Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Are ticket prices getting silly?

Quote Originally Posted by Nibbles View Post
    The Ashes crowd at Edgbaston is a pretty young crowd. A lot of students get there, as theres a uni just down the road.

I wouldnt overly object to 75 myself to watch a match, provided i knew i was going to see a decent amount of cricket. A one day game, therefore, would be my choice if i was going to spend that much. But if this year is anything to go buy, they only saw a 28 over a side match which then ended up as a no result anyway due to the rain.

Put it this way, how would you feel if youd paid 75 for a ticket to only see 20.1 overs of cricket. I'd be a bit miffed but there would be nothing one could do!

Zaremba, i see what you mean about popularity but this to me seems like grounds trying to make too much out of this popularity. OK people want to see England play but the ECB and the counties should really be trying to get more people to the county games as most of them take place with only a handful of people in attendance. If you can get a decent crowd to county matchs (T20 helps!) then theres no need to charge absurd prices for England games just to balance the books.

It boils down to, at the end of the day, whether you'll see full grounds. I expect, much like this summer, there will be a few days during each test that dont have full crowds and the days that are full will mostly be quiet crowds and it wont be as good to be there in person.

The people that you really want to come to a match are your average joe in the street, not the business types with more money than sense. At the end of the day if you want a sport to grow then you need to get it talked about in the pub and the way to do that is to get those who talk abotu sport in the pub to come along and enjoy the day. That way, when you go to the pub you'll hear people saying 'oh did you see Flintoff's bowling today' instead of the usual football related toss that most people seem to talk about.

I hadnt, incidently, even thought about you aussies who are having to pay an absolute fortune to see matches. What were the ticket prices to the 06/07 Ashes series, per day? It wasnt bad a few years ago when you could get tickets to a days test for the very resonable price of 40, it actually made it ideal to go to every day if you really wanted. But at 75 a day, plus a hotel, flights, food and beer at the ground (which is a necessity but costs a fortune) the cost to touring fans seems to be a bit on the wild side!

I went to the first day at the MCG, I think I payed around $70. I actually saved the article that they released re ticket prices for the ashes.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Time: "Despite its gentlemanly manner, the sport generates tremendous passion in Britain and its former colonies."

Quote Originally Posted by Matteh View Post
    And what about those that also love cricket but can't? A sport needs its fanbase and can't survive by alienating it.
    Well how much do you want ticket prices to be? As with anything, supply v demand, if people didn't want it the price would drop, but clearly they do so it pushes it up. I don't see how you can have it both ways.
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

Stranger leering through a pair of binoculars
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    As I say, a fair point.

On the other hand, how far can they realistically drop the price of these massively in-demand tickets in order to accommodate these groups of people?

I mean, how many university students could afford ticket prices of even, say, 30? This would mean blowing an entire fortnight's weed budget on one day at the cricket, where the beer isn't even subsidised.
    Don't even get me started on the beer prices for watered down piss.
    Don't go chasing waterfalls

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Matteh's Avatar
    Boredmeeting Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    Well how much do you want ticket prices to be? As with anything, supply v demand, if people didn't want it the price would drop, but clearly they do so it pushes it up. I don't see how you can have it both ways.
    Edgbaston didn't sell out at all against SA so based on that they've upped it 15? Aussies are paying $70, which is much more reasonable.
    Quote Originally Posted by cpr View Post
    3. Although Cow Tipping is a hilarious student game in backwater towns such as Bangor, there really is no need for Mitchell to cover one side of the cow in superglue

70 isn't general public admission for the MCG either, regular seats for general admission were around 20-30 bucks in 06/07.
    Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

Cricket Spectator
    Edgbaston didn't sell out at all against SA so based on that they've upped it 15? Aussies are paying $70, which is much more reasonable.
    Exactly. Whereas they did, for at least 3 days, in the 2003 series. Given that cricket is more popular now it leads to only one conclusion, that people are reluctant to pay the increased prices!

But yes to the person that mentioned it on the previous page, what hope does cricket have if it wants to alienate a large section of its fanbase. It already has an image of a toff game (which, to be fair, it was for much of its history) and just as it starts to get attractive for the vast majority of the public they do things like this that rule the game out for the very people that they need to appeal to.

People will pay 75, of that i have no doubt, but the crowd will be restricted to those high flying businessmen with more money than sense and have very few of the younger generation and, particularly, families, who will not be able to afford something in the region of 200-250 for one days entertainment!

Wouldn't demand for tickets against Australia be a lot higher then tickets against South Africa?

Cricket Spectator
    Whereas they did [sell out], for at least 3 days, in the 2003 series [at Edgbaston]

Stranger leering through a pair of binoculars

People will pay 75, of that i have no doubt, but the crowd will be restricted to those high flying businessmen with more money than sense and have very few of the younger generation and, particularly, families, who will not be able to afford something in the region of 200-250 for one days entertainment!
    Don't families and young kids get discounted ticket prices though?

Cricketer Of The Year four_or_six's Avatar
    People will pay for it so I suppose they can charge what they like.

From my POV, I will likely stick with my world T20 tickets, 50 each for two back to back matches in London, second round and possibly with England playing. Also, an excellent booking system that had all the grounds and matches together and therefore you could just select your ticket from what was available when you got to the front of the queue.

Obviously I'd rather watch an Ashes test, but it'd probably cost twice as much. Also, to get a ticket you've got to randomly apply to each ground and you might end up with none, you might end up with four or five.
    Last edited by four_or_six; 10-08-2008 at 09:45 AM. Reason: typo

Ticket prices for tomorrow are 15 for adults, 7.50 for kids.

This is at least the 3rd time this has happened this summer on the last day of the Test (and at Lord's, at least, kids actually got in free).

Cricket Spectator
    Fair enough for the last day but, seriously, if rain doesnt effect the match, how often do they get to 5 days.

Put it this way, if you really want to go but cant afford it, is it really worth holding out and hoping they make it to day 5?

Cricket Spectator
    P.S. I read with interest the last few posts on this thread on the barmy army forum;

http://www.barmyarmy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=283

Oh and talking about tickets, does anyone know if WT20 tickets are still available? The ticket website from the ICC webby says they are are all unavailable, apart from the womens matchs. Surely they cant have sold out EVERY match?

Fair enough for the last day but, seriously, if rain doesnt effect the match, how often do they get to 5 days.
    The reality is that rain does affect matches in England, and this season 3 Tests have gone into a 5th day. I've no idea what proportion of matches go into a 5th day but as a wild guess I'd imagine it's about 2 or 3 per season.

Cricket Spectator
    Perhaps. But then, the only real point of going to a ground to watch a game is to get the atmosphere, something which is lacking on a fifth day of a test match unless something huge is about to happen (i.e. 2005)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information