• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Fair Play for Responding

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
This is the email I sent a couple of people at the ECB

Sir/Madam,

I am writing to call for the resignations of the England selectors and Coach.

The debacle we have just witnessed at Headingley was both predictable and avoidable and they must carry the full weight of responsibility of getting selection wrong and at the same time alienating half the seam bowlers in the country.

The selection of Pattinson was one that was controversial and risky and whoever pushed the idea needs to have staked their reputation on it and resign.

After following England for many years, I have not seen a selectorial decision with so little justification and that carried so many negative implications.

The decision to play only 5 batsmen also was a major contributing factor in the loss but that issue pales in comparison to the lack to merit based selection structure that leaves potential players wondering whether the team is picked by a needle in a phone book.

I could go on forever, but I shall stop.

I hope for resignations as this England cricket leadership obviously cannot deliver.

I look forward to your response

Regards

Kevin

The Reponse

Hello Kevin

Thanks for your email and your comments, which have been noted.

There are no plans for any of the selectors to resign; but they will obviously take the lessons of the last Test on board when the meet to discuss selection for the third Test this week.

With best wishes

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Pretty sure they'd have a few canned responses. :)

Err - Too slow it appears.
It's more than likely an auto-response that just inserts the name of the person who sent them the email.
I doubt it is an auto response as it fits the email well.

However, it is possible and if it a generated response then it shows the volume they are dealing with on the issue.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I doubt it is an auto response as it fits the email well.

However, it is possible and if it a generated response then it shows the volume they are dealing with on the issue.

Give us the addresses you sent your message to and then we can all bombard them.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Haha, just wrote to them, how long did it take for them to reply Goughy?

I'll post in here if I get a reply.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Excellent, I'll be interested to see my response as I praised Pattinson "He is an honest player and a fantastic chap, and I thought he bowled very well in his debut test and he showed his heart with the bat in the second innings"

I bagged Vaughan and the selectors for picking Vaughan.

So I look forward to my reply. lol

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
This is the email I sent a couple of people at the ECB

Sir/Madam,

I am writing to call for the resignations of the England selectors and Coach.

The debacle we have just witnessed at Headingley was both predictable and avoidable and they must carry the full weight of responsibility of getting selection wrong and at the same time alienating half the seam bowlers in the country.

The selection of Pattinson was one that was controversial and risky and whoever pushed the idea needs to have staked their reputation on it and resign.

After following England for many years, I have not seen a selectorial decision with so little justification and that carried so many negative implications.

The decision to play only 5 batsmen also was a major contributing factor in the loss but that issue pales in comparison to the lack to merit based selection structure that leaves potential players wondering whether the team is picked by a needle in a phone book.

I could go on forever, but I shall stop.

I hope for resignations as this England cricket leadership obviously cannot deliver.

I look forward to your response

Regards

Kevin

The Reponse

Hello Kevin

Thanks for your email and your comments, which have been noted.

There are no plans for any of the selectors to resign; but they will obviously take the lessons of the last Test on board when the meet to discuss selection for the third Test this week.

With best wishes
Like your passion and do agree that a couple of the selections were dubious to say the least. Having said that IMHO I don't believe those couple of suspect selections cost England this test match. I mean lets be honest, it was hardly a close thing.

In reflection the signs have been there all year for mine that South Africa would be too strong for England, especially when one considers England were often exposed throughout the summer by a decidely average and inexperiened NZ side, who unfortunately are themselves the absolute masters of the choke. However when NZ faced SA late last year it was an absolute no-contest and aside from the 1st day of the 1st test (with Bond playing), NZ didn't fire a shot.

I think many English fans are blinded by the fact this is actually a very strong South African side in top form (with the exception of Kallis & Ntini), one which in my opinion could quite possibly topple Australia when they square off. I think in this instance credit should be given to SA.

Obviously this series isn't over, but you'd have to think its a long way back for England regardless of the selections. I'd think their best chance is to hope a dry track is prepared, win the toss, bat & hope the pitch dusts-up for Monty.

Craig

World Traveller
Maybe we can send e-mails to the BCCI, the PCB, the ICC and whoever else we see fit.

CricketWeb - slowly taking over the cricketing world :ph34r:

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Like your passion and do agree that a couple of the selections were dubious to say the least. Having said that IMHO I don't believe those couple of suspect selections cost England this test match. I mean lets be honest, it was hardly a close thing..
One or 2 things can make a huge difference. 1 good partnership makes Englands first innings very respectable.

A couple of early break throughs in SA 1st innings and its a different game.

A couple of changes can make a huge difference. Dont think we can know how much for sure, but dont underestimate that in cricket one or 2 small things can make a world of difference.

Cricket is a game of inches where if you miss look like yards.

FTR, Im not particularly passionate. Im used to England losing and have not lived there for a long time. I just hate people of questionable decisionmaking ability getting positions of responsibility.

Its not England losing but people being bad at their job.

Last edited:

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Thread title says it all, really. Fair play to the ECB for responding. Interesting to see what they have to say about it.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I think the reply was very patronising and if that's been copied and pasted and is word for word accurate it doesn't even make sense.