• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in England

Should Freddy be included in team for the second Test?

• Total voters

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
These games are on a par with the County games against the Universities.
And not surprisingly, the likes of Turner and Munday have played all or mostly those games and no others (so far at least).

And it's been very similar for ages. In 2002 I remember a fellow called NEL Gunter playing for Derbyshire against some UCCE or other, then being belted by the Indians 5 months later. They were the only games he played all season.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
And not surprisingly, the likes of Turner and Munday have played all or mostly those games and no others (so far at least).

And it's been very similar for ages. In 2002 I remember a fellow called NEL Gunter playing for Derbyshire against some UCCE or other, then being belted by the Indians 5 months later. They were the only games he played all season.
It goes miles further back than 2002, another decade at least.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Oh, yeah, of course it does, I know that - 2002 was merely the first time I saw an example of it. Was the first season I really took big notice of the domestic game and exactly who was playing for who.

BTW, dammit at de Bruyn being run-out after 1 ball. Was hoping he might've got a few. Somerset reduced to 148 for 6 as Morkel (who has bowled far, far too many no-balls yet again) removes Durston for a 79-ball 60.

Last edited:

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Was hoping he might've got a few. Somerset reduced to 148 for 6 as Morkel (who has bowled far, far too many no-balls yet again) removes Durston for a 79-ball 60.
Cut him some slack, he is just returning from injury and has taken 3 wickets on a very flat track.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
If it was exclusive to when he was returing from injury, I would, but it's not. It's a problem that's so far bedevilled him regardless of how fit or otherwise he is.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
If it was exclusive to when he was returing from injury, I would, but it's not. It's a problem that's so far bedevilled him regardless of how fit or otherwise he is.
True, but an improvement is more than unlikely after returning from an injury which directly affects delivery stride.

Langeveldt

Soutie
I'm more concerned with how he is bowling in general, and he was by far and away SA's best bowler today, has got a yard on everyone else in the squad.. Nel looked good too, but Ntini and Harris looked like they had just got off the plane

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
I dont know if it has been noted yet in here, but interestingly 6 of the top 7 for South Africa in this game (with Smith to come in) average under 40 in Test cricket.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I dont know if it has been noted yet in here, but interestingly 6 of the top 7 for South Africa in this game (with Smith to come in) average under 40 in Test cricket.
Prince averages a tick over 40 actually. Granted that's inflated by games against Zimbabwe.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
SA has some of the most bowler friendly conditions in test cricket but, Kallis aside, the batsmen dont help themselves by having less than stellar techniques

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'm more concerned with how he is bowling in general, and he was by far and away SA's best bowler today, has got a yard on everyone else in the squad.. Nel looked good too, but Ntini and Harris looked like they had just got off the plane
The no-balls are all part of how he's bowling in general. Morkel is still what he's always been - far from the finished article.

Harris I don't really expect much from on a flat wicket on a tiny ground, his value will only come if the wickets turn... and if they don't in the Tests I don't want him to play.

Heck, with the opening game at Headingley (unless someone has decided to try their damndest to prepare a turner, which may or may not be possible with the soil type there) it should be seam, seam and more seam. Really, really hope Nel plays in the opening game.

Ntini, well, he's always had has good days and his off-days. Won't worry too much yet.

PY

International Coach
Haha that interview with Caddick is gold.

""My attitude always is, if you can't bowl them out, get them out by hurting them," he said. "It's as simple as that - get them out of the way. I'm sure he'll be alright, he's a strong lad, but as far as I was concerned, I was quite happy he left the field. To be leaving the field he'll be in pain, and if he's in pain, that's good for me. [In these conditions], you've got to work your arse off to get the best out of yourself, and the wicket."

Niiiccceee.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Got injured after our opening game IIRR. Now he's fit again.

Usually, that tends to be what happens to players who pick-up an injury. :p

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
England look set to name an unchanged side barring late injuries...would be the first time any team has named the same side for 6 matches.

Expect 2 changes for the second test after an innings defeat.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Haha, yeah, think that's about the only thing that would spring the winds of change now. Reckon if England were to keep winning Bell, Collingwood and Broad could be in the side forever as long as they remained fit, even if they were to average 3, 6 and 54 for the rest of their Test careers respectively.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Why is Prince leading the side when Kallis is available ? I understand it would be because he is the Vice captain of the touring party - but why ?

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Why is Prince leading the side when Kallis is available ? I understand it would be because he is the Vice captain of the touring party - but why ?
... and why do South Africa want to bat on with a lead of over 250? What are they doing for the longer version of the game? All efforts to revive spectator interests in the first class game are needed to keep the interest in Test matches going.

This is just not right.