• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

NZ vs. NZ in History

Athlai

Not Terrible
Here's my hypothetical lineups ranked in roughly how I rate them, but how do you think they'd go against each other? I'd assume that while 1st 2nd 3rd and 4th should rank roughly in the order I created them (besides the current lineup which is slightly devoid of legends).

And just how does the depth of all-time great NZers stack up to that of other Test playing nations?

1st XI
GM Turner
MH Richardson
JF Reid
MD Crowe (c)
NJ Astle
CL Cairns
BB McCullum
DL Vettori
Sir RJ Hadlee
BR Taylor
SE Bond

2nd XI
B Sutcliffe
JG Wright
SP Fleming (c)
AH Jones
MP Donelly
JDP Oram
IDS Smith
JEC Franklin
DJ Nash
SB Doull
JG Bracwell

3rd XI
BA Edgar
CS Dempster
BE Congdon
GP Howarth (c)
JR Reid
JV Coney
AC Parore
RO Collinge
DR Tuffey
EJ Chatfield
CS Martin/SL Boock

Current XI
TG McIntosh
JM How
DR Flynn
LRPL Taylor
JD Ryder
BB McCullum
JEC Franklin
DL Vettori (c)
KD Mills
JS Patel
IE O'Brien

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Wouldn't know how Javascript Patel qualifies. NZ must be scrapping the bottom of the barrell if they're picking random Indian computer engineers. Not everyone is a Kumble :ph34r:

Athlai

Not Terrible
Wouldn't know how Javascript Patel qualifies. NZ must be scrapping the bottom of the barrell if they're picking random Indian computer engineers. Not everyone is a Kumble :ph34r:
Oh the current XI is from the last match played. :ph34r:

archie mac

International Coach
I would have Read captain the team, and Sutcliffe in the first side as well, but a good effort, I once wrote down an all time XI, I think it was back in 1989 (I put a lot of research into it), I shall find it and put it up here:)

Julian87

State Captain
I don't know a lot of those players, and I am a ridiculously huge fan of McMillan, but surely he'd scrape into the second or third all time Kiwi XI.

Athlai

Not Terrible
I would have Read captain the team, and Sutcliffe in the first side as well, but a good effort, I once wrote down an all time XI, I think it was back in 1989 (I put a lot of research into it), I shall find it and put it up here:)
Yeah I'm really trying to improve my knowledge of NZ cricketing history and couldn't help but put Richardson over Sutcliffe with a little bit of modern-bias cheek. As for captain's I was basically shooting in the dark, as I haven't seen any in action.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Surely Hadlee would bat above Vettori? I'd have Fleming over Astle too, and i'd have him as captain.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Turner
Dempster
Sutcliffe
Crowe
Donnelley
JR Reid
Parore
Hadlee
Taylor
Bond
Cowie
Think I might put Wadsworth behind the sticks but that apart I'd go for that lot - narrow misses for Dion Nash, Dan Vettori, Hedley Howarth and Chris Cairns but I think Bruce Taylor wins the 4th bowling spot by a short head

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
1st XI
Richardson
Turner
Sutcliffe
Crowe
Donnelley
Cairns
McCullum
Hadlee
Vettori
Bond
Cowie

2nd XI
Wright
Dempster
Jones
Fleming
JF Reid
Coney
JR Reid
Nash
Taylor
Bracewell
Motz

I know Motz is a little out of left field, but if I were to pick a team, I'd want a bowler with a cutting edge and Motz, by all accounts, was one of the few moderately succesful New Zealand bowlers to provide that.

Last edited:

archie mac

International Coach
I picked this team in 1987:)

Turner
Sutcliffe
Donnelly
Dempster
Crowe (Martin)
Reid
Hadlee (Sir R)
Smith
Taylor (B.R)
Collinge
Cameron

archie mac

International Coach
Frank Cameron is an interesting choice Archie - what's the rationale behind that one?
Team balance, He could swing it both ways, so he could take advantage of the new ball, and was a good stock bowler, (and I imagine if NZ were bowling to other countires all time XIs there would be a lot of bowling!) but if I picked the team now, I have no doubt he would not make it:)