• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Xavier Marshall - Drugs Scandal

pasag

RTDAS
Probably right. Same goes for booze too. I often think that if Ian Botham had lived a clean lifestyle and had a proper diet and training regime he could have been just about the greatest player of all time. If you knew me you'd know how ridiculously hypocritical I'm being. But I know I'm not p!ssing away a Bothamesque talent.
Or maybe no TV and no beer make Beefy something something...

Woodster

International Captain
Played against Xavier Marshall about 3 years ago, and he was head and shoulders above our standard, although like a lot of these style players, he looked great in getting 30's, 40's, but took his eye off the ball, and never went on to make the big ones. Looked an exceptional talent and was beginning to blossom for WI also, until this irresponsible setback.

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
Dope can be used to calm nerves / alleviate fear levels. Which is one of the reasons its banned by WADA, just like Cocaine is banned as it can be used as a stimulant. In some sports this is more of an advantage than others, but its still an advantage.

Not to mention its illigal in most countries and rightly so, sportsmen are role models and i dont think it gives the right sort of message to say you can smoke dope and still play sport.

Jakester1288

International Regular
What a dickhead. He had talent, and despite being over-rated, could have gone somewhere in Cricket. He has wrecked his career by smoking some pot, now the West Indies need to go searching for another player to open the batting.

Does anyone know anyone who is good?

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Much as you may be the most pro-smoking person in history, even you'd find it hard to argue that a cricketer wouldn't be better served by not smoking than by doing so - the damage to one's athleticism by smoking is about as disputed as that the Moon orbits the Earth.
Athleticism perhaps, but I'm dubious about the notion that banning smoking would actually improve cricket as a sport. What I actually find funny though is that it's you making this argument.

Cricketers are undeniably more athletic now than at any other time in cricket history, yes? Even the difference between today and the early to mid 90s is stark, the difference between now and the 30s is a gulf of light years. Do you believe cricket to be a fundamentally "better" game now than it was in the 90s? The 30s? If the answer is no, which of course I know it is from previous discussions, you've pretty much defeated your own argument.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Dope can be used to calm nerves / alleviate fear levels. Which is one of the reasons its banned by WADA, just like Cocaine is banned as it can be used as a stimulant.
I don't totally buy this. Nicotine and even alcohol can be used to calm nerves and allevitate fear levels, and caffeine is a stimulant, and can be a very strong one taken in the right way. I find it pretty unlikely that the WADA would can cigarettes and coca-cola as performance enhancing drugs.

A hell of a lot of things are performance enhancing if you look at them in the right light. What about sports drinks? You've got to draw the line somewhere, and it's pretty daft IMO to actually consider marijuana a performance enhancing drug, given the way it can impair motor function, and furthermore I think it's pretty far fetched to imagine that any of the players who do smoke pot do it to improve their game play.

Clearly it's on the banned list because it is illegal in many countries and for no other reason of substance.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Athleticism perhaps, but I'm dubious about the notion that banning smoking would actually improve cricket as a sport. What I actually find funny though is that it's you making this argument.

Cricketers are undeniably more athletic now than at any other time in cricket history, yes? Even the difference between today and the early to mid 90s is stark, the difference between now and the 30s is a gulf of light years. Do you believe cricket to be a fundamentally "better" game now than it was in the 90s? The 30s? If the answer is no, which of course I know it is from previous discussions, you've pretty much defeated your own argument.
I don't really think so, given I didn't once say that better athleticism = better cricket, just that better athleticism > worse athleticism. If the skill isn't there, it's still of no real use, so it's irrelevant to the "was the game better in <x day>" argument.

And given that banning smoking could not do any real harm to any cricketers and could possibly improve a small number of players' athleticism, I do indeed think that banning smoking, non-prospect though it is, would make the game better, if only by a relatively small degree.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Probably right. Same goes for booze too. I often think that if Ian Botham had lived a clean lifestyle and had a proper diet and training regime he could have been just about the greatest player of all time. If you knew me you'd know how ridiculously hypocritical I'm being. But I know I'm not p!ssing away a Bothamesque talent.
It's a question I've wondered more times than can be imagined (and I'm sure many others besides to boot). However there's certainly something in what Gelman says:
Or maybe no TV and no beer make Beefy something something...
Who knows, maybe you take the stuff that made him waste his talents in later years out then you'd also impact upon how well he used them in earlier years. We'll just never know.

Oh, and piss isn't filtered, so there's no need to attempt to avoid the filter. :p

pasag

RTDAS
It's a question I've wondered more times than can be imagined (and I'm sure many others besides to boot). However there's certainly something in what Gelman says: Who knows, maybe you take the stuff that made him waste his talents in later years out then you'd also impact upon how well he used them in earlier years. We'll just never know.

Oh, and piss isn't filtered, so there's no need to attempt to avoid the filter. :p
Simpsons quote.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yeah sounds familiar, but I presume you weren't just quoting it randomly - I presume you actually meant something by it?

Woodster

International Captain
Kept your cricketing skills quiet until now.
With good reason!
TBF, Marshall hit me for a massive six when I did play against him, until he was outfoxed (?) with a slower ball, which fortunately he didn't quite get hold of and was caught at long on!

Flying V

U19 12th Man
Good grief.

Mind you technically the Moon doesn't orbit the Earth, they both orbit around their common centre of mass
That and they're french, at the end of the day smoking pot has no positive effects on sportsmanship, well you may think you're better, he shouldn't be banned for smoking pot at all.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
That and they're french, at the end of the day smoking pot has no positive effects on sportsmanship, well you may think you're better, he shouldn't be banned for smoking pot at all.
I know a numbers of basketball players that smoke before every game. "Loosens them up and gets rid of nerves"

Im not sure I believe it but it works for them

Last edited:

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
:laugh: , but its just weed. Hope he doesn't get banned, since smoking weed in Jamaica is an everyday pastime, he clearly wouldn't have taken it as a performance enhancer.