• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Are ticket prices getting silly?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I can't find prices for Headingley for next year, I am hoping they aren't £75, this year I was originally going to go to the Edgbaston Test but we opted for Headingley as it was a good £20 cheaper, so Np - unless you have found info I haven't, don't count your trip out just yet. Also, you normally get a five-day ticket at a cheaper rate than just multiplying the one-day price by five

As for the question in general, going the Test Match is expensive, no doubt, but rather than comparing to other countries, we should compare to other events in this country.

In March, I paid £21 to get into Oldham V Tranmere, a football match. For those of you who have never heard my preachings, this is a match two divisions below the Premiership, the quality is pretty poor, there was a hole in the roof, it was pissing down and superkingdave supports Oldham, who won, giving him his annual rights over my avatar. A football league match lasts 100 minutes maximum including stoppage time.

In 2005, I paid about £30-odd to watch England V Azerbaijan at football in Newcastle. Given that since 2005 cost-of-living in this country has gone up about 20% (total guess plucked from the air, my personal col has gone up about 600% so I can't accurately comment) and that no internationals are played away from Wembley now, I'd imagine that even for a ****ty fixture like that you'd be looking at around £60?

Last month I spent less than £40 to watch a full day's Test Cricket, it lasted from 11 until about half past six and you can have a beer in the stands and generally relax so much more than at a football match. £40 is less than twice the cost of Oldham V Tranmere for a much higher calibre of sportsman, better venue and facilities. You could squeeze almost five football matches into a day at the cricket, five international football matches in this country would cost you a few hundred.

I don't go and watch any other sports, so someone like steds can probably compare for RL and I know Brumby makes the odd trip to Twickenham, but really, I don't think the cost of a match is that bad, relateively speaking.

Admittedly they cost a fair bit more at Lord's and The Oval, but then that crowd down there earn about twice as much as us for the same jobs :ph34r:

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Frankly reckon that being a member i should get in free to Test Matches instead of the £15 off. Always balk at the amount Edgbaston want for test matches, only reason i went this year is because i didn't pay for the tickets. Was so many gaps in the crowd for the first day of the SA Test that to my mind there's a lot of other people balking at the prices.

Nibbles

Cricket Spectator
Well lets take a rugby example. I was at Twickers for the GP Final this year and what a day. They realised that half full grounds generate no atmosphere at all, so did everything they could to guarantee a full house, including selling tickets for 5, 9 and 13 quid (about 10000 of them!).

Coincidently, on the day 80,632 people rammer into Twickenham on the day and a thoroughly good one it was too.

I dont think you can really compare prices with other sports though to be honest. People will pay staggering amounts for football matches and rugby matches, but if you look at the overall excitement generated from the match, its probably equivalent to a day at a test (one dayers are different i suppose!). Plus if your off to a rugby game you arrive at a pub 3 hours before cricket, sober up for half an hour before the match, drink through the game and spend the following 4 hours in the pub before getting a train home. So it kinda is a full day activity.

The difference with test cricket is that you arnt guaranteed any play, and certainly arnt guaranteed seeing particularly good cricket. Imagine turning up and watching Matthew Hayden and whoever is Australia's #2 at the moment bat all day long and finish the day 350-0 having paid £75 for the pleasure. I suspect the bars would make a fortune in people drowning their sorrows and knowing full well that when the wife founds out there will be trouble!

At least for a fairyball or rugby game your guaranteed to see a match and on a decent number of occasions its actually a pretty good match too. Thats not to say that cricket isnt good, far from it, its a different style though.

Perhaps if we put it into perspective, the EDF semifinals each year take place at the Millenium Stadium and feature 2 matches back to back, for a fairly decent £30 a ticket. In Rugby League they have the big weekend thing at the stadium with 6 matches over 2 days for £40 or something for the lot!

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Come to Australia to watch cricket when it's against a team you actually support, IMO :p
Watching an Ashes Test has been one of the items on my list to do before I die for quite some time now, so if I have a chance to do this, I will. I'd prefer to do this in England as I have a cousin in Glasgow I'd love to visit while I'm on the island, on top of which watching cricket in England seems to be more enjoyable.

Besides, have you seen seen us play Test cricket lately? We're horrendous. Though I am also planning on taking a trip to Pakistan around the time the next WC hits.

Dream big, my friend.

Last edited:

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
I can't find prices for Headingley for next year, I am hoping they aren't £75, this year I was originally going to go to the Edgbaston Test but we opted for Headingley as it was a good £20 cheaper, so Np - unless you have found info I haven't, don't count your trip out just yet. Also, you normally get a five-day ticket at a cheaper rate than just multiplying the one-day price by five
So there is hope yet? Do post here if you find something I don't, but so far it doesn't look good. :(

NFFC

Cricket Spectator
I went to the New Zealand test at Trent Bridge for 15 pounds on Day 3 (I'm still a kid) :huh: I saw a great days cricket and was very satisfied. 75 pounds for next year however is way too much, I think at The Oval it's even more expensive, they're just trying to make too much money out of everything.

Craig

World Traveller
It wouldn't be an issue for me and I'm no millionaire either, far from it. For the unaware, I love cycling and last year I went and saw the last 8 days of the Tour de France costing me close to $4000 and that is not on top of the air fares I had to pay ($2600), which is a lot considering if I had stayed for two weeks, instead of another 8 or 9. I also paid 80 euro later on to watch Inter Milan lose to Roma in the Italian Supercup Final.

The way I look at it, if you love something, and if it is not something you do all the time (ie go to a Test match), then why not? Try and get in early and save like anythng. Then again it may not be 0/350 it could be England getting over 400 in a day or whateveror you just don't know. I say if you can afford, go.

