• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How popular is cricket where you are?

cover drive man

International Captain
Here on Cw we have a very spread out community we have Aussies, Poms, Yankies, Indians, Chinese and we all (obviously) like cricket. But its obvious that the popularity of cricket varies were you are. Over here in the UK we are mainly a football country but we also have a decent interest in cricket. But what about you lot?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
In Queensland, NSW and ACT Rugby is definitely the dominant sport, but everywhere else in Australia, Victoria in particular AFL is more popular
As a more-or-less irrelevant aside, a Victorian who posts on Planet Rugby reckoned union was more popular in Vic than WA before the latter got the Force franchise. Any truth to that? Strange call not to give Victoria the Super 14 team if so, give the size of the states.

Anyway, cricket is comfortably our most popular summer sport (although league probably edges it in terms of spectators who go to watch), but is still v much in association football's shadow. I think cricket has quite a broad appeal amongst sports fans, especially in the north it seems. Round here it's probably seen as a bit nobby, possibly because our local first-class entity is Cambridge University.

Last edited:

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Football has always been big in Trinidad and Tobago, but particularly since we got to the World Cup in such spectacular fashion. Big improvements to the domestic football league have since arrived and more regular television coverage for it. Not many people turn out to the games, but a lot of people follow it. I'd say football is definitely the dominant sport right now in these parts. That especially because of Sunderland.

Cricket is still pretty big though, but the league is nowhere near as developed here for it. And the crowds tend to be a collection of friends with the players, killing time in the evenings and liming (Trini term for "hanging out"). T&T has been the dominant cricketing nation in the Caribbean for a couple of seasons now too.

sanga1337

U19 Captain
As a more-or-less irrelevant aside, a Victorian who posts on Planet Rugby reckoned union was more popular in Vic than WA before the latter got the Force franchise. Any truth to that? Strange call not to give Victoria the Super 14 team if so, give the size of the states.

Anyway, cricket is comfortably our most popular summer sport (although league probably edges it in terms of spectators who go to watch), but is still v much in association football's shadow. I think cricket has quite a broad appeal amongst sports fans, especially in the north it seems. Round here it's probably seem a a bit nobby, possibly because our local first-class entity is Cambridge University.
I think rugby league would've been more popular because they had the melbourne storm playing in the rugby league since 1998. Not so sure how popular union in WA is compared to Victoria, but in both cases they would both be second to AFL. Don't know much about the Force and how they got into the super 14 tbh

Julian87

State Captain
Considering this will be the very last season my family puts its involvement into junior cricket in my local area (on the North Coast of NSW with a population of about 16k people) cricket is really dwindling. Numbers are falling off, the talented kids just aren't coming through like they have been for the past 8 years, and sadly, all the good coaches in that time have moved on/are moving on, and there are NO likely replacements. Quite sad actually.

pasag

RTDAS
Very popular. The Ashes lead up was immense, front page of The Age virtually every day 3 months out. Warne's 700th drew 80,000+ people on a rainy day to the MCG for a dead rubber. When the Sydney drama happened people were talking about it wherever you went. Still, doesn't come close to footy here even though they don't compete usually.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Incredibly popular. So much does it overshadow other sports that the local TV channels refuse to give it coverage or even admit that its a sport.

gio

U19 Cricketer
Not great to be honest! You find your pockets here and there, mainly during the Ashes. The hype in Britain was so huge at that time even Scotland took notice. I remember being in a waiting room for the orthadontist in '05, where a kid was asking his dad when the next test was. Would never have happened before....

Redbacks

International Captain
When the national team play it's always well covered in Adelaide, not the really the redbacks :wacko: It really is the one team that brings everyone together.

Uppercut

Not good, cricket is treated with contempt and i am treated with contempt by people after they find out i like it.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Not good, cricket is treated with contempt and i am treated with contempt by people after they find out i like it.
Whereabouts in Ireland are you based?

It's obviously a minority sport over there, but I was in Galway for St Patrick's day last year when Ireland beat Pakistan and it got a fair bit of coverage. Whenever I or one of my drinking companions spoke every barman/taxi driver would ask "you been following the cricket then, lads?" on hearing our accents.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I'd say it's a battle between Cricket and Rugby Union for second most popular sport. Cricket tends to get more column inches, domestic Rugby generally gets better attendances. International Cricket here usually draws a good crowd, and we'd probably have a mad scramble for tickets for next summer if weren't having a medicore to poor summer this time around.

_Ed_

Everyone here gets excited when NZ are playing well. Then, one loss later, "back to business as usual" and no one cares.