View Poll Results: Who is the best ODI batsman of all time?

Voters
66. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sachin Tendulkar

29 43.94%
  • Sir Vivian Richards

19 28.79%
  • Michael Bevan

15 22.73%
  • Ashish Nehra

3 4.55%
Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Best ODI batsman?

ret
    when Ponting didn't work, they brought in Gilly

wonder who they will bring in next?
    Fastest gun in town

Cricket Champion! Jackpot Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by ret View Post
    now if someone brings in someone who gives you x runs of x or less balls, i.e. then does than make him better than Gilly?
    I am not sure what you mean? If he has better output, maybe? I used that as an example to show how their output is actually very similar. And if it hinges on a 'big game' I'd pick Gilchrist.

If I were making an all-time XI they'd line-up together to open.
    ★★★★★

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by social View Post
    WCs Finals (the only games that matter btw)
    No, they're not. If you don't perform well in preliminaries, you don't reach finals. Performance in all World Cup games is absolutely crucial (apart from the occasional dead one, obviously).
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    No, they're not. If you don't perform well in preliminaries, you don't reach finals. Performance in all World Cup games is absolutely crucial (apart from the occasional dead one, obviously).
    Let's stop pointing out the obvious. All the matches 'matter' but when you're discussing the best and wish to split them in the hardest times that they can ply their magic then you are talking about the finals - definitely not the prelims.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Good point

Is Gilchrist, who has arguably won Oz 3 WCs Finals (the only games that matter btw) on the trot, the best ever?
    Sorry, I didn't know that every team was guaranteed to play in the final.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    Oh right. You are right, Tendulkar is 0/1. In your mind, apparently, this is enough. You will be OK when I use 0/1 as proof of failure when discussing other players?

Oh, and Tendulkar averages 57 in world cups. So obviously no games in the world cup matters. Except the one final he was in. Of course, you don't need to do anything to get to the final...that's not important at all.

Oh, and who was the man of the tournament in World Cup 2003? I guess scoring 673 runs in the World Cup is not performing when it matters. Let's judge his 16 year career on one day.
    It makes perfect sense though, Manan. Just forget the fact that Ponting has only scored more than 50 in a World Cup final on one occasion, in four attempts. In a WC final he's only scored more than Tendulkar's average on two occasions, but on one of those occasions Australia lost. Aravinda scored 107 not out in that game. His average in finals is infinite. He averages less than Ponting, but he has an infinitely higher average in World Cup finals, when it counts.
    Sreesanth said, "Next ball he was beaten and I said, 'is this the King Charles Lara? Who is this impostor, moving around nervously? I should have kept my mouth shut for the next ball - mind you, it was a length ball - Lara just pulled it over the church beyond the boundary! He is a true legend."

Quote Originally Posted by KaZoH0lic View Post
    Let's stop pointing out the obvious. All the matches 'matter' but when you're discussing the best and wish to split them in the hardest times that they can ply their magic then you are talking about the finals - definitely not the prelims.
    No, if you're talking about the hardest times, you have to pick the entire world cup. Basing any kind of conclusion of n=1 is completely and utterly insane. Ridiculously so. I am shocked people can't see that.

And even picking a single world cup is ridiculous, though less so.
    Last edited by silentstriker; 28-05-2008 at 01:09 PM.

Sorry, I didn't know that every team was guaranteed to play in the final.
    If only Brian Lara knew about that. It would have been his only chance at this title.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Saying "World Cup finals are the only games that matter" is nonsense. Pure and simple. No-one in their right minds is going to judge a disproportionate amount by a game that occurs once every 4 years.

Must say, that I find it incredibly ironic to see all this "love" for Tendy after everyone wanted him dropped a year ago

The fact remains that, although an incredibly brilliant player, his ODI record is padded (and I'm not going to point out that his WC record is almost entirely due to pummeling crap sides)

Give me the players that perform under pressure every time I'm afraid

Give me the players that perform under pressure every time I'm afraid
    Except you claimed Ponting was that player and his record in WC finals isn't always good either...he didn't perform every time and if he just happened to not get there again he would be a bad player?
    Last edited by silentstriker; 28-05-2008 at 01:19 PM.

Must say, that I find it incredibly ironic to see all this "love" for Tendy after everyone wanted him dropped a year ago
    Why is it ironic? I could want him dropped right now because he may no longer be good, but that doesn't mean he was never good.
    Last edited by silentstriker; 28-05-2008 at 01:18 PM.

ret
    I am not sure what you mean? If he has better output, maybe? I used that as an example to show how their output is actually very similar. And if it hinges on a 'big game' I'd pick Gilchrist.

If I were making an all-time XI they'd line-up together to open.
    take someone who scores 8 runs less than Gilly from run a ball or less, does that make him better than Gilly?

Gilly 36 [thats 8 less than Tendulkar] of 37 balls
    xyz 28 [thats 8 less than Gilly] of 28 or less balls

is xyz > Gilly?

No, if you're talking about the hardest times, you have to pick the entire world cup. Basing any kind of conclusion of n=1 is completely and utterly insane. Ridiculously so. I am shocked people can't see that.

And even picking a single world cup is ridiculous, though less so.

Well, it goes a bit further than that. If you count everything other than prelims (quarters, semis and finals) both Ponting and Gilchrist are again superior to Sachin. Ponting just but Gilchrist much further ahead. He averages 50.5 at and SR of 120.

So a performance in the final trumps several performances on the way there?

Ricky Ponting in World Cups (not including the final): 32 innings, 1290 runs @ 44.48
    Ricky Ponting in World Cup finals: 4 innings, 247 runs @ 82.33
    Sachin Tendulkar in World Cups (not including the final): 34 innings, 1792 runs @ 59.73
    Sachin Tendulkar in World Cup finals: 1 innings, 4 runs @ 4.00

Doesn't say much IMO.

Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread Information