series he's aiming for is in a country where he has a very ordinary record.

Be interesting to see how he goes in the IPL and the Twenty20 WC (which I think is before the Ashes, correct me if I'm wrong), and how much that sort of cricket weighs in the mind of the selectors.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
MotM has to go to Hughes, but MotS should be almost a shoe in for Midge.

Only Siddle can really snatch it from him now IMO.

social

My biggest problem with bringing Lee back in is that the series he's aiming for is in a country where he has a very ordinary record.

Be interesting to see how he goes in the IPL and the Twenty20 WC (which I think is before the Ashes, correct me if I'm wrong), and how much that sort of cricket weighs in the mind of the selectors.
Agreed

Reckon he'll be selected to tour but should really be a back-up

Matt79

Global Moderator
Utterly deserved series victory for Aus. They dominated from day one whilst South Africa only made an appearance on the 4th days.

Squad for the 3rd test is announced straight after this game - it will be farcical if Neil Mac is apart of the side for Cape Town but Ntini and Morkel will probably avoid the axe for there isn’t anyone else.
Surely they won't dump MacKenzie if Smith is going to miss the game.

Hoggy31

International Captain
Clark, Johnson, Siddle>Lee. Would be an injustice if he got a game over a fit one of those three. Don't think four seamers will play when Watson returns, either.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Surely they won't dump MacKenzie if Smith is going to miss the game.
Probably won’t (de-facto vice-captain, friend of the coach, captain) but they should. His done sweet FA home and away and the next test series he will be 34. His just stagnating the South African batting at the moment and if there is no Smith he doesn’t have the luxury of someone at least trying to score runs at the other end. It’s been tortuous watching him bat and at least Amla has looked good whilst doing nothing, Neil Mac has just looked dead cert out of his league.

I would also look to promote AB up to 4 and demote Kallis to 5. Dropped twice and still couldn’t go on whilst AB has shown far more reasonability with the bat in both series then Jacques, who has been surprisingly loose.

Matt79

Global Moderator
MotM has to go to Hughes, but MotS should be almost a shoe in for Midge.

Only Siddle can really snatch it from him now IMO.
Hughes can - when he continues his 0, 50, 100, 150 progression and double-tons up in the 1st innings of the 3rd test...

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
Probably won’t (de-facto vice-captain, friend of the coach, captain) but they should. His done sweet FA home and away and the next test series he will be 34. His just stagnating the South African batting at the moment and if there is no Smith he doesn’t have the luxury of someone at least trying to score runs at the other end. It’s been tortuous watching him bat and at least Amla has looked good whilst doing nothing, Neil Mac has just looked dead cert out of his league.

I would also look to promote AB up to 4 and demote Kallis to 5. Dropped twice and still couldn’t go on whilst AB has shown far more reasonability with the bat in both series then Jacques, who has been surprisingly loose.
Considering Prince comes in for Smith, who do you have that could replace N Mac?

EDIT: Too slow.

Last edited:

Son Of Coco

Brett Lee, for all his brilliance in ODIs has never been our best quick bowler.

He was third best behind McGrath and Clark until McGrath retired, then he was second best behind Clark until India, then he was second best behind Johnson in India and now he's at least third best again behind Johnson and Siddle.

He's never been a great bowler in test matches and has never run through a side, which you would expect your best bowler to do occasionally.
I'm not sure what you've been watching!? He bowled extremely well after McGrath retired and he became the leader of the attack.