Matteh

It wouldn't be an issue for me and I'm no millionaire either, far from it. For the unaware, I love cycling and last year I went and saw the last 8 days of the Tour de France costing me close to $4000 and that is not on top of the air fares I had to pay ($2600), which is a lot considering if I had stayed for two weeks, instead of another 8 or 9. I also paid 80 euro later on to watch Inter Milan lose to Roma in the Italian Supercup Final.

The way I look at it, if you love something, and if it is not something you do all the time (ie go to a Test match), then why not? Try and get in early and save like anythng. Then again it may not be 0/350 it could be England getting over 400 in a day or whateveror you just don't know. I say if you can afford, go.
And what about those that also love cricket but can't? A sport needs its fanbase and can't survive by alienating it.

Jakester1288

International Regular
When I get older and whatever, I would like to go to alot of Cricket. However, if ticket prices keep raising at this rate, when I can go and do things how I want and everything, it will cost a ****load of money. I wanna go, not just watch it on T.V!

Speersy

U19 Cricketer
The Ashes crowd at Edgbaston is a pretty young crowd. A lot of students get there, as theres a uni just down the road.

I wouldnt overly object to £75 myself to watch a match, provided i knew i was going to see a decent amount of cricket. A one day game, therefore, would be my choice if i was going to spend that much. But if this year is anything to go buy, they only saw a 28 over a side match which then ended up as a no result anyway due to the rain.

Put it this way, how would you feel if youd paid £75 for a ticket to only see 20.1 overs of cricket. I'd be a bit miffed but there would be nothing one could do!

Zaremba, i see what you mean about popularity but this to me seems like grounds trying to make too much out of this popularity. OK people want to see England play but the ECB and the counties should really be trying to get more people to the county games as most of them take place with only a handful of people in attendance. If you can get a decent crowd to county matchs (T20 helps!) then theres no need to charge absurd prices for England games just to balance the books.

It boils down to, at the end of the day, whether you'll see full grounds. I expect, much like this summer, there will be a few days during each test that dont have full crowds and the days that are full will mostly be quiet crowds and it wont be as good to be there in person.

The people that you really want to come to a match are your average joe in the street, not the business types with more money than sense. At the end of the day if you want a sport to grow then you need to get it talked about in the pub and the way to do that is to get those who talk abotu sport in the pub to come along and enjoy the day. That way, when you go to the pub you'll hear people saying 'oh did you see Flintoff's bowling today' instead of the usual football related toss that most people seem to talk about.

I hadnt, incidently, even thought about you aussies who are having to pay an absolute fortune to see matches. What were the ticket prices to the 06/07 Ashes series, per day? It wasnt bad a few years ago when you could get tickets to a days test for the very resonable price of £40, it actually made it ideal to go to every day if you really wanted. But at £75 a day, plus a hotel, flights, food and beer at the ground (which is a necessity but costs a fortune) the cost to touring fans seems to be a bit on the wild side!

I went to the first day at the MCG, I think I payed around $70. I actually saved the article that they released re ticket prices for the ashes.

Attachments

Craig

World Traveller
And what about those that also love cricket but can't? A sport needs its fanbase and can't survive by alienating it.
Well how much do you want ticket prices to be? As with anything, supply v demand, if people didn't want it the price would drop, but clearly they do so it pushes it up. I don't see how you can have it both ways.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
As I say, a fair point.

On the other hand, how far can they realistically drop the price of these massively in-demand tickets in order to accommodate these groups of people?

I mean, how many university students could afford ticket prices of even, say, £30? This would mean blowing an entire fortnight's weed budget on one day at the cricket, where the beer isn't even subsidised.
Don't even get me started on the beer prices for watered down piss.

Matteh

Well how much do you want ticket prices to be? As with anything, supply v demand, if people didn't want it the price would drop, but clearly they do so it pushes it up. I don't see how you can have it both ways.
Edgbaston didn't sell out at all against SA so based on that they've upped it £15? Aussies are paying $70, which is much more reasonable.

pasag

RTDAS
70 isn't general public admission for the MCG either, regular seats for general admission were around 20-30 bucks in 06/07.

Nibbles

Cricket Spectator
Edgbaston didn't sell out at all against SA so based on that they've upped it £15? Aussies are paying $70, which is much more reasonable.
Exactly. Whereas they did, for at least 3 days, in the 2003 series. Given that cricket is more popular now it leads to only one conclusion, that people are reluctant to pay the increased prices!

But yes to the person that mentioned it on the previous page, what hope does cricket have if it wants to alienate a large section of its fanbase. It already has an image of a toff game (which, to be fair, it was for much of its history) and just as it starts to get attractive for the vast majority of the public they do things like this that rule the game out for the very people that they need to appeal to.

People will pay £75, of that i have no doubt, but the crowd will be restricted to those high flying businessmen with more money than sense and have very few of the younger generation and, particularly, families, who will not be able to afford something in the region of £200-250 for one days entertainment!

Craig

World Traveller
Wouldn't demand for tickets against Australia be a lot higher then tickets against South Africa?

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
People will pay £75, of that i have no doubt, but the crowd will be restricted to those high flying businessmen with more money than sense and have very few of the younger generation and, particularly, families, who will not be able to afford something in the region of £200-250 for one days entertainment!
Don't families and young kids get discounted ticket prices though?

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
People will pay for it so I suppose they can charge what they like.

From my POV, I will likely stick with my world T20 tickets, £50 each for two back to back matches in London, second round and possibly with England playing. Also, an excellent booking system that had all the grounds and matches together and therefore you could just select your ticket from what was available when you got to the front of the queue.

Obviously I'd rather watch an Ashes test, but it'd probably cost twice as much. Also, to get a ticket you've got to randomly apply to each ground and you might end up with none, you might end up with four or five.

Last edited: