• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

"why we have 3rd umpire now"

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
There we go, some common sense.

Apart from me, only took 4 pages.
C'mon mate, try to at least respect the opinion of those who disagree with you. You have to accept that as a human, there is a possibility that you are wrong on some accounts.

ret

International Debutant
That's a stupid and a borderline racist video. I dont even understand how can anyone find this sort of thing funny.
it's too much for you to understand, i guess .... btw, there is something called sense of humor too

ret

International Debutant
This is just ridiculous. Similar video can be found about every Country. Top_Cat is so right about why now ? Here is a catch that Ponting didn't claim :-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISotZ99GkHc&feature=related

And we never give him the credit for that.

And now the Spirit of India Video :- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNCdD7KC9eI Check out the Ganguly catch - First the guy takes a bump catch and then asks the umpire if the batsman hit it. Ridiculous considering how much we love to point our fingers at Clarke.

Lets face it, none of us can really take a high moral ground here.

Here is the famous Kotla Test whre Kumble took 10 wickets :-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jxSK-9HSlk

Check out Afridi Dismissal (@101/0) - Afridi's reaction says it all.
so who is stopping you to post those things? :unsure:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Cricket is one of few sports where they dress up blatant cheating as part of the game. If the fielding team knowingly dismisses a batsman they know isn't out, that's cheating. Similarly if a batsman is out but remains at the crease that's also cheating. The fact that the laws of cricket are interpreted to say that everything is left to the umpire so the players are just letting him decide doesn't make it any less so.
In this case the umpire fires Lara out before anyone has even appealed, something which an umpire is not entitled to do.
AWTA

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
since this topic has diversified into bad decisions from 'why we need 3rd umpires', below is another bad decision against Lara .... is this before 3rd umpire era?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YS56RbaojWc

:sadwalk:
I love your definition of 'bad'. In this case it seems to mean great.

The ball lodges between Waughs armpit and upper arm and he pulls his hand up to collect it.

I thought that was a bad decision when it was given. In fact I held it against Waugh for a while. However, if I met him id apologise as it is a fair catch. The mistake was mine, not his

ret

International Debutant
I love your definition of 'bad'. In this case it seems to mean great.

The ball lodges between Waughs armpit and upper arm and he pulls his hand up to collect it.

I thought that was a bad decision when it was given. In fact I held it against Waugh for a while. However, if I met him id apologise as it is a fair catch. The mistake was mine, not his
hmm, i found the below comments on youtube

, in this particular game, he didn't realise it didn't carry until after he got back the the change rooms when Tubby asked Waugh what he will say when they ask why he claimed the catch. After seeing the replay, Waugh went into the West Indian change rooms and apologized.
it does appear as a dropped catch as the ball seems to touch the ground when it is below his chest but since that happened so quickly, i doubt Waugh knew that so it can't be held against him .... but definitely a bad decision for me

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Cricket is one of few sports where they dress up blatant cheating as part of the game. If the fielding team knowingly dismisses a batsman they know isn't out, that's cheating. Similarly if a batsman is out but remains at the crease that's also cheating. The fact that the laws of cricket are interpreted to say that everything is left to the umpire so the players are just letting him decide doesn't make it any less so.
In this case the umpire fires Lara out before anyone has even appealed, something which an umpire is not entitled to do.
Couldn't agree more, top post (Y).

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
hmm, i found the below comments on youtube

it does appear as a dropped catch as the ball seems to touch the ground when it is below his chest but since that happened so quickly, i doubt Waugh knew that so it can't be held against him .... but definitely a bad decision for me
Well, if it's a YouTube comment it must be true......

See, I watched just about every ball of that series live and I don't remember Waugh ever doing or saying anything along those lines. He's been quoted many times since, in fact, saying he took the catch fairly. A quick google finds nothing of the sort. I think you'll find it's myth.

The catch itself and the video doesn't tell us a lot. The 'bobble' that people see in catches which they think is the ball hitting the ground and rebounding up is often not the case, as players who've taken fair, low catches have told us over the years. I personally, whether on the ground or in the box would have given it not out but only because of lack of conclusive evidence. Waugh claiming it, I have no problem with.

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
what was wrong with it?

Healy appealed for a stumping, Lara got given out. Lara should have walked instead of whinging about the decision to the umpire, hell Ive never seen an umpire or ref change their decision unless informed otherwise by another official.

Lara was at fault in that video, Healy was not.
That's disgraceful. Obviously Lara could clearly see that Healy had dropped it and therefore is entitled to dispute it if he thinks Healy is cheating. Regardless of whether or not Healy knew it wasn't out I can perfectly understand Lara's reaction. The truth of the matter is that if I was given out then yeah I'd have to go but if I could clearly see that the keeper had missed the stumps I'd have a few words with him first.

ret

International Debutant
Well, if it's a YouTube comment it must be true......

See, I watched just about every ball of that series live and I don't remember Waugh ever doing or saying anything along those lines. He's been quoted many times since, in fact, saying he took the catch fairly. A quick google finds nothing of the sort. I think you'll find it's myth.

The catch itself and the video doesn't tell us a lot. The 'bobble' that people see in catches which they think is the ball hitting the ground and rebounding up is often not the case, as players who've taken fair, low catches have told us over the years. I personally, whether on the ground or in the box would have given it not out but only because of lack of conclusive evidence. Waugh claiming it, I have no problem with.
i will take your word on Waugh's quotes as you said that you have watched that series live

i would like to believe that he took it cleanly, but being a little analytical i would watch it once again and hopefully confirm that he took it cleanly

Burgey

i will take your word on Waugh's quotes as you said that you have watched that series live

i would like to believe that he took it cleanly, but being a little analytical i would watch it once again and hopefully confirm that he took it cleanly
The thing is though, it's one thing to look at a replay and see something isn't out. It's quite another to then say "he knew it wasn't out and shouldn't have claimed it".

That famous catch of Waugh's off Lara caused a huge kerfuffle - Michael Holding, I think, labelled him a cheat and he copped a complete bollocking all the way around the WI the whole tour.

For his part, he certainly said he'd caught it fairly. But even if replays show he didn't how can you say he thought otherwise? That case, for mine, is very different to the M Clarke v NZ one in the CH this summer, or Dhoni's off Pietersen last year in England. Looking at those two, I would have thought (but again can't know) that they'd have to know the ball bounced.

Healy's in this instance is probably somewhere in between the two in terms of being able to say he did or did not know it was not out.

ret

International Debutant
The thing is though, it's one thing to look at a replay and see something isn't out. It's quite another to then say "he knew it wasn't out and shouldn't have claimed it".

That famous catch of Waugh's off Lara caused a huge kerfuffle - Michael Holding, I think, labelled him a cheat and he copped a complete bollocking all the way around the WI the whole tour.

For his part, he certainly said he'd caught it fairly. But even if replays show he didn't how can you say he thought otherwise? That case, for mine, is very different to the M Clarke v NZ one in the CH this summer, or Dhoni's off Pietersen last year in England. Looking at those two, I would have thought (but again can't know) that they'd have to know the ball bounced.

Healy's in this instance is probably somewhere in between the two in terms of being able to say he did or did not know it was not out.
interesting PoV

just watched the video btw .... and unfortunately, it appears as a drop

at around 0.43-0.44, you can see that his left hand is on the ground, he appears to be controlling the ball with his right hand and his body is on top of it .... there is little chance of the ball NOT touching the ground, especially when you are controlling it with one hand with your body on top of it

and the big giveaway is that when he is lying on the ground, he swaps the ball from his right hand to his left hand, which is not possible without the ball not being on the ground for a few moments .... then claims the catch!!!!

sadly, it appears as if he did claim a dropped catch and there are little chances of him not knowing that esp considering that he made the switch from his right hand to the left when lying on the ground

Attachments

Burgey

interesting PoV

just watched the video btw .... and unfortunately, it appears as a drop

at around 0.43-0.44, you can see that his left hand is on the ground, he appears to be controlling the ball with his right hand and his body is on top of it .... there is little chance of the ball NOT touching the ground, especially when you are controlling it with one hand with your body on top of it

and the big giveaway is that when he is lying on the ground, he swaps the ball from his right hand to his left hand, which is not possible without the ball not being on the ground for a few moments .... then claims the catch!!!!

sadly, it appears as if he did claim a dropped catch and there are little chances of him not knowing that esp considering that he made the switch from his right hand to the left when lying on the ground
I can see your POV, and the differences show just how contentious this sort of thing can be.

All I would say is, do you reckon Waugh (or indeed any fielder) consciously moves in a certain way when taking a catch like that? I know when I take a tumbling catch (which is rarely) as I get up I don't replay the catch in my mind and think "As I juggled it around in my hands, I wonder whether it hit the ground" coz I'm more excited at having taken it. Also, if I know it's hit the ground, my natural reaction will be one of disappointment rather than what looks to others like a spontaneously jubilant reaction.

I just think we sometimes imbue in these fellas a sort of knowledge of what's going on which they can't reasonably be expected to have. Again, I use Waugh's case as an example, but also (again) Symonds at the WACA v SL, compared with Clarke v NZ or Dhoni v England, both of which were bounces in front of a fielder taking a catch, and bounces well in front of them